Visible Elastics...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rocker

Visible Elastics...

#1 Post by rocker »

So I've just had my second adjustment done (Damon, upper clear, lower metal), been wearing single elastics hooked over teeth further back.

Now they are in a new position, a triangle shape looping over my front canines - so quite visible when I speak, laugh, unless I really try to just mumble!

I've only just got over the embarrassment of braces at my age and I really hate the look of elastics :(

Anyone else feel like this?
Upper (ceramic) and Lower(metal) fitted 08/03/14
Damon

touchofhiddencharm

Re: Visible Elastics...

#2 Post by touchofhiddencharm »

I did before but that was because I felt like they looked like saliva. Now I just ask my dentist for the colored ones. I enjoy the looks on peoples faces when they are surprised with color when I laugh. It's also easier for people to guess what it is and what it's for than if they barely notice it and stare at your mouth as you talk because they're trying to figure it out. It should get better soon. And remember, your teeth are gonna look beautiful afterwards so embrace it with happiness because they're making you hotter ;) haha

nicolie825

#3 Post by nicolie825 »

Dont be embarassed, youre taking action in getting your teeth fixed! I personally found it embarassing walking around with crooked teeth. I feel much better with my braces because I know im on my way to having straight teeth and what other people think about them doesnt matter in the least

deathorglory

#4 Post by deathorglory »

Yeah! No embarrassment required! You're not going to end up stuck with braces and elastics forever, after all! :) This is temporary and you're on your way to a better smile! Smile big and proud...!!

kathydell

#5 Post by kathydell »

I felt the same way and I got that configuration early on so I had just gotten over the embarassment of braces when the triangles went on about 3 months later. And I appeared with them for the first time in a meeting. Yikes. That was tough but like everything else on this journey you get over it. I found that particular configuration (one of 3 I've had to endure) to actually be the most uncomfortable with the rubber band constantly rubbing on my top lip. I have larger lips than most so I'm crossing my fingers you do better with it than I did.

MIbean

#6 Post by MIbean »

I'm in the same boat as you. Just received mine today. First time getting elastics and they're in the same canine - front molar position as yours. Right in the middle of my mouth (feels that way at least...)

There's no way for me to hide it cause I'll look silly and sound like a mumbly cartoon character. Right now it's kinda embarrassing, but I'm hoping I'll just adjust to them like I did when I had my top braces put on. Not looking forward to eating with these things. Oh well - necessary evil!

Just know you're not alone!

nicolie825

#7 Post by nicolie825 »

MIbean wrote:I'm in the same boat as you. Just received mine today. First time getting elastics and they're in the same canine - front molar position as yours. Right in the middle of my mouth (feels that way at least...)

There's no way for me to hide it cause I'll look silly and sound like a mumbly cartoon character. Right now it's kinda embarrassing, but I'm hoping I'll just adjust to them like I did when I had my top braces put on. Not looking forward to eating with these things. Oh well - necessary evil!

Just know you're not alone!
You dont remove your elastics to eat?

MIbean

#8 Post by MIbean »

My jaw was sore for a couple days after getting the bands on (chewing and eating was a pain,) but it has since gotten better. Still annoyed by them though!

asylumgreen

#9 Post by asylumgreen »

I haven't had elastics (yet?), but I agree with the suggestion to get them in colours so it's obvious what they are. I don't think you have anything to worry about - anyone who sees your teeth can tell you have braces, and it's obvious you're doing them to improve your teeth. It's a positive pursuit, not something to feel self-conscious about. I hope you feel better about it!

pjade1

#10 Post by pjade1 »

I think I am going to have to have the same thing done with mine when I get braces. I am getting something similar to Damons and was told they will use elastics to get my bite corrected so it's good to know before hand so I can pick colored bands. I don't want to look like I have drool or spiddle in my mouth.
07/14/14 - 4 spacers put in
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/11/14 - 2 spacers put in between the bottom back molars
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too
10/14/14 - new square wire change and thick elastics
04/24/17 - braces removed!!! :BigGrin:

chichi

#11 Post by chichi »

rocker wrote:So I've just had my second adjustment done (Damon, upper clear, lower metal), been wearing single elastics hooked over teeth further back.

Now they are in a new position, a triangle shape looping over my front canines - so quite visible when I speak, laugh, unless I really try to just mumble!

I've only just got over the embarrassment of braces at my age and I really hate the look of elastics :(

Anyone else feel like this?
Yes... I have been wearing my triangle elastics since October and I hate them. I feel like they're just out there for everyone to stare at.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

rocker

#12 Post by rocker »

Thanks for the replys.
I'm wearing them more now, hate them still but hoping the configuration will change to something less obvious soon if I do as I'm told!
Wearing them on a night out is a complete no-no though, seriously - there not the best asset for meeting ladies!
Upper (ceramic) and Lower(metal) fitted 08/03/14
Damon

Lorianne

#13 Post by Lorianne »

ugh, hate mine. The moved from back molar to canine, to lower first molar to canine, so up in the side-front now. They hurt my lips more and definitely harder to eat. I hope I don't have to have these for too long. Also, my bite is really messed up now on that side. yikes.

djspeece

#14 Post by djspeece »

rocker wrote:Thanks for the replys.
I'm wearing them more now, hate them still but hoping the configuration will change to something less obvious soon if I do as I'm told!
Wearing them on a night out is a complete no-no though, seriously - there not the best asset for meeting ladies!
I'm in a serious LTR now but I can tell you if there is any chance for romance the elastics vanish.

I crack myself up.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying