Extractions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AlexO890

Extractions?

#1 Post by AlexO890 »

Hi everyone. I'm new here and I might be getting braces soon. I've been reading some posts and I see people talking about getting teeth extracted. Does everyone need to have teeth extracted for braces? I have bad dental phobia and thinking of getting braces without having teeth pulled is scary enough.

sirwired

Re: Extractions?

#2 Post by sirwired »

No, not everybody needs extractions; you are simply going to have to go to one or more orthodontists and get a diagnosis.

anedia

#3 Post by anedia »

Nope not everyone needs extractions. It just depends on your mouth and what your teeth look like.

I had to get a baby tooth removed to let the adult tooth behind it move forward. Extractions are super easy, they numb you up and take it out. It's not that big of a deal.
First Consultation: July 16th, 2013
Second Consultation: August 21st, 2013
Extractions (Wisdom + baby tooth): August 22nd, 2013
Brace Date: September 4th, 2013
First Adjustment: October 18th, 2013.

AlexO890

#4 Post by AlexO890 »

Thanks for the replies! I'll wait and see what my ortho says about my teeth.

newbite

#5 Post by newbite »

no, getting extractions isn't necessary for many people. it depends on your bite and how much room you have in your mouth. if you see an ortho who automatically wants to pull 4 (or 2) healthy teeth, I would get another opinion quickly! extractions are an old-school approach to orthodontics and shouldn't be necessary unless you have a very large mouth/overjet/etc. Once teeth are pulled you run the risk of your jawline/cheeks/face becoming sunken, which isn't a problem if you have a nice large jaw and large teeth-- but if you already have a small jaw and/or small teeth you could regret it!

AlexO890

#6 Post by AlexO890 »

Thanks! I do have a large jaw (I've always been told I have a big mouth, haha!) so we'll see what happens when I go to the ortho this week.

asylumgreen

#7 Post by asylumgreen »

No, I don't think anyone strictly needs extractions. My orthodontist said that I could still have straight teeth without extractions, but that if I wanted to fix my overbite, I'd need to get some teeth extracted to make room for the teeth to move back. I've always considered myself to have crooked teeth as a much more focal issue than an overbite (even though I do literally have one), but in looking at the molds that were made of my teeth, it's actually the opposite - they aren't really THAT crooked, but the overbite was very obvious on the mold. That pushed me to go ahead and get the extractions done. The point is, I still could've had 'straight teeth' without any extractions, it just depends on exactly what sort of results a person is looking for. I figured if I was going to sink all that time and money into it, I'd rather get the overbite corrected than get to the end and realize I should've done it.

AlexO890

#8 Post by AlexO890 »

I had my consultation this morning, and the ortho said I don't need extractions!

newbite

#9 Post by newbite »

That's awesome! Are you going to go ahead with the braces?
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

AlexO890

#10 Post by AlexO890 »

I think so!