Confess your orthodontic sins.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ieatswegers

Re: Confess your orthodontic sins.

#196 Post by Ieatswegers »

I just bought a packet of Double Deckers!

I see food (especially those on the naughty list) as a challenge rather than a what no to do.

I don't floss everyday and sometimes don't do it all week.

I don't use disclosing tablets as often as I should, I just do it once a week.

teeebeee

#197 Post by teeebeee »

occamsblazer wrote::-* Oh my god this thread has made my day! That one about someone using their waterpik to clean the sink had me crying laughing!
Oh, what a good idea! It'll do the overflow hole at the back really well! :D

T xx

lilyflower

#198 Post by lilyflower »

I drink clear alcohol with my aligners in - I've specifically made clear ocean recipes for it

I also drink smoothies and iced coffee through a straw
The problems:
Lower crowding, a slightly rotated upper canine and a deep bite

Invisalign G5 started Oct 12, 2015
Attachments: 21
Total number of trays: 28 upper, 38 lower
Estimated treatment time: 18 months
Follow my progress http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=49130

TheProfessor

#199 Post by TheProfessor »

I ate some sticky, overly sweet pecan pie at lunchtime today and didn't brush my teeth until after dinner. :oops:
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

metalliKa

#200 Post by metalliKa »

I had peppered beef jerky! It was quite the workout for my jaw. :banana: :banana: :banana: Hope I don't pay for it later.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

thewalkingsuit

#201 Post by thewalkingsuit »

Caramel Popcorn!

angelina

#202 Post by angelina »

Chocolate is my favourite thing in the world and I was more upset about not being able to eat it than anything else when I got my braces. Even Nutella and other chocolate spreads eaten from a jar weren't cutting it for me.

Then I discovered I can stick a square of chocolate on my tongue, and if I sip hot tea while it's in my mouth it melts the chocolate and I get an English Breakfast chocolate party in my mouth.

I also re-use elastics by putting them on my middle finger then popping them back in my mouth after eating lunch and brushing because I was sick of having to ring the orthodontist clinic to have more sent out.

parsleysage

#203 Post by parsleysage »

Nearly a year since I have confessed my sins!!! :-*

I've done all the sins except popcorn and caramel (or other sticky items). I use my braces as an excuse quite frequently... someone offered me a gross protein bar? Oh, thanks! But I can't eat those with my braces! :lol:

I quit flossing everyday long ago, but any time my wire is off I floss and it's heavenly! I use the waterpik every night and after meals if needed. I get my teeth cleaned at the dentist every four months and I've mostly had decent results, although once she said my gums were a little puffy. :?

I did eat nuts in the past but I usually don't anymore; the cleanup is not worth the snack!

I eat tortilla chips by the truckload, and recently popped of a bracket while eating them! In my defense, it was bonded to a crown so clearly that made it easier to pop off ... that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :BigGrin:

Briannaramma

#204 Post by Briannaramma »

I'm supposed to be flossing my entire mouth at least three time a week.
I only do it twice a month, but my orthodontist still always praises my hygiene to the high heavens.
He is an enabler.

teeebeee

#205 Post by teeebeee »

Briannaramma wrote:I'm supposed to be flossing my entire mouth at least three time a week.
I only do it twice a month, but my orthodontist still always praises my hygiene to the high heavens.
He is an enabler.
:-** :-*

kelly88

#206 Post by kelly88 »

OK... I posted on this thread a little while ago. I felt better than you all, I felt well behaved, I felt all saintly and good.

That didn't last.

I'm four months (and a bit) in to treatment and... I'm probably an orthodontists worst nightmare.

I have to say that I haven't broken anything yet though!

I floss every day. I don't brush after eating. I brush twice a day and that's it (sometimes brush in between if my mouth feels horrible). I eat everything. I mean EVERYTHING. Nuts, crusty rolls, tortilla chips, chocolate, chewy candy, hard candy. You name it, it's been in my mouth :lol: The only thing I haven't tried yet is gum and popcorn... but that's only because I didn't like them much before braces anyway.

