Feeling really low, need some support.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mightymildred

Feeling really low, need some support.

#1 Post by Mightymildred »

Hi, I've been lurking on here for a year or two and found some good advice and inspirational stories.
I had my braces fitted in December 2012. I have Damon clear uppers and metal lowers.
I have a scissor bite, massive overjet and the added complication of iatrogenic tooth loss- no upper 6,7 or 8 on my right side.
5weeks ago I had a mini screw inserted into the space behind where my upper right 8 would have been. I was worried for months about this. It wasn't too bad a situation.
I initially saw my teeth move within what seemed liked days back in 2012-13 and felt very positive and happy... it did affect my confidence a bit... But over the last few
Months I've been really self conscious and this coupled with the catastrophic breakdown of a four and a half year relationship just makes me want to rip them off.
I'm nowhere near the end of treatment- I have massive gaps that need closing. I've asked my orthodontist when they think treatment will be complete and they said another 15months. I just feel destroyed. I was hoping they would be off for Christmas then I would feel like I could start rebuilding my life... But I've just got no confidence with them on. Equally so, I try and remind myself I've paid £4500 for this treatment and should see it through to completion.
I'm really struggling right now.

pjade1

Re: Feeling really low, need some support.

#2 Post by pjade1 »

It seems quite common that people are in braces longer than they expect for bite problems. I know some people actually choose their orthodontist by the length of treatment. Most pick the shorter. I had treatment times of 18 mo, 24 mo and 30 mo from three different orthos. I actually picked the one that gave me a 30 month sentence but I am hoping that I will be out sooner. I had a friend that was told 24 months for her bite issues and she actually had them on for 36 months but in the end, her teeth were beautiful so that may be the case with you too. If you are paying that much to fix your teeth, I would listen to your ortho and his treatment plan for you. It seems that most of the movement happens at the beginning of treatment and then the adjustments towards the end for that perfect smile. I know this is not what you want to hear but think of the positives and how you will look in the end when they come off.
07/14/14 - 4 spacers put in
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/11/14 - 2 spacers put in between the bottom back molars
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too
10/14/14 - new square wire change and thick elastics
04/24/17 - braces removed!!! :BigGrin:

Nozzelnut

#3 Post by Nozzelnut »

I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time. Remember that you're doing this for you and your teeth will look great when you're done.

My ortho told me 18 months; but I'm expecting 30. That way, when it goes to 24 months, I'll be thrilled to get them off "early."

The big tooth movements are easy to see; the refinement and delicate movements take longer; which they should. I wouldn't want my teeth to move several mm before my braces come off. That would invite relapse as soon as braces are off; as opposed to slowly moving teeth fractions of mm's so they're somewhat stable when your braces are removed.

Things will get better; it might take some time and some effort but they will.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

TheKT

#4 Post by TheKT »

Perhaps you could talk through the remainder of the plan with your Ortho and see if there is any way to accelerate where you are now and where you want to be. You never know until you ask and be sure to put it into context. I totally understand your desire to get them off. Be sure to ask and maybe there's an alternative for you.

sage

#5 Post by sage »

Hey....hang in there! If you've got a good ortho they will know what they're doing. My ortho is lovely but he doesn't really tell me much unless I ask. They can seem vague but perhaps it's because it's such a long process and things shift and change. I guess it takes as long as it takes....

Sometimes when I have a bad day I just think what am I doing....but then I realize that I paid all this money and I can only do it once. Yes I can rip them off but then that's me out of the game. I can't afford to do this again. I worry sometimes but it all boils down to having a little faith in the process.

Smile a gawky brace filled smile.....you're not alone.

Mightymildred

#6 Post by Mightymildred »

Hi,
Thank you so much for your replies, I cant tell you how much this has cheered me up. Sometimes I feel so isolated with my braces and its just made me feel so much better actually joining in and participating with this forum rather than just reading.
My confidence has taken quite a bashing. The breakdown of my relationship a month ago and the TAD insertion have just zero'd my self worth.
However, I now have a plan of action.
Im going to speak with my ortho and ask what is going on in my mouth- what are the aims, what is the plan... Just so I feel more involved. I'm back there on the 30th.
I must say that insertion of the TAD was really straightforward. I'm a Veterinary Surgeon by trade and I thought the placement of the screw would have been far more carpentry like than it actually was. The noise of the equipment used for placing the mini screw was nothing more than a very very quiet hum, the local worked fine and apart from right at the end, there was no pain or discomfort.
I dug out my pictures of the original assessment-pre braces and I realise I've come a long way.
I keep telling myself I don't regret this and it will be worth it when they come off...Its just a long journey.
;-(#)

pjade1

#7 Post by pjade1 »

I am glad you are feeling better. Sometimes it's just good to vent it out somewhere. Look on the bright side, you are much further ahead in the process than I am. I am still waiting to get braced and I am sure I will be doing my portion of the whining and venting too.
07/14/14 - 4 spacers put in
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/11/14 - 2 spacers put in between the bottom back molars
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too
10/14/14 - new square wire change and thick elastics
04/24/17 - braces removed!!! :BigGrin:

Ciara

#8 Post by Ciara »

Mightymildred wrote:Hi,
Thank you so much for your replies, I cant tell you how much this has cheered me up. Sometimes I feel so isolated with my braces and its just made me feel so much better actually joining in and participating with this forum rather than just reading.
My confidence has taken quite a bashing. The breakdown of my relationship a month ago and the TAD insertion have just zero'd my self worth.
However, I now have a plan of action.
Im going to speak with my ortho and ask what is going on in my mouth- what are the aims, what is the plan... Just so I feel more involved. I'm back there on the 30th.
I must say that insertion of the TAD was really straightforward. I'm a Veterinary Surgeon by trade and I thought the placement of the screw would have been far more carpentry like than it actually was. The noise of the equipment used for placing the mini screw was nothing more than a very very quiet hum, the local worked fine and apart from right at the end, there was no pain or discomfort.
I dug out my pictures of the original assessment-pre braces and I realise I've come a long way.
I keep telling myself I don't regret this and it will be worth it when they come off...Its just a long journey.
;-(#)
I'm glad you are feeling better. You seem to have so much going on at the moment and sounded a bit overwhelmed. Going through a breakdown after such a long time together is hard enough without having the added complication of braces causing self-confidence issues.
The picture I took just before I got braces and the one I took immediately after they were put on, keep me going too. I just say to myself that it will be worth it in the end.
Many people end up with a longer "sentence" than they were initially told. I think asking for an update and getting more involved in your treatment will help. I bother my ortho with lots of questions and get lots of updates. She recently showed me my initial casts and the more recent ones together. It was impressive, much more so than photos.
Good luck on the 30th!