My feet are getting cold

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dantocanada

My feet are getting cold

#1 Post by dantocanada »

Help me! I'm scheduled to start with bottom braces on July 21st and the last couple of days have been full of self-doubt. My original story is here: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=47174

I just can't seem to get my head around enduring 18 months of pain and inconvenience, not to mention the self-conscious anxiety of conducting my professional life looking like a pre-teen. Someone please tell me I'm being silly or did you feel the same way? How did you get over it?

beckyboo0205

Re: My feet are getting cold

#2 Post by beckyboo0205 »

You are not being silly, you are being a normal adult! I mean, who wants to REALLY get braces!?

EVERYONE I think feels the same way before they get their braces on. It sounded like a good idea at some point, but then you get close and start freaking out a little and forgetting why you wanted to do it. EVERYONE feels this way. I sure did. "EKK Do I really want to do this anymore... Maybe it's not so bad!?" It will all be ok. Don't freak out and skip out now. Just keep in mind what you want to fix and why and keep that goal in mind! Once changes start to happen, you are going to be excited and it won't be such a bad idea after all. If you are like myself, you are going to have times where you are WISHING there was a little pain even because pain means movement and means you are closer to being done.

And I know everyone is completely different, but I was expecting soooo much worse than it really was! The first little bit getting used to the braces and possible pain will go away soon and you'll get back to normal. Eventually you are going to forget you even have them and it won't be such a big deal.

TheKT

#3 Post by TheKT »

Be strong!!! It's only a matter of months. Before you know it you will be done. Man up! You've got this. There are so many of us that lead professional/executive lives on here and we are doing it, you can too! Don't wimp out, go for it! With that said, I do understand your hesitancy because I had it as well and put it off a few times. I am 7 mos in and don't like them AT ALL but am glad I did it and can see so much improvement. I can't wait to get them off but again, wish I did it sooner and am not looking back.

Do it!!!

Featheryy1221

#4 Post by Featheryy1221 »

I think most people on here have felt 'cold feet' or stressed closer before brace time. :) I wanted braces since I was 7, but I was nervous right before I got my braces on. Everyone has different pain tolerances, and you may be lucky (like myself) and they might not bother you much at all (besides right after adjustments). If you keep focused on the positives it really helps.
It's been 9 months since I've gotten my treatment officially started, and honestly, I wouldn't take back those 9 months. Like others have said, it's been the best decision I've made and I can't wait to see my results when I'm done. Every month I feel more and more confident with my smile. It's completely worth it.
I worried a lot about what I'd look like with braces. I already look too young for my age; I'm 22, but I look like I'm 16/17. You get used to how you look and honestly no one else will care what you look like. No one will make any negative comments. I have all metal braces and no one has made any comments about them. I'm even eventually going to get colored ligs on the bottom because I'm tired of wearing silver to be "discrete."
Literally the only thing I regret about my decision is that I couldn't have done all this sooner.
Look at it this way, you'll be fixing your smile so that you can have a healthier smile and save your teeth from further damage. :) Hang in there. :)

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

TheProfessor

#5 Post by TheProfessor »

You can do it!!! I had the same thoughts as you and almost turned the car around driving to the ortho on that dreaded day after several sleepless nights, but I mustered all my courage and went through with it! It is difficult at first and you'll wonder why you did it, but you will feel so happy when you start to see progress! For me, looking younger is an added bonus-- I got carded 2 days after my 40th birthday :)
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

SunshineRay

#6 Post by SunshineRay »

I just got debraced this week and I could not be happier. I was only in braces for 1 year but I really felt self consious the whole time. I kept reminding myself that I hated my teeth to begin with soooo the choice was....hate my teeth for the rest of my life or hate my teeth with braces for 1 year and then have great teeth for the rest of my life. I am so so so glad that I went through with it.

djspeece

#7 Post by djspeece »

You'd be nuts not to have cold feet. You probably are overthinking the situation a bit, and while there are certainly memorable moments with braces for the most part they become integrated with your day-to-day activities, and people really don't notice them as much as you think they are, and no, that couple at the next table are not discussing you or your braces. It is not a pain-free experience as you have probably guessed, but when you expect pain and understand that it represents a good thing in this case you'll probably be able to deal with it easier -- and of course take your NSAIDs (e.g., ibuprofin) as they are especially effective with dental pain. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

ljms

#8 Post by ljms »

Having cold feet is normal. The reasons may be different, but it happens to all of us.