I had another adjustment yesterday. Before I went I pulled a loose lig off to have a look at it and then put it back on again... My reasoning was that I wanted to have a look at it and I was going to the orthodontists in a few hours anyway so it wasn't going to affect anything... right?

My orthodontist only has clear powerchains. I love curry. I am constantly sporting a lovely set of yellow braces and don't care any more :lol: My love of curry and coffee won.

I had a pokey wire in between adjustments this time. I let my fiance try to file it down with a (clean) nail file. Unsuccessful.

One morning while rushing to leave the house I couldn't get the cap off the new bottle of mouthwash. In frustration I opened it with my teeth...

Basically, I'm a really bad girl. As I said, I haven't broken anything or had a bracket pop off yet though!!!

djspeece

#207 Post by djspeece »

kelly88 wrote:OK... I posted on this thread a little while ago. I felt better than you all, I felt well behaved, I felt all saintly and good.

That didn't last.

I'm four months (and a bit) in to treatment and... I'm probably an orthodontists worst nightmare.

I have to say that I haven't broken anything yet though!

I floss every day. I don't brush after eating. I brush twice a day and that's it (sometimes brush in between if my mouth feels horrible). I eat everything. I mean EVERYTHING. Nuts, crusty rolls, tortilla chips, chocolate, chewy candy, hard candy. You name it, it's been in my mouth :lol: The only thing I haven't tried yet is gum and popcorn... but that's only because I didn't like them much before braces anyway.

I had another adjustment yesterday. Before I went I pulled a loose lig off to have a look at it and then put it back on again... My reasoning was that I wanted to have a look at it and I was going to the orthodontists in a few hours anyway so it wasn't going to affect anything... right?

My orthodontist only has clear powerchains. I love curry. I am constantly sporting a lovely set of yellow braces and don't care any more :lol: My love of curry and coffee won.

I had a pokey wire in between adjustments this time. I let my fiance try to file it down with a (clean) nail file. Unsuccessful.

One morning while rushing to leave the house I couldn't get the cap off the new bottle of mouthwash. In frustration I opened it with my teeth...

Basically, I'm a really bad girl. As I said, I haven't broken anything or had a bracket pop off yet though!!!
You're progressing nicely down the road to orthodontic perdition! "Saintly and good" are overrated, anyhow.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

rainbowcatcher

#208 Post by rainbowcatcher »

I like to think of myself as a bit of a guzzler. I guzzle coke, I guzzle tea, I guzzle coffee, I guzzle red wine.

I smoke when I drink, I love biting in to burgers, I eat popcorn, nuts and curries, oh the curries. Someone asked me why I CHOSE to have yellow braces...I had to break the news it was in fact a curry stain on clear braces. Did that put me off? Hell no.

So basically if you are acidic and stain my braces. I am in to you.

Ahh I feel better after that confession :BigGrin: .

Kellyj97

#209 Post by Kellyj97 »

I've had my braces for about two years and am probably my orthodontists worst nightmare!! I've had two brackets snap off (one I swallowed whilst eating a chicken sandwich), and I only wore my elastics for about a week before giving up. After a few months my ortho realised I wouldn't wear them, so he made me wear a removable plate thing, which I also didn't wear. Last week I got a quad helix literally glued in so he knows I won't be able to remove it :( it's painful and I recommend using the elastics before you get brutal contraptions of pain and death glued to your mouth!!

KayKay

#210 Post by KayKay »

I drink iced tea every day. Otherwise, I'm not so bad about eating naughty things - I'm basically lazy. If the food is too much work to clean up from my braces and my teeth, I can walk on by.

I don't floss often - I do water pick twice a day and LOVE it. I will only brush twice a day (morning and night) and sometimes after lunch if its been messy - which is rarely.

I consider myself to be a high-maintenance orthodontist patient - as I will go in between appointments to get pokey wires clipped or bite ramps adjusted. :) I ask a ton of questions when I'm in their office because except for YOU - no one else seems interested in talking about MY brace experience. :-*
Looking forward to the new smile,
KayKay