use only permanent retainer.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Troubled

Re: use only permanent retainer.

#16 Post by Troubled »

sirwired wrote:
Troubled wrote:
sirwired wrote:While my Essix didn't gag me, it did bite into my gums. A few minutes with a knife by the ortho and it was all fixed.

Whatever you do, ASK your ortho; it's part of what you've paid for! (And do this soon! Relapse happens the fastest right after the braces come off.) This is totally the WRONG place to be asking if you need your removable retainer or not; we are not your orthodontist. We have no idea what movements were made, or what is likely to relapse.

But I will say it's not a bold leap to assume you need it, or your ortho would not have supplied it.
now its not make me rly gag. but i cant rly close my mouth 100% the front teeth and bottom not rly close 100% with that..its like Mouth breathing...
i dont want my jaws Change because retainer...or to make long face syndrom ya i said that again.. i dont want..
what i should do... its not 100% close mouth...
Purge the phrase "Long Mouth Syndrome" from your vocabulary. If you had it, it was corrected (or not) by your orthodontic treatment. Mouth breathing causes a narrow palate during development; since you are posting here, you are an adult. If you mouth breathe for the rest of your life, it'll give you nasty breath in the morning, but it won't do anything at all to your palate.

Not wearing your retainer as in instructed WILL cause your orthodontic treatment to fail.

I think you will be much happier with your teeth if you learn to trust your orthodontist.
mouth syndrome? palate? i talking aboth Long Face Syndrome..its just seems to easy to get it and this scary..
i ask she if i need treatment to wide the palate.. she say i dont need that..and this only for people with narrow palate...

but i got permanent retainer. why it will fail? have people only with that. so why they not fail? i dont get it..

joeyyeo

#17 Post by joeyyeo »

If you continue to think that you can live with only your permanent retainer, whatever people say is not going to change your mind. Why bother asking for opinions when you're not going to accept it? Go ahead, don't wear your removable retainer, then come back in a few months time and update us on your condition. If your teeth didn't shift, good for you. If they did, you certainly can't say that we didn't warn you about it. Ultimately, you paid for braces, whether or not you want to keep your teeth in good shape afterwards is up to you. I'm getting quite annoyed reading your responses to other people who constantly tell you that despite having a permanent retainer, a removable one is still important. Obviously your ortho gave it to you for a reason.
Upper braces off after 636 days!

Troubled

#18 Post by Troubled »

joeyyeo wrote:If you continue to think that you can live with only your permanent retainer, whatever people say is not going to change your mind. Why bother asking for opinions when you're not going to accept it? Go ahead, don't wear your removable retainer, then come back in a few months time and update us on your condition. If your teeth didn't shift, good for you. If they did, you certainly can't say that we didn't warn you about it. Ultimately, you paid for braces, whether or not you want to keep your teeth in good shape afterwards is up to you. I'm getting quite annoyed reading your responses to other people who constantly tell you that despite having a permanent retainer, a removable one is still important. Obviously your ortho gave it to you for a reason.
you right. i talk aith my ortho.. she say i must to wear that...
but im rly afraid it will make me some Problem like open bite or Long Face Syndrom .. because teeth dont fit 100%.. that why im afraid to use that...
i dont know what to do ..

she say to wear that only at night.
is matter if i do it at night for 6-7 hours..
or at the day ? for 6-9 hours? this the same.

cata

#19 Post by cata »

Troubled, my understanding is that a permanent retainer is supposed to help keep your teeth in place in conjunction with using a removable retainer. The removable retainer is what's most important, as it's going to keep your teeth in the correct position better than a permanent retainer alone, especially if you recently got your braces off. Your teeth are more likely to shift during this time. After wearing your removable retainers for quite some time, giving your teeth ample time to settle into their new positions, relying solely on the permanent retainers may not be such a big deal. If your retainer is causing you to gag and not be able to close your mouth, then that's an issue you need to talk to your orthodontist about. I'm sure they'll be able to fix it for you. Personally, I plan to wear my permanent retainer nightly for the rest of my life. After all, I'm paying a lot of money and don't want to have to pay for a second round of treatment because I simply didn't wear my retainer.

