Holy Zebra!!!! Elastics are so irritating this round.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheKT

Holy Zebra!!!! Elastics are so irritating this round.

#1 Post by TheKT »

Time for some whine... or maybe some wine based on how painful these Zebra elastics are. Had an adjustment last Wednesday morning (5 days ago) and moved to 24/7 Zebra elastics (5/16" 4-1/2 oz.) and my entire mouth (tongue cheeks, lips, etc.) is so irritated I can barely stand it. I liken the pain and sensation to getting your mouth burnt or eating/sucking on an extra large jaw breaker for days (come on, you guys remember that!). In addition, these elastics are digging ridges deep into the sides of my gum and lips. I also had both wires changed. The teeth pain isn't too bad, it's the inside of mouth and lips. My lips and cheeks look so swollen too.

Not sure if this is relevant or related but I started with Parrots, moved to Dolphins, went back to Parrots and then was given Zebras this round. Out of the three, Parrots are the lightest weight, then Dolphins, then Zebras. So, I went from the Parrot to the Zebra, this time.

Any suggestions on how to get some relief from the irritation I am experiencing from the forum here are greatly appreciated. Have any of you experienced the same? What course of action did you take?

Yes, I'd like some cheese with my whine.

AlexO890

Re: Holy Zebra!!!! Elastics are so irritating this round.

#2 Post by AlexO890 »

Braces newbie question: What are these animal names about? Haha.

TheKT

#3 Post by TheKT »

The elastics come in varying sizes and have animal names associated with each size.

AlexO890

#4 Post by AlexO890 »

Thanks for clarifying TheKT!

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

I think my ortho is a vegan or something, as mine are "watermelons." I'd love to be in the meeting with all the marketing geniuses as they figure out how to assign names to elastics, probably arguing that zebras can kill a lion so they should be stronger, someone else objecting that elephants have tusks which are almost like teeth so they should be for the bestest ever elastics, and so forth, and then take a break for another round of drinks.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

kids041

#6 Post by kids041 »

djspeece wrote:I think my ortho is a vegan or something, as mine are "watermelons." I'd love to be in the meeting with all the marketing geniuses as they figure out how to assign names to elastics, probably arguing that zebras can kill a lion so they should be stronger, someone else objecting that elephants have tusks which are almost like teeth so they should be for the bestest ever elastics, and so forth, and then take a break for another round of drinks.
I have Tortoise... I wonder where those fall in the pecking order? :?:

djspeece

#7 Post by djspeece »

kids041 wrote:
djspeece wrote:I think my ortho is a vegan or something, as mine are "watermelons." I'd love to be in the meeting with all the marketing geniuses as they figure out how to assign names to elastics, probably arguing that zebras can kill a lion so they should be stronger, someone else objecting that elephants have tusks which are almost like teeth so they should be for the bestest ever elastics, and so forth, and then take a break for another round of drinks.
I have Tortoise... I wonder where those fall in the pecking order? :?:

You'll win the race (a la "Tortise and the Hare") and your progress will be slow but steady! :mrgreen:
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

kathydell

#8 Post by kathydell »

I feel very left out - my elastics were all colors. I would have preferred the animals LOL. In terms of the irritation from the rubber bands, I had really good luck with Kanka Softbrush Gel. It looks like a pen with a soft brush on the end so you can put the medicine wherever you want it. It numbs and heals. Doesn't taste all that great but I didn't care because the rubber bands really irritated my lips and cheeks for a good two weeks at every configuration change.