use only permanent retainer.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Troubled

use only permanent retainer.

#1 Post by Troubled »

ok hey.
im finish with braces. and i got Permanent Rethineron my top and bottom. I do not even feel it, it's perfect, I just love it.. :D

my doctor give me In addition Removable retainer for the top only for night for half year. but i cant use it.
It makes me gag reflex, I can not use it, it's terrible. :(
I tried 10-15 times but each time it is impossible because of the reflex.

i see people use only Permanent Ratainer or only Removable Rethainer. doctor give me both i think only to be 100% safe.
but srs i cant use it. just cant no matter what u or the doctor say. i cant.

i am week with only Permanent Retainer and i dont see any move. teeth stay the same. i can live like that? without the Removable? i have top and bottom so i dont rly afraid of teeth move.

i am just want to know if its fine what am i doing. because i see people use or this or this. but i got both. but i cant with the Removable.
i want to be only with the Permanent.

i can? i should be fine if i will do that?
From what I've read it permanent retainer powerful thing, keeps the teeth, and does the job. This should be enough right?

Snowglobe32

Re: use only permanent retainer.

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

It is a really bad idea to not use your removable retainers.

The permanent only holds certain teeth. I have seen photos of people who have worn only the permanent and the teeth not attached to a permanent, caved in.

Why risk it?

I also know people with permanent retainers and their teeth have also shifted a bit...

It is not worth all the time and money spent to not wear your retainers properly.

If you have an Hawley, ask for an Essix.

Troubled

#3 Post by Troubled »

Snowglobe32 wrote:It is a really bad idea to not use your removable retainers.

The permanent only holds certain teeth. I have seen photos of people who have worn only the permanent and the teeth not attached to a permanent, caved in.

Why risk it?

I also know people with permanent retainers and their teeth have also shifted a bit...

It is not worth all the time and money spent to not wear your retainers properly.

If you have an Hawley, ask for an Essix.
i got the Essix. i just cant. i told you its the reflax.. i cant.
i dont risk it .. i have permanent retainer.. its not like i dont have retainer..i got. if i was not have permanent i will use the other retainer even if it will make my reflax to dead hah. but i got retainer.
i am week ''free'' and i dont see any move. not even 1mm.
i see alot of people also say thay with permanent retainer for years and its perfect.

boodles8

#4 Post by boodles8 »

I suggest you contact your ortho. You can't be the first patient they've encountered with a strong gag reflex. He will know for sure whether you definitely need the removable, and he may have ideas to help you use it if he's sure you need to.
Boodles8

Braced July, 2012
BSSO August, 2013
Debraced October 2, 2014

Snowglobe32

#5 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Good luck to you.

Anna5

#6 Post by Anna5 »

Hello!

When I finish my treatment my ortho plans to only give me a permanent retainer, top and bottom. And not a removable retainer. My ortho thinks that is ok, but I am not sure.....

Troubled

#7 Post by Troubled »

Anna5 wrote:Hello!

When I finish my treatment my ortho plans to only give me a permanent retainer, top and bottom. And not a removable retainer. My ortho thinks that is ok, but I am not sure.....
you rly dont trust youre ortho?

MrsCharisma

#8 Post by MrsCharisma »

Troubled wrote:ok hey.
im finish with braces. and i got Permanent Rethineron my top and bottom. I do not even feel it, it's perfect, I just love it.. :D

my doctor give me In addition Removable retainer for the top only for night for half year. but i cant use it.
It makes me gag reflex, I can not use it, it's terrible. :(
I tried 10-15 times but each time it is impossible because of the reflex.

i see people use only Permanent Ratainer or only Removable Rethainer. doctor give me both i think only to be 100% safe.
but srs i cant use it. just cant no matter what u or the doctor say. i cant.

i am week with only Permanent Retainer and i dont see any move. teeth stay the same. i can live like that? without the Removable? i have top and bottom so i dont rly afraid of teeth move.

i am just want to know if its fine what am i doing. because i see people use or this or this. but i got both. but i cant with the Removable.
i want to be only with the Permanent.

i can? i should be fine if i will do that?
From what I've read it permanent retainer powerful thing, keeps the teeth, and does the job. This should be enough right?
No, it's not enough. No, it's not powerful enough on it's own to stop your teeth from moving.

