Fixed plastic retainer (Essix?) and bonded retainer query

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PatientPatient

Fixed plastic retainer (Essix?) and bonded retainer query

#1 Post by PatientPatient »

Hello everyone.

I am almost two weeks away from having my braces removed. Very excited!

I have been told I will have the braces removed tuesday, then go back the next day for a clear plastic retainer. I am assuming this is the Essix I hear a lot of you referring to. Then two weeks later I go back to have permanent bonded retainers top and bottom (front 6 teeth).

My question is, does this order sound ok? I haven't questioned my ortho yet, will double check with him on the day.

Does the bonded retainer not interfere with the fixed retainer? If the moulds have been made from teeth without the bonded retainer in place?
Damon clear upper, metal lower. Treatment took 12 Months 3 days. Debraced 17.06.14

sirwired

Re: Fixed plastic retainer (Essix?) and bonded retainer quer

#2 Post by sirwired »

Can you re-read your post? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A fixed retainer is a bonded retainer; they are the same thing.

hj55

#3 Post by hj55 »

I had impressions taken for my fixed retainers, top and bottom, before my braces were removed.

Then at the appointment when my braces were due to be removed the fixed retainers were put in place - while I still had braces on.

After the braces were removed impressions were taken for the Essix retainers which are the removable plastic retainers. I collected those retainers the following day.

plugnickel69

#4 Post by plugnickel69 »

I had my fixed retainers placed, then had braces removed followed by molds for upper retainer.

PatientPatient

#5 Post by PatientPatient »

Ooh yes, apologies. :oops:
I meant, does the Essix retainer not interfere with the fixed retainer?

Hmm, so seems this is possibly an unusual way to proceed. I will see what they say, and report back.

Thanks for the replies.
Damon clear upper, metal lower. Treatment took 12 Months 3 days. Debraced 17.06.14

plugnickel69

#6 Post by plugnickel69 »

The Essix, which is flexible, fits right over the fixed retainer.