Read this before getting Fastbraces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kiwi Orthodontist

Read this before getting Fastbraces

#1 Post by Kiwi Orthodontist »

I'm not usually one to comment on forums but this concerns me. Fastbraces run courses for general dentists called "Fastbrace University" in a motel/hotel over just a weekend. If it feels like you are a guinnea pig you probably are. Orthodontists train for 3 years after dentistry at a university.

Fastbraces have a slick marketing campaign. As a dental professional they bombard my inbox with emails saying how to make more money in your practice. While I agree they will work for some people, fastbraces don't do anything differently to any other braces. If they were that good every orthodontist in the world would be using them. If you took standard braces off after 6 months the result would be the same. They straighten the social six front teeth, and even that is a compromise because of the technique.

Like many things - you get what you pay for. The difference between a fastbrace provider and an orthodontist is about 4800hrs of postgraduate training.

If you are thinking of Fastbraces I'd be suggest you get a second opinion. Many orthodontists will do a free or minimal cost consult. You may also be surprised most orthodontists don't charge a full fee for limited treatment - which is what fastbraces are. Fastbraces may cost you a lot for an inferior result by someone comparatively untrained.

Mightymildred

Re: Read this before getting Fastbraces

#2 Post by Mightymildred »

I think this is excellent advice. A friend of mine has had 6month smile treatment. Yes it has straightened her incisors and canines but now she feels like her bite isn't right, her bottom teeth now look more wonky than before...
Oh and the advice given- well you asked us to straighten your top 6 teeth... Its a cosmetic only approach.... So now she has to decide whether to leave as they are and hope the bite improves or have "proper" orthodontic treatment.

sean89

#3 Post by sean89 »

Of course people prefer to be treated by an orthodontist over a cosmetic dentist, but the fact is, an orthodontist charges a hell of a lot more for treatment.

At a certain point and price, people will choose the risk of treatment by a cosmetic dentist over the risk of being treated by an orthodontist.

I have taken such action, but that is only because my complaint is cosmetic and not functional and concerns what I would assume is a pretty simple technique (moving my mandibular incisors forward so as to reduce my overjet).

For lower arch only, I was quoted £2000 from an orthodontist, and £750 from a cosmetic dentist. I think the treatment is simple enough for a cosmetic dentist to carry out but I guess I'll have to find out.

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

That would be a risk I would be unable to accept Sean, but best of luck to you. I don't know if there truly are any "simple" fixes when it comes to moving teeth in a way that ensures complete functionality; I would assume that once your incisors start moving forward something else will start moving as well in perhaps unpredictable ways.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

sirwired

#5 Post by sirwired »

It's hard for somebody to look at their own mouth and say: "Yep, my problem is just cosmetic." Even orthodontic diagnosis (much less treatment) takes a lot more than a long weekend to learn. And your problem may start out cosmetic, but if teeth just get willy-nilly hauled into line, turn into a bite problem. (And a bite problem can cause issues that become a LOT more expensive than proper braces.)

I suppose if both an orthodontist and general dentist say you'll be done in 6-9 months, then it's plausible that you are going to end up with the same result either way and could consider the cheaper option. But if the ortho says it'll take two years, I'd say there's a significant chance that the "shortcut" method is going to leave you with an unhealthy and/or unstable result.

jaime

#6 Post by jaime »

sirwired wrote:It's hard for somebody to look at their own mouth and say: "Yep, my problem is just cosmetic." Even orthodontic diagnosis (much less treatment) takes a lot more than a long weekend to learn. And your problem may start out cosmetic, but if teeth just get willy-nilly hauled into line, turn into a bite problem. (And a bite problem can cause issues that become a LOT more expensive than proper braces.)

I suppose if both an orthodontist and general dentist say you'll be done in 6-9 months, then it's plausible that you are going to end up with the same result either way and could consider the cheaper option. But if the ortho says it'll take two years, I'd say there's a significant chance that the "shortcut" method is going to leave you with an unhealthy and/or unstable result.
Your first sentence is right on point. I imagine the vast majority of us here are not orthodontists. I, too, thought my problem was simple and cosmetic. I got quite the surprise when I had my first consultation and the orthodontist said, "I don't even know if I can help you." In the end, I got 5 consultations and actually went with the one who said I needed the most work.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

DanielWyatt

#7 Post by DanielWyatt »

These "fast" treatments are usually being promoted by a few by non orthodontist dentists who do not share the treatment goals of the orthodontist regarding achieving a good fit of the bite. They just want to get a little improvement in the alignment usually just in front. Their assumption is that they won't change the bite, the fact is that having the bite change is almost unavoidable when you try to move even just a few teeth. These "fast" reatments often cost almost as much as a very complete, comprehensive, and well planned orthodontic treatment that includes bite correction.

secondtimewithbraces

#8 Post by secondtimewithbraces »

NOBODY GET THIS FAST BRACES OR 6 MONTH SMILES, i was misled by a dentist thinking i was getting braces and i got 6 month smiles it has left my mouth more smaller and narrow and uglier looking and the worst thing is i get pain due to not enough tongue room in my mouth, when i take my braces of i will not wear my retainer in hopes that my teeth can return to how it use to be... waste of £3200

nickycddubluver

#9 Post by nickycddubluver »

I thought fast braces works? i understand that some got their mouth messed up but isnt it depending on the doctor? or is traditional braces still the way to go?

Skortho

#10 Post by Skortho »

Isn't this the braces where they only prioritize to make your front teeth straight only (ignoring other issues such as overbite, underbite etc)

T1braces

#11 Post by T1braces »

Wow ... scary stuff. I have seen cosmetic dentist. Metal braces top and bottom (for approx 10 months). Turning few top teeth and straightening few at the bottom - which have almost done so after 9 weeks. I was told he works on the six front teeth. Cost £3,200. Including wire behind teeth to hold them and night time retainers. So far I am pleased with how my teeth have moved and the treatment. Not sure my case is under 'fast track'

SoulfulRetreat

#12 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

That is really good advice. I know, I looked into the 6 month smile and other fast fixes, until I realized there is none. If I really want to fix my teeth and smile, I just have to go through the process of braces. I am scheduled for mine and am hoping all goes well.

BlondeCam

#13 Post by BlondeCam »

Same! After reading some reviews on Six months braces, I decided to go to an ortho.

WanderingWallflower

#14 Post by WanderingWallflower »

Thank you for the information. As someone who is researching braces and totally clueless, you provided some valuable insight.

lia2017

#15 Post by lia2017 »

I also believe that every movement of teeth will change bite so it seems like gambling.