Confess your orthodontic sins.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldfart

Confess your orthodontic sins.

#1 Post by oldfart »

Example:

I eat popcorn.
I dont floss every day.
I doubled up on my elastics last night as I am sick and tired of not seeing movement.

Anyone else?
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

Anna5

Re: Confess your orthodontic sins.

#2 Post by Anna5 »

I have also doubled up elastics more than once...
I have worn elastics in another configuration as prescribed because I wanted to see another kind of movement as well
I eat everything that is forbidden (popcorn, nuts, hard chocolate....)
I often brush my teeth far too quickly....

msw

#3 Post by msw »

I play with my braces when I'm bored at work sometimes... I think it's fun to open and close my Damon brackets using a fine-tipped Uniball pen. So bad, I know! :oops:

msw

#4 Post by msw »

Also.... it's a particularly busy season at work, and last week I stress-ate an entire monster bag of Laffy Taffy, Nerds, and Gobstoppers.

kathydell

#5 Post by kathydell »

Doritos! Okay, and maybe some popcorn in the last two weeks.

djspeece

#6 Post by djspeece »

Alphabetical, or in order of potential disasters?

Father, I have not flossed since I got braces. At my first cleaning 3 months after my braces were applied, the hygeinist commented that she had so little work to do, that whatever I was doing was really working, and to keep up the flossing. I told her that I didn't floss, that I used interdental brushes dipped in Listerine instead and outlined my routine. I think she got a little light-headed and started breathing faster, and managed to gasp "Well, it is really working." I'm sure I got reported to the authorities the same way in third grade when I purposely jay-walked in front of the Junior Police kid, who came to my classroom the next morning, asked for the teacher, and I was then summoned to the hallway and was made to understand that my behavior was undermining democracy. Or something. Anyway, heard the same deal from different hygeinists on subsequent cleanings every 3 months. Say three Hail Damons and sin no more my son. But I know I'll be burning in orthodontic hell one day.

I have broken all the taboos on foods to avoid. Popcorn. Didn't make it two weeks before I resumed. Potato chips? Please. Life without chips is not worth living. I even recently succombed to red twizzler licorice, my all-time favorite candy snack.

Father, I smoke an occasional cigar. With a nice single malt scotch. My teeth didn't fall out.

After removing elastics before a meal, I sometimes fling them away outside and curse them and call them bad names embellished by creative obscene adjectives.

And that's the way I roll.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Bikerchick85

#7 Post by Bikerchick85 »

OMG, Dan, I think I love you! :D That is hilarious! I almost spit my coffee all over the computer!

Ok, here goes my sins...
1. I don't floss hardly ever..
2. I hardly ever wear my elastics, but when I do, sometimes I double up or wear them a different way than prescribed.
3. In regards to number 2, I lie to my ortho about my elastic wear and say that on a scale of 1-10, I've worn them at a 10 level.... and she believes me :twisted:
4. I eat popcorn, nuts, chewy candy, etc... everything I'm not supposed to eat.. but I have not broken anything.
5. I smoked cigarettes the first 15 months in braces. (I'm quit now)
6. I drink coffee with tons of vanilla creamer and sugar EVERYDAY!

I think that's it. I know.. I'm a very bad girl!! :crazy:

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

MrsCharisma

#8 Post by MrsCharisma »

I eat popcorn all the time.
I recently began eating peanut m&m's.
I do not floss every day.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

oldfart

#9 Post by oldfart »

If I am talking to you, face to face, and you have braces. I am checking them out, vs looking at you eye to eye.

Heck I now find myself checking out everyones teeth as I am talking to them, and mentally coming up with a orthodontic plan for them if I think they need them.

Anna5

#10 Post by Anna5 »

I love your confession, Dan!!! :)
And yours as well, Bickerchick! I had not expected that there was anybody else here who sometimes does wear elastics in a different configuration than prescribed, but I am happy I am not the only one. I am glad that your ortho is still happy with your elastics wear....
And the same with me,MrsCharisma, I also recently began eating peanut m&m's. They are delicious, aren't they????

Bikerchick85

#11 Post by Bikerchick85 »

I almost forgot this one...
I use my braces to scratch an itch on my hand or arm if my fingernails aren't doing the trick :oops:

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

msw

#12 Post by msw »

Bikerchick85 wrote:I almost forgot this one...
I use my braces to scratch an itch on my hand or arm if my fingernails aren't doing the trick :oops:
Same here! I thought I was the only one. It works every time.

oldfart

#13 Post by oldfart »

Speaking of fingernails. I still kinda bite them. Just very carefully.

Norrie

#14 Post by Norrie »

I don't bother brushing after lunch. One of the only benefits of lingual braces is that if you have food stuck in them, ain't no one the wiser.

I have eaten carrot sticks, and I am not sorry.

I still use silicone wax all day, every day, like a whiny little baby. I'll probably spend about $150 on it by the time that I'm done with treatment (because my orthodontist's office could not possibly give me enough. There is no enough), but I don't even care.

I have a love affair going with my WaterPik that may eventually make my husband jealous. How did I ever live without it? My precious.

My 12 year old daughter is way more fastidious about caring for her teeth/braces than I am. In fact, I'm always sending her off to floss or whatever, meanwhile I'm sitting on the sofa stuffing my face with ice cream. Being an adult is awesome.

Siobhan

#15 Post by Siobhan »

I don't brush after lunch since getting elastics
I don't floss every day
I drink wine but consider it medicinal and a good substitute for wax