Retainer impressions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Matilda

Retainer impressions

#1 Post by Matilda »

How and when are they usually taken? I'm a little confused and worried. At my next appointment I'll be partially debraced and fitted with a lower fixed retainer already.
Last edited by Matilda on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samoorelaw

Re: Retainer impressions

#2 Post by samoorelaw »

Matilda wrote:How and when are they usually taken? I'm a little confused and worried because at my next appointment I'll be partially debraced and fitted with fixed retainers already but my orthodontist never mentioned any other retainers to me.
Hi,

My understanding is they are usually taken on the day your braces are removed and then you have to wait a few days to get them (if you're getting Hawleys, but sometimes the ortho can make the Essix on site and you can have them that same day or a day later). What retainers would you choose, Hawley or Essix? My ortho recommends Hawley for me but he said either one is good.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

Matilda

#3 Post by Matilda »

samoorelaw wrote:
Matilda wrote:How and when are they usually taken? I'm a little confused and worried. At my next appointment I'll be partially debraced and fitted with a lower fixed retainer already.
Hi,

My understanding is they are usually taken on the day your braces are removed and then you have to wait a few days to get them (if you're getting Hawleys, but sometimes the ortho can make the Essix on site and you can have them that same day or a day later). What retainers would you choose, Hawley or Essix? My ortho recommends Hawley for me but he said either one is good.
I see. If possible, I'd rather go with Hawleys. What about you?

samoorelaw

#4 Post by samoorelaw »

Matilda wrote:
samoorelaw wrote:
Matilda wrote:How and when are they usually taken? I'm a little confused and worried. At my next appointment I'll be partially debraced and fitted with a lower fixed retainer already.
Hi,

I see. If possible, I'd rather go with Hawleys. What about you?
My ortho recommends Hawleys for now because I need 8 crowns on my upper teeth (acid reflux disease ruined the enamel on the backs of my teeth). Plus, I've read that the Hawleys are more comfortable because they allow your teeth to breathe, are more durable, and allow your teeth to come together in a more natural bite. On the other hand, I want the Essix too because 1) you don't lisp as much, and I talk for a living so am self-conscious about lisping, 2) I like that they are practically invisible, 3) you can use them as whitening trays, and 4) my ortho can make the retainers on site, so I would have them the same day of the braces removal instead of having to wait 4 days to get the Hawleys (I'm so concerned my teeth will shift a lot in 4 days while waiting for my retainers). I can have both, but it will cost me $350 to get the Essix, and it would cost another $175 to replace the upper Essix after the crowns...
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

sirwired

#5 Post by sirwired »

I have a lower Hawley and both an Essix and Hawley for my upper; the Hawley to be worn at night, the Essix to be worn during the day if I don't want to wear the Hawley for aesthetic reasons.

I prefer the upper Hawley over the Essix. For starters, it's more comfortable. The position my teeth were in on de-bracing day is not exactly where my bite wants to settle. It means that whenever I put the Essix in, it hurts for a few minutes while my teeth shift the fraction of an mm they need to so they actually fit the thing. The Hawley is sturdier, and easier to remove and clean.

Now, I work from home... if I worked directly with the public all the time, I might use the Essix more. (If I was just working in an office with a few people... don't see why they'd mind the Hawley if they didn't mind the braces.)

Yeah, you will talk funny for a few days... the best advice I've seen is to spend all your home time reading aloud to yourself. That will quickly train your tongue muscles to adjust. Unless you talk all day at work, you can pop it out for a big meeting, and then put it back in when you are done.

gramma2xander

#6 Post by gramma2xander »

Hi, Im getting impressions on sept 15, then going back on oct 9 , to get braces removed and get my Hawley retainers.

DrJasonKTam

#7 Post by DrJasonKTam »

For Hawleys or circumferential retainers, the impression can be taken with the braces on and no wire, with the lab removing the brackets from your model and creating your retainer, or the impression can be taken after your braces are removed.

For the impression with braces on, the accuracy may be marginally different, but still excellent, and you have a retainer ready for your debond visit, saving you a trip back, and making sure you don't go any time after debond without a retainer.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

kathydell

#8 Post by kathydell »

I'm getting Essix with debrace and then impressions & retainer in the same visit. Scary!

SunshineRay

#9 Post by SunshineRay »

I have Essix and got debraced, impressions and then waited 30 mins (maybe more) and they had my retainer ready. It was about a 2 hr appt altogether.

MrsCharisma

#10 Post by MrsCharisma »

Like gramma2xander, I will get impressions done on one visit and then come back in ~3 weeks to have braces removed and receive retainers.

You should ask your ortho what s/he does. Seems like it varies widely!

Also, because of my diastema, I am getting an upper fixed retainer and then Essix. Last time with braces I had a Hawley. So we'll see how it works out.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]