TALK to your ortho and tell him. I assure you, you aren't the first person whose retainer induced gag reflex.

Don't waste all the money, time and aggravation that you've spent getting your teeth fixed. You NEED your removable retainers!!!

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

sirwired

#9 Post by sirwired »

While my Essix didn't gag me, it did bite into my gums. A few minutes with a knife by the ortho and it was all fixed.

Whatever you do, ASK your ortho; it's part of what you've paid for! (And do this soon! Relapse happens the fastest right after the braces come off.) This is totally the WRONG place to be asking if you need your removable retainer or not; we are not your orthodontist. We have no idea what movements were made, or what is likely to relapse.

But I will say it's not a bold leap to assume you need it, or your ortho would not have supplied it.

Anna5

#10 Post by Anna5 »

Troubled wrote:
Anna5 wrote:Hello!

you rly dont trust youre ortho?

I definitely want to trust my ortho, but since I read everywhere here on the forum people having to wear removable retainers for 24 hours a day during the first time after braces, I want to be sure that only a bonded retainer is ok in some cases.... I definitely want to be 100% sure that my teeth/ molars don't shift back....

Troubled

#11 Post by Troubled »

sirwired wrote:While my Essix didn't gag me, it did bite into my gums. A few minutes with a knife by the ortho and it was all fixed.

Whatever you do, ASK your ortho; it's part of what you've paid for! (And do this soon! Relapse happens the fastest right after the braces come off.) This is totally the WRONG place to be asking if you need your removable retainer or not; we are not your orthodontist. We have no idea what movements were made, or what is likely to relapse.

But I will say it's not a bold leap to assume you need it, or your ortho would not have supplied it.
now its not make me rly gag. but i cant rly close my mouth 100% the front teeth and bottom not rly close 100% with that..its like Mouth breathing...
i dont want my jaws Change because retainer...or to make long face syndrom ya i said that again.. i dont want..
what i should do... its not 100% close mouth...

cata

#12 Post by cata »

You need to speak with your orthodontist about it.

MrsCharisma

#13 Post by MrsCharisma »

Sorry to be blunt, but you want someone here to tell you that it's okay to ignore your ortho and only wear your bonded retainers.

But the thing is, it isn't okay. And you really need to go and explain the problem to your ortho.

People are trying to prevent you from being back here again in braces like some of US (yeah, I did full ortho as an adult and didn't wear my removable retainer as instructed).

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

Troubled

#14 Post by Troubled »

MrsCharisma wrote:Sorry to be blunt, but you want someone here to tell you that it's okay to ignore your ortho and only wear your bonded retainers.

But the thing is, it isn't okay. And you really need to go and explain the problem to your ortho.

People are trying to prevent you from being back here again in braces like some of US (yeah, I did full ortho as an adult and didn't wear my removable retainer as instructed).
hey. im dont ignore. i will talk with she aboth that.
but you dont wear them when you dont have permanent Retainer.. i do.
i just dont think its rly matter because have people who got only permanent or only removable.. so im just try to ask..
i will talk with my ortho too

sirwired

#15 Post by sirwired »

Troubled wrote:
sirwired wrote:While my Essix didn't gag me, it did bite into my gums. A few minutes with a knife by the ortho and it was all fixed.

now its not make me rly gag. but i cant rly close my mouth 100% the front teeth and bottom not rly close 100% with that..its like Mouth breathing...
i dont want my jaws Change because retainer...or to make long face syndrom ya i said that again.. i dont want..
what i should do... its not 100% close mouth...
Purge the phrase "Long Mouth Syndrome" from your vocabulary. If you had it, it was corrected (or not) by your orthodontic treatment. Mouth breathing causes a narrow palate during development; since you are posting here, you are an adult. If you mouth breathe for the rest of your life, it'll give you nasty breath in the morning, but it won't do anything at all to your palate.

Not wearing your retainer as in instructed WILL cause your orthodontic treatment to fail.

I think you will be much happier with your teeth if you learn to trust your orthodontist.