Extractions!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

coreym95

Extractions!

#1 Post by coreym95 »

Just got my 4 pre-molars take out this morning ALONG with my 4 wisdom teeth, yikes! I was super nervous going in and almost passed out, lol. But all in all it wasn't that bad. Being put under is the best. I've had my braces on for one year now. My ortho wanted to make sure we had to pull them before proceeding, and he says now that they are all aligned it will be pretty quick bring them all together.

Excited for the next few months to see the progression!

Oh, had the extractions done about 7 hours ago, so far no pain. I've kept up with the meds and icing it down.

KMC

Re: Extractions!

#2 Post by KMC »

Wow - I would've been nervous too, probably wouldn't have needed anesthesia - I would have been out cold!! Well done you.

I'm having one upper pre-molar taken out next week and then braces two weeks later. My Ortho said she might need to remove some from the bottom as well but wont know until we're into the treatment. It wasn't until after that I started to wonder how teeth are removed when you're already in braces? Do they take the whole thing off, or just remove the brackets of the tooth to come out?
Kelly
The decision: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=47045
Braces on: 24th June 2014
Estimated sentence: 12-18th months

asylumgreen

#3 Post by asylumgreen »

I just got my braces on but I have to get three teeth taken out after 5 weeks - the orthodontist had me schedule an appointment with him for one week before the extractions, where he said he'd move the archwire somehow so that the teeth could come out. Then I go back a day later and it gets moved back into position, I guess. I thought it was weird to get teeth removed AFTER getting the braces put on, but he said the teeth will move more easily that way vs. letting the area heal and then trying to move the teeth through the healed gaps. It makes sense.

jaime

#4 Post by jaime »

I didn't realize people got extractions done after the braces were on. My ortho hasn't mentioned extractions lately so I just assumed I was out of the woods. Now I'm a little worried.

Glad to hear it all went well, though. Being put under is kinda nice, isn't it? I got put under for SARPE obviously. People kept asking if I was nervous and I was like, heck no, I get to have a nap!
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

coreym95

#5 Post by coreym95 »

KMC wrote:Wow - I would've been nervous too, probably wouldn't have needed anesthesia - I would have been out cold!! Well done you.

I'm having one upper pre-molar taken out next week and then braces two weeks later. My Ortho said she might need to remove some from the bottom as well but wont know until we're into the treatment. It wasn't until after that I started to wonder how teeth are removed when you're already in braces? Do they take the whole thing off, or just remove the brackets of the tooth to come out?
My ortho just took the brackets off of the ones that were being removed. One of the 4 didn't have a bracket and the wisdom obviously didn't have brackets. The surgeon said the wires wouldn't be in the way, and if they were hey would just remove them and put them back on (I have Damon brackets so the wires are easy to come off and on).

Oh, and I was out cold! First time I've done that since I was a child, it was pretty fantastic.

Day two and still no pain, and very minimal swelling... fingers crossed.

Bikerchick85

#6 Post by Bikerchick85 »

coreym95 wrote:
KMC wrote:Wow - I would've been nervous too, probably wouldn't have needed anesthesia - I would have been out cold!! Well done you.

My ortho just took the brackets off of the ones that were being removed. One of the 4 didn't have a bracket and the wisdom obviously didn't have brackets. The surgeon said the wires wouldn't be in the way, and if they were hey would just remove them and put them back on (I have Damon brackets so the wires are easy to come off and on).

Oh, and I was out cold! First time I've done that since I was a child, it was pretty fantastic.

Day two and still no pain, and very minimal swelling... fingers crossed.
I'm glad you are still feeling good today. Stay on top of your pain meds even if you feel better. I had a hard time with my wisdom teeth removal. My premolar extractions were pretty easy though. I'm glad your ortho waited to make sure you would really need those teeth pulled. I bet your teeth look fantastic and will look awesome when you're finished! Post pics!

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

coreym95

#7 Post by coreym95 »

Has anyone else on here had their wisdom teeth and 4 other teeth extracted at once? If so, how long until you starting eating food that actually required chewing? I still haven't chewed anything. I have stuck with liquid soups, mashed potatoes, yogurt, protein shakes, etc. I'm just afraid of irritating the extraction sites, since there really isn't a "safe" side or part of my mouth that I can chew with.

JillD

#8 Post by JillD »

I had four premolars and three wisdom teeth removed at once. (Somehow I had only three wisdom teeth.) Unfortunately I don't remember how long it took for me to be able to eat regular food because I had my braces fit in two weeks after the extraction. First I couldn't eat regular food for a while because of the extraction and then because of the pain from the braces. It just felt like a long ordeal, especially because I had all this done around Thanxgiving and I just had to watch others enjoying wonderful food I wasn't allowed.

Bikerchick85

#9 Post by Bikerchick85 »

coreym95 wrote:Has anyone else on here had their wisdom teeth and 4 other teeth extracted at once? If so, how long until you starting eating food that actually required chewing? I still haven't chewed anything. I have stuck with liquid soups, mashed potatoes, yogurt, protein shakes, etc. I'm just afraid of irritating the extraction sites, since there really isn't a "safe" side or part of my mouth that I can chew with.
I didn't have all 8 teeth pulled at one time, but my advice for you is to take it very slowly when introducing solid foods back into your diet. If it hurts, don't eat it. I was on a soft diet for a while with the wisdom teeth removal and the premolar extractions. I imagine it'll take a few weeks for those gums to toughen back up. I wish you luck!! You are very brave! I would've been scared to death to get all those teeth pulled at one time.

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

coreym95

#10 Post by coreym95 »

Bikerchick85 wrote: I didn't have all 8 teeth pulled at one time, but my advice for you is to take it very slowly when introducing solid foods back into your diet. If it hurts, don't eat it. I was on a soft diet for a while with the wisdom teeth removal and the premolar extractions. I imagine it'll take a few weeks for those gums to toughen back up. I wish you luck!! You are very brave! I would've been scared to death to get all those teeth pulled at one time.
Yeah, I don't really plan on eating anything too solid until the 4 premolar sites have the gums pretty much grown back over, which I heard could be as soon as two weeks from the surgery date. So far I don't really see any major visible improvement. And I do have my ortho appointment tomorrow so that could introduce a whole new set of discomfort! And I am in no hurry to eat anything too solid or hard, my goal is just to be back on my normal "braces diet" by the end of this month.

asylumgreen

#11 Post by asylumgreen »

When I had all four wisdom teeth taken out at once, I waited two weeks to eat normal food. I think I took it easier than I really had to, but I wasn't willing to risk messing up my recovery.

coreym95

#12 Post by coreym95 »

asylumgreen wrote:When I had all four wisdom teeth taken out at once, I waited two weeks to eat normal food. I think I took it easier than I really had to, but I wasn't willing to risk messing up my recovery.
I think I have the same mindset as you on this one. I think I can last one more week on a soft diet :)

allyria

#13 Post by allyria »

I just recently had 2 upper teeth pulled out and then soon after had braces put on my lower teeth, plus extra plastic bands on top. It was so bad, I couldn't eat normally for like 3 weeks!

coreym95

#14 Post by coreym95 »

I've been officially back to by "normal" diet for about a week now. Still a pain in the butt though with the food getting stuck back in the wisdom teeth areas.

loa

#15 Post by loa »

I haven't yet got my braces, should be next week! But my ortho said braces on first, then a week later extractions. yeah they just take the brackets off the teeth to be removed.