Keep in mind that pain is relative. Everyone responds differently. Also, pain isn't constant. It just seems that way when reading this forum. Right now, there are a few members experiencing pain while the rest of us feel nothing. In a day or two, they'll feel better and someone else will hurt. Most of the time braces don't hurt. They're just there.

Yeah, braces are inconvenient and, I admit, I'm still struggling with it. I'm going to an outdoor music festival this weekend and I have no idea how I'm going to keep my teeth clean. But my teeth, even with braces, look so much better than they did 10 months ago, that inconvenience seems like a small price to pay. (Especially compared to the dollar price. :lol: )

And on the subject of looking better, once your teeth start to unravel, you'll have more confidence. Really crooked teeth are noticable. Braces on straight teeth are less so.

You're going to do it eventually. Trust me on this one. Backing out now just delays your de-bracing day. Go for it.

cconant1833

#9 Post by cconant1833 »

I was definitely experiencing the same concerns regarding my professional life with braces. However, I always thought not getting my teeth fixed would hold me back more so than having braces for a year or so. I'm 23 with braces and working at an engineering firm. It hasn't been a problem at all! No one treats me differently and I'm so happy I've taken this step! It is 100% worth it!

Langers00

#10 Post by Langers00 »

Put simply. Dont worry.

The pain isnt as bad as you think it will be.

Peoples reactions arent as bad as you think they will be.

Time flies. :D

jaime

#11 Post by jaime »

I definitely agree it's totally normal to get cold feet, and almost questionable if you don't! I knew I needed braces from the time I was 12 (I'm 28 now and just got them). I wanted braces really badly for the last 16 years!!!! but when I was sitting in the waiting room at the orthodontist, I suddenly started panicking and wondering what I had got myself into. I think once you start to see improvements, you'll feel much better about your choice.

They also aren't painful the entire time (not even most of the time), and you will get used to them quickly enough. Sure, it's extra work each day to take care of them, but eventually you get used to that, too. You will barely give them much thought.

I haven't heard a single person on this board or otherwise say that braces weren't worth it, or that the awkwardness was as bad or worse than they imagined. Honestly, most people barely notice. Even knowing I needed braces, I didn't notice for more than a year that one of my acquaintances (who I saw weekly) had them! Seriously! People may notice but to most people, it's no more interesting than if you wear glasses.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

sirwired

#12 Post by sirwired »

Try to relax... Yeah, braces DO look a little odd on an adult; I'd be lying if I said they didn't. But that said, the entire two years I was in braces, not one person made fun of them, or treated me any differently because I had them. (The only comments I got about them were from fellow braces wearers, or adults soon to be in braces.) I'm an Engineer, "Working for the Man" and regularly met with customers, up to including high-level executives. None of them even mentioned them, or made any cracks about working with a young-un. (I'm in my mid-30's, but young for the job I have.)

And don't worry about the pain; the number of days your braces will hurt is pretty tiny compared to the length of treatment.

dantocanada

#13 Post by dantocanada »

Thanks everyone for your positive encouragement. I've been talking to friends and colleagues as well and they all echo your comments - nobody cares. Just get it over with. I feel much better about making this decision, and it would be foolish to back out now. Thanks again.

millersgirl

#14 Post by millersgirl »

If it makes you feel any better...I've had them six months now and for the most part don't even notice them. I have two years left though. :cry:

AlexO890

#15 Post by AlexO890 »

I understand why you have cold feet. I have cold feet too. Maybe it won't be as bad since you're just starting with the bottom braces? Bottom teeth are less noticeable than the top. You'll be fine.