Do they clean your teeth before braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AlexO890

Do they clean your teeth before braces?

#1 Post by AlexO890 »

Hey everyone. I'm getting my braces on Tuesday, and I'm wondering if they'll clean my teeth like at the dentist before getting them on, or not? What's been everyone's experiences?

cata

Re: Do they clean your teeth before braces?

#2 Post by cata »

No, they don't in my experience. I got my teeth cleaned at my regular dentist's office. They do put some etching gel (or whatever it's called) on the teeth that are going to have brackets bonded on them, but it's nothing like a regular cleaning.

Mightymildred

#3 Post by Mightymildred »

Hi,
I had a proper hygienist appointment where they charted all my teeth- periodontal pocket depth, scaled, cleaned, polished.
Then went through to a different room where they placed the brackets.
Good luck in your journey. Keep us posted!

Nozzelnut

#4 Post by Nozzelnut »

I didn't get a dental cleaning either. The just did the surface etching and applied the braces.

It doesn't really matter as long as you keep up with the flossing, brushing, rinsing and regular dental cleanings. I know it's a little more difficult, but if you're straightening them you might as well keep them for as long as you can.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

SunshineRay

#5 Post by SunshineRay »

I scheduled a cleaning before my braces were put on but the ortho's office doesnt do cleanings.

sirwired

#6 Post by sirwired »

If there's some visible crud that's going to get in the way of the glue, I suppose they might, but otherwise, no.

pjade1

#7 Post by pjade1 »

I had three different things put on my teeth before they braced me. The first one was very gritty and then they put a couple of other different kinds of paste on my teeth. It wasn't a scraping cleaning like the dentist does but more of a surface cleaning to prep the teeth for the bonding of the glue to the brackets.
07/14/14 - 4 spacers put in
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/11/14 - 2 spacers put in between the bottom back molars
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too
10/14/14 - new square wire change and thick elastics
04/24/17 - braces removed!!! :BigGrin:

TMJJill

#8 Post by TMJJill »

I had my regular 6 month cleaning about a month before braces went on. The day the braces went on, just a regular brush and floss that I did on my own.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

BracesGuy

#9 Post by BracesGuy »

No they don't.

clearlybracedmomma23

#10 Post by clearlybracedmomma23 »

i made sure to schedule a cleaning with my regular dentist a week before my braces where scheduled to be put on.

la7ush

#11 Post by la7ush »

I presume it depends of the practice. I had mine cleaned by orthodontist (or rather by his assistant) just before they put my braces on.