List of food that can discolour braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

samoorelaw

Re: List of food that can discolour braces

#16 Post by samoorelaw »

Beckley816 wrote:I'm surprised no one said mustard!
Um, I did. ;)
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

polishedprefect

#17 Post by polishedprefect »

[quote="sirwired"]I had metal braces and silver ligs, and nothing stains those, but I do know that hot tea stained my teeth [i]horribly[/i]. I was horrified at what they looked like compared to the nice, white, "square" that was revealed during a bracket repo. The braces inhibit the natural "wiping" action of your lips, so the stain doesn't get wiped off. (In the same fashion that a mug you don't wipe gets tea-stained really easy.) I gave up tea entirely after that until the braces came off.[/quote]

I'm terrified of this happening to me! I'm a coffee drinker and am always swishing water around afterwards to accommodate the lack of "wiping," as you described. Perhaps I should give it up until the braces come off.

mapleleafman888

#18 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Ambrosia80 wrote:Yep, definitely agree about tomato sauce, especially for my power chain.
Yeah, sadly. Those grey power chains us damon wearers are given stain really bad...my first one turned bright yellowish green after 6 weeks so I requested a dark blue chain and the assistant reluctantly gave me one. Now they know I want the blue so I'm in my 2nd blue chain, they like to snap at the very back though.

The most staining things for me have been:

curry based foods
tomato sauce
mustard
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

SkyWolf

#19 Post by SkyWolf »

Only two foods I ate in the entire time I had braces changed the colors of my ligs which were baby pink and baby blue. That was mustard and baby carrots. Though for the record I did tend to prefer bright and darker colors.

currystained

#20 Post by currystained »

Curry *snort*

ItsFreyja

#21 Post by ItsFreyja »

What about beer? Do brown ales stain? I'm genuinely curious (getting braced next week).

aspiromusings

#22 Post by aspiromusings »

I have damon q clear braces and absolutely nothing stains them period, at least nothing I've consumed thus far i.e. coffee, tea, curries etc

think its got to do with the fact that I have no ligatures
Blog - http://aspiroisbraced.blogspot.com/

Top Braces on 20th March 2015

Bottom braces on 28th August 2015

Top premolars extracted 25th April 2015

Debraced 15th December 2017 :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :-*

Loislane

#23 Post by Loislane »

Bless this thread. I am basically surviving on complan. Kill me now!

EmilyTravels

#24 Post by EmilyTravels »

aspiromusings wrote: Sun May 03, 2015 6:40 pm I have damon q clear braces and absolutely nothing stains them period, at least nothing I've consumed thus far i.e. coffee, tea, curries etc

think its got to do with the fact that I have no ligatures
Ditto! I have eaten pretty much everything, including blueberries, curry, red wine, etc. No staining of my ceramic brackets (on top). It's the ligatures that stain, not the brackets. One advantage of self-ligating brackets...though the pain at wire changes is a big downside for me (and is covered in a different thread).

Emscrowding

#25 Post by Emscrowding »

Will primarily drinking through a straw help reduce staining? My ortho office recommended using pearl blue ligs with my ceramic braces because they stain less noticeably.

assertives

#26 Post by assertives »

Emscrowding wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:01 pm Will primarily drinking through a straw help reduce staining? My ortho office recommended using pearl blue ligs with my ceramic braces because they stain less noticeably.
Yes, drinking with a straw helps to bypass the front of your teeth thus reducing the chance at staining. Staining on the pearl blue will definitely look less obvious than the clear ones.

I didn't really bother take precautions to prevent staining cos I kinda felt if I was going eat/drink something that is likely to stain, I might as well own it and let the staining be even. It would really look odd if some parts stain and others don't. :lol:

GemmaRVN

#27 Post by GemmaRVN »

[quote=homegrown post_id=454896 time=1407661926 user_id=23638]
Good thread!

Just a quick tip. If im at home, i will have tea/coffee with a straw, thus bypassing all the front teeth ensuring no risk of staining. I also think that tea is low risk for staining, provided it has milk in it and you have some water to swish around your mouth after a cup.

Another one to add is curry.....sadly :(
[/quote]

This is a great tip. I’ve been thinking how I would survive without cups of tea but a straw is the answer ! :)

ReaJT

#28 Post by ReaJT »

I really wish I'd given this more consideration before I got my ceramic braces. I am constantly worried about what is going to stain the clear ligatures and clear powerchain. I sometimes think self ligating braces might have been a better choice for me...

I had a sweet and sour from the Chinese takeaway the other night and now they look decidedly yellow. I am getting pretty bored of avoiding tomato sauces, curry, soy sauce, gravy, etc. I never thought I'd see the day I was bored of creamy pasta sauces but its fast approaching. I'm also going for a Chinese meal this weekend and have resigned myself to the fact in going to have to have dry chicken fried rice. If I wasn't going on holiday in a couple of weeks I wouldn't be worrying so much but I don't want a big yellow grin in all the pictures.

Last time I was in I asked my ortho if I could get wire ties but he said no. :-(

If I get my powerchain off the next time I am thinking of getting coloured bands. I am going to Turkey on holiday in a couple of months and want to be able to eat whatever I want without worrying I'll have a yellow smile throughout the holiday. Figuring starting with it bright pink or blue would look less silly but then I'm 32 years old. They are so discreet when the bands have just been changed it seems stupid to put coloured bands on them.

Anyone got any experience with bright pink bands? Do they change colour? I think that might be my next choice! :D

stellamaris

#29 Post by stellamaris »

Do you guys think carrot soup would stain braces? I was thinking I would make a batch of that to have on hand right off the bat, but now I'm wondering if it's just asking for trouble.

gira23

#30 Post by gira23 »

[quote=stellamaris post_id=500959 time=1521155868 user_id=31562]
Do you guys think carrot soup would stain braces? I was thinking I would make a batch of that to have on hand right off the bat, but now I'm wondering if it's just asking for trouble.
[/quote]

I love carrot-ginger soup and ate it frequently when I had braces. It didn't stain them, but I see someone posted earlier in the thread that baby carrots caused staining for them!