Troubled

#20 Post by Troubled »

cata wrote:Troubled, my understanding is that a permanent retainer is supposed to help keep your teeth in place in conjunction with using a removable retainer. The removable retainer is what's most important, as it's going to keep your teeth in the correct position better than a permanent retainer alone, especially if you recently got your braces off. Your teeth are more likely to shift during this time. After wearing your removable retainers for quite some time, giving your teeth ample time to settle into their new positions, relying solely on the permanent retainers may not be such a big deal. If your retainer is causing you to gag and not be able to close your mouth, then that's an issue you need to talk to your orthodontist about. I'm sure they'll be able to fix it for you. Personally, I plan to wear my permanent retainer nightly for the rest of my life. After all, I'm paying a lot of money and don't want to have to pay for a second round of treatment because I simply didn't wear my retainer.
its fine. im start doing that too. its not so bad now..ye u all right. i need that.

DrJasonKTam

#21 Post by DrJasonKTam »

The fixed retainer will hold the teeth that it is attached to. Any teeth not attached to the wired retainer can move. The removable retainer on the upper is supposed to help maintain the changes to the posterior teeth.

Often an upper removable is enough and no lower one is needed if the bite is good and there were not a lot of changes to the lower posterior, since the upper teeth will usually hold the lower ones in place.

Unless there were no changes to the back teeth, which is very rare, you will be susceptible to relapse of the back teeth if there is nothing holding them. Hope that helps!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

sirwired

#22 Post by sirwired »

Troubled wrote:mouth syndrome? palate? i talking aboth Long Face Syndrome..its just seems to easy to get it and this scary..
i ask she if i need treatment to wide the palate.. she say i dont need that..and this only for people with narrow palate...

but i got permanent retainer. why it will fail? have people only with that. so why they not fail? i dont get it..
Please read what I wrote. You cannot just "get" long-face syndrome as an adult. It is a developmental problem; as in, it occurs during growth. An adult palate cannot shrink on it's own, no matter how much you breathe through the mouth.

If your ortho specifically said you don't need to widen the palate, why don't you believe her? She says you need the removable retainer. Why don't you believe her? Are you expecting the completely untrained people with no access to your case records that post on this message board to tell you she's wrong? There are people that only have a permanent retainer. Those people may have had a treatment that does not require retention of all the teeth. Your ortho apparently believes your rear teeth do.

Troubled

#23 Post by Troubled »

sirwired wrote:
Troubled wrote:mouth syndrome? palate? i talking aboth Long Face Syndrome..its just seems to easy to get it and this scary..

Please read what I wrote. You cannot just "get" long-face syndrome as an adult. It is a developmental problem; as in, it occurs during growth. An adult palate cannot shrink on it's own, no matter how much you breathe through the mouth.

If your ortho specifically said you don't need to widen the palate, why don't you believe her? She says you need the removable retainer. Why don't you believe her? Are you expecting the completely untrained people with no access to your case records that post on this message board to tell you she's wrong? There are people that only have a permanent retainer. Those people may have had a treatment that does not require retention of all the teeth. Your ortho apparently believes your rear teeth do.
also i ask she aboth long face syndrome. she say i dont got any syndrome and i need to bealive her because she was learn aboth that. and i dont got it.
aboth retainer:

im listen. im start to be with the removable retainer. also this i just want to know what you think. she tell me to be with that only night. that 6-7hours.
what if i want to be with that all day? and not on night? and that muce more. its matter night or day? (on day i be with that longer).

kathydell

#24 Post by kathydell »

Try using just the top or the bottom retainer to start. I'm struggling with the same gag reflex thing. Debraced yesterday. I was fine yesterday afternoon and all night but this morning having both in is making me gag wicked. I tried just the bottom and it's so much better. I figure after lunch I'll try adding the upper in. Maybe just like brackets, it's easier to get used to in steps. But like everyone is saying, you have to find a solution and you have to talk with your ortho or your treatment will fail.

t1ckalish

#25 Post by t1ckalish »

I was debraced a few days ago. I have an upper bonded retainer and also upper and lower Essix retainers.

I've to wear these 24hrs a day for a fortnight and then every night for life thereafter. I was warned that 6 hours overnight just wont cut it, I have to try to wear them for around 10 - 12 hours per night.

They made me gag too initially, but I also wore a 'nance' for around 2 years and the gaggin feeling wore off within a day or so.

Stick with it, sooner or later they wont make you gag. Will be much better for you to wear them as instructed by your ortho. If she says nightly wear then you should wear them at night.