Dating with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jewels

Dating with braces

#1 Post by Jewels »

Single people -- have you been dating while wearing braces? I'm 45 years old and feel a little strange about dating in general and even more so now that I'm in braces. Friends and family are used to my brace-face but meeting new people is a different story.

What have your dating experiences (with braces) been like? Any other single women my age venture out into the dating pool while braced?

Nozzelnut

Re: Dating with braces

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

I'm a 40 year old guy; currently dating. I wouldn't have any problems dating someone that has braces. It tells me they care enough about themselves to take care issues they see.

I know having braces can make someone feel self conscious about how others views them; but it's about how you carry yourself. Know you're doing something to better yourself and own it. Have confidence in it and people will see you for you.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

rocker

#3 Post by rocker »

I'm 40, been in braces for nearly 3 months.
I was in the early stages of dating someone before I got them and her reaction when I turned up with them in (without warning) was like 'oh cool, what's the big deal?'.
This helped but I was still very self conscious at that point.

I'm more relaxed with them now although when I'm out 'on the pull' I don't feel the confidence to 'go in for the kill' like I used to with this in my mouth! Maybe it's a good lesson to learn to take things a bit more slowly...(at my age, probably the right thing to do!)

Overall the concerns really do seem to be mostly in my own head and as long as I keep reminding myself of that, it's fine. I do find it quite hard though.

A few drinks usually lessens the concern...
Upper (ceramic) and Lower(metal) fitted 08/03/14
Damon

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

I'm (a guy) with a woman who had braces when we met (she's done with them now) so there really wasn't a problem, and as I hinted at in other posts we have a lot of fun with the whole experience. Braces do not need to inhibit you from doing anything. And I do mean anything. I think the bottom line for men is to demonstrate self-confidence regardless of braces. It goes a long way with the opposite sex. And as one poster mentioned, alcohol might help as well (I joked with my friend that my success with the opposite sex has always hinged on the kindness of strangers, personal charm, alcohol, and inadequate lighting.)

I think a lot of women would be a bit intrigued with the whole braces thing, and it might be a good conversation starter. Feel free to steal my line when they ask you why you got them: "I wanted to have the nicest smile in the cemetary." If she doesn't laugh then she isn't for you and it's her loss. :gavel:

Best of luck to you! As far as women with braces go, most men would not notice them first. Your smile, your eyes, your hair, and so forth (leaving it at that!)
I think that women have many more "distractions" from braces then do us men, who let's face it, are pretty simple creatures.

You were gorgeous before braces, you're still gorgeous. I know I speak for all men on the subject. Carry on.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

jaime

#5 Post by jaime »

I'm a 28 woman, not married but in a relationship. My sister is a bit younger and single and we both have braces right now. My boyfriend has been extremely supportive. My sister is nervous about dating with braces but I think it's actually a positive! It shows that you take care of yourself, you care about your appearance, and more than likely you have enough money and/or a decent job if you can afford braces. If I was single, I would not think anything negative about a guy with braces! I know everyone has their own preferences but I wouldn't think too highly of anyone who poo-poo'ed braces.

djspeece

#6 Post by djspeece »

djspeece wrote: And as one poster mentioned, alcohol might help as well (I joked with my friend that for me any limited success with the opposite sex has always hinged on the kindness of strangers, personal charm, copious amounts of alcohol, and inadequate lighting.)

Best of luck to you! As far as women with braces go, most men would not notice them first. Your smile, your eyes, your hair, and so forth (leaving it at that!)
I think that women have many more "distractions" from braces then do us men, who let's face it, are pretty simple creatures.

Edited for umm, accuracy.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

samoorelaw

#7 Post by samoorelaw »

Ha! You crack me up, Dan. :tingrin:
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

Jewels

#8 Post by Jewels »

Thank you everyone for the nice replies. Still don't know if I'm ready to get out there with braces! Maybe once I have an estimated time for removal..... then I can say these babies will only be around for a limited time! Enjoy them while you can!

kathydell

#9 Post by kathydell »

Was dating someone when I got them on and now planning a wedding. Hasn't stopped us from doing ANYTHING we would have done without the braces (if you get my drift and that's in the back of your mind). I still get hit on every once in a while and the guy who makes my breakfast in our company cafeteria still tries to talk me out of getting married every morning. Go for it. The time will go by anyway and you will be sooooo glad you did this for yourself. Smile big and have fun with it.

28monthjourney

#10 Post by 28monthjourney »

While I am not currently in the dating pool, the thought of dating with braces has always made me think of this scene from Sex and the City. Definitely remember to chew on the sides and avoid showing off your leftovers when you smile!
Sentence:
28 months in full upper and lower braces, open coil spring for additional alignment space for permanent teeth to erupt, elastics to align back bite, bite turbos, and palate expander.

rosesrred1026

#11 Post by rosesrred1026 »

I'm 23 and it'll be a year next week since I've had my braces. Honestly, if anything my dating life (mostly casual) has improved since I got them! Perhaps since my teeth are no longer overlapping unattractively? Who knows!