Confess your orthodontic sins.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vaselina

Re: Confess your orthodontic sins.

#166 Post by vaselina »

I broke down and ate some taffy last night. Not one piece, but four pieces. It took almost 30 minutes getting it all cleaned out of my braces but it was worth it!

MetalKitty

#167 Post by MetalKitty »

Honestly, there's no orthodontic sins that I haven't committed.

I eat all the chewy, sticky, sugary, chocolaty things I can get my hands on. Hard foods, foods that stain, spinach and other greens in public. Drink soft drink, coffee and tea (although not often, admittedly). Don't floss everyday. Actually, more like only floss when I have an orthodontist appointment. Don't brush after every meal...the list goes on.

Nevertheless, after two years in braces I've never had a broken bracket, and my teeth are looking and feeling great. I can't be doing too badly, right?

djspeece

#168 Post by djspeece »

MetalKitty wrote:Honestly, there's no orthodontic sins that I haven't committed.

I eat all the chewy, sticky, sugary, chocolaty things I can get my hands on. Hard foods, foods that stain, spinach and other greens in public. Drink soft drink, coffee and tea (although not often, admittedly). Don't floss everyday. Actually, more like only floss when I have an orthodontist appointment. Don't brush after every meal...the list goes on.

Nevertheless, after two years in braces I've never had a broken bracket, and my teeth are looking and feeling great. I can't be doing too badly, right?
You are doing it perfectly as far as I am concerned :D
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

currystained

#169 Post by currystained »

Thank you sooo much for this post. It's helped me to find the whole forum (and wide-ranging help on new brace issues!)

I guess my new username gives away my biggest sin. I am now the proud owner of flouro-yellow bands (newbie confession - I didn't even KNOW I had bands). And I broke a bracket on one of the lower molars courtesy of a Starbucks cookie on the first day.....

I've not even had them for a week. I have a feeling my orthodontist will despair of me.

Nozzelnut

#170 Post by Nozzelnut »

I hope the statue of limitations has run out for my offenses...

I've replaced my own ligs between appointments. Several times... when I first started treatment... And I might have pulled the wire out to look at it...

I have no food limitations and eat whatever I want.

I rarely floss.

I've worn elastics in different configurations than directed.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

clouds1

#171 Post by clouds1 »

Very entertaining topic! I thought I'd lose so much weight from cutting out snacking when I got my braces but no, I have managed to continue eating just about anything.
Flossing is such a pain that I skip it as my treat if I'm feeling tired.
I think I brushed my teeth too much at the start and seem to have some discolouring of my front teeth (maybe enamel erosion) so I've cut back on brushing straight after meals.

One thing that I think I'll give up is stringy melted mozzarella. It gets all stuck in the brackets and is pretty disgusting!

robgs

#172 Post by robgs »

Does it count if I've already told my orthodontist? Haha. I ate sugar cane once and made a mess out of my bottom wire and ligatures.
My last bottom right bracket fell off while I was eating prunes. I'm glad I don't have to worry about this because I'm done with braces! Yay!

LittleSern

#173 Post by LittleSern »

I pay no attention to the food restrictions.. I just make sure that food is in small enough pieces to eat and not break a bracket. I also use a water flosser which I believe REALLY helps - the amount of stuff that comes out with that thing is incredible. If I didn't have that I am pretty sure I'd be in trouble... haha

Featheryy1221

#174 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Pretzel Goldfish crackers have become my weakness lately....

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

tartanhabit

#175 Post by tartanhabit »

Well, I'm barely a week into braces so haven't done a whole lot of sinning yet but it's going to happen, I'm sure. Surprised to see so many people quoting tea drinking. I didn't know that was a no-no. So maybe I am sinning - you can't take my PG tips away from me! Also I'm getting back into nuts. I love them - they are my go to snack. Chowed down a nice handful of sunflower seeds on day 3. Nothing bad happened. Maybe it helps that I only have top braces so far? I plan on eating pretty much whatever I want, even if I have to suck the life out of it first!

Oh and flossing daily, pft, that might go by the wayside too.

djspeece

#176 Post by djspeece »

tartanhabit wrote:Well, I'm barely a week into braces so haven't done a whole lot of sinning yet but it's going to happen, I'm sure. Surprised to see so many people quoting tea drinking. I didn't know that was a no-no. So maybe I am sinning - you can't take my PG tips away from me! Also I'm getting back into nuts. I love them - they are my go to snack. Chowed down a nice handful of sunflower seeds on day 3. Nothing bad happened. Maybe it helps that I only have top braces so far? I plan on eating pretty much whatever I want, even if I have to suck the life out of it first!

Oh and flossing daily, pft, that might go by the wayside too.
That's the spirit!
Dan

jamiegonzales56

#177 Post by jamiegonzales56 »

This thread is AWESOME!

I'm 10 days braced & have followed all rules, regulations & guidelines, until tonight! Pizza for dinner, followed by ice cream in a cone. I had my 4 premolars extracted so those are still tender; my teeth are also very sore, especially after eating, but I just COULD NOT have soup again!

I am also a daily coffee/tea drinker. I would not survive without one or the other...

tartanhabit

#178 Post by tartanhabit »

Well my sinning of eating contraband raw veggies just landed me with a broken off bracket. Didn't even make it to the 2 week mark. Was all going too well and I was getting complacent. I think it's because I have so little pain (acceledent) that I was getting carried away. Might have to repent.

djspeece

#179 Post by djspeece »

tartanhabit wrote:Well my sinning of eating contraband raw veggies just landed me with a broken off bracket. Didn't even make it to the 2 week mark. Was all going too well and I was getting complacent. I think it's because I have so little pain (acceledent) that I was getting carried away. Might have to repent.
Brackets can come off because they simply didn't adhere to the tooth properly (or to a crown, especially). They really use impressive adhesive so it would take some serious torque to dislodge one, I believe. I had one come off about a week into therapy (seems like a long time ago) when I was eating yogurt! The bracket in question was on a crown. I called the ortho and went in and he installed a band with a bracket on the crown. I continue to sin happily.
Dan

teeebeee

#180 Post by teeebeee »

I've got a thing about salt and vinegar peanuts at the moment...the mess is huge but, it takes me ages to eat a handful and, oh boy, they are soooooo good! :)

T xx