Confess your orthodontic sins.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jfriend33

Re: Confess your orthodontic sins.

#256 Post by jfriend33 »

Dealing with annoying 7 week appointment windows as I am trying to finish up treatment, powerchain from dental school keeps fading and breaking where my rubber band attaches at, so I have purchased my own online and it has worked marvelously. I will probably change it every 2 weeks as well. Very easy to put on!

Bracingmyself901

#257 Post by Bracingmyself901 »

Couldn't resist the caramel once. So delicious, so sticky haha

Chrichri

#258 Post by Chrichri »

This thread is hilarious !

Beckett

#259 Post by Beckett »

I had s'mores at a family bonfire.

And I started chewing gum but it's "prescribed" by my ortho so that feels weird. But it's sugarless Trident/Orbit so safe for braces. Still feels like I'm breaking the rules though.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

shortcircuit

#260 Post by shortcircuit »

Vetoing treatment altogether instead of getting a second opinion when I was in my early teens. Definitely no point in spending any time now wondering "what if......"

hazedazed

#261 Post by hazedazed »

I cant give up my cereal and sweets

SingleJawMelb

#262 Post by SingleJawMelb »

hazedazed wrote:I cant give up my cereal and sweets
Cereal?

hazedazed

#263 Post by hazedazed »

[quote="SingleJawMelb"][quote="hazedazed"]I cant give up my cereal and sweets[/quote]

Cereal?[/quote]
Yes like cornflakes.

jjtimken

#264 Post by jjtimken »

hmm let's see ... have I sinned? .... definitely!

been in braces for a little over 3 months now and so far I'm guilty of the following :
I eat candy or chocolate whenever I want. I never drink water that stuff is poison. I live on soda, that's my life blood. I eat whatever I can manage to eat without too much pain. so if it doesn't hurt too bad then I eat it. I'm not even sure I read the list of don't eats, it pretty much looked like " if it tastes good, it's forbidden" so I filed that in the trash can immediately. Brushing after meals is strictly reserved for when I'm not full and lazy and or tired, which I'm pretty much lazy all the time. Coffee is a must to wake up in the morning with lots of sugar for energy ! I don't smoke but I do dip and so far I don't really see any problems with that. ( yeah I know not good for me but it's far too late to stop now... at least easily.. see above comment about being lazy ) Flossing I just don't understand ..the directions say I should floss but when I go in for a visit they make all the crowded teeth jam even tighter against each other so when I come home to floss there's just no room to make it happen. Well at least I tried. Maybe I'll try again the day before the next visit. Maybe. Probably not. So far neither the dentist / hygienist / orthodontist have said I'm doing anything wrong with keeping everything clean. I just don't follow their directions !
I haven't gotten to the stage of needing elastics yet but I already know I'm not doing that. I just cringe when I think of elastic in my mouth because I know they are going to snap and hurt like hell. My orthodontist needs to find another way. He did say I would need them but nope not going to happen.
I've had 3 brackets come so far. 1 in my sleep, so there's no proof that it was my fault in any way since I was non-conscious for that.
1 because the wrong glue was used when my crown was bonded, it came off 1 hr after being bonded when I was drinking some soda so clearly not my fault in any way..
1 when the orthodontist was trying to adjust the hook into a position that wouldn't poke me, it just snapped off and flew across the room. again.. not my fault !
So far I'm innocent of any damage so I shall continue in my evil ways!

yes, I know I'm bad, but the dark side has cookies.

SingleJawMelb

#265 Post by SingleJawMelb »

hazedazed wrote:
SingleJawMelb wrote:
hazedazed wrote:I cant give up my cereal and sweets
Cereal?
Yes like cornflakes.
You've been told not to eat it?

hazedazed

#266 Post by hazedazed »

[quote="SingleJawMelb"][quote="hazedazed"][quote="SingleJawMelb"]

Cereal?[/quote]
Yes like cornflakes.[/quote]

You've been told not to eat it?[/quote]
Yes unless soggy and softned with milk, yuck.
I just eat it as normal I dont see the issue..

hazedazed

#267 Post by hazedazed »

[quote="jjtimken"]hmm let's see ... have I sinned? .... definitely!

been in braces for a little over 3 months now and so far I'm guilty of the following :
I eat candy or chocolate whenever I want. I never drink water that stuff is poison. I live on soda, that's my life blood. I eat whatever I can manage to eat without too much pain. so if it doesn't hurt too bad then I eat it. I'm not even sure I read the list of don't eats, it pretty much looked like " if it tastes good, it's forbidden" so I filed that in the trash can immediately. Brushing after meals is strictly reserved for when I'm not full and lazy and or tired, which I'm pretty much lazy all the time. Coffee is a must to wake up in the morning with lots of sugar for energy ! I don't smoke but I do dip and so far I don't really see any problems with that. ( yeah I know not good for me but it's far too late to stop now... at least easily.. see above comment about being lazy ) Flossing I just don't understand ..the directions say I should floss but when I go in for a visit they make all the crowded teeth jam even tighter against each other so when I come home to floss there's just no room to make it happen. Well at least I tried. Maybe I'll try again the day before the next visit. Maybe. Probably not. So far neither the dentist / hygienist / orthodontist have said I'm doing anything wrong with keeping everything clean. I just don't follow their directions !
I haven't gotten to the stage of needing elastics yet but I already know I'm not doing that. I just cringe when I think of elastic in my mouth because I know they are going to snap and hurt like hell. My orthodontist needs to find another way. He did say I would need them but nope not going to happen.
I've had 3 brackets come so far. 1 in my sleep, so there's no proof that it was my fault in any way since I was non-conscious for that.
1 because the wrong glue was used when my crown was bonded, it came off 1 hr after being bonded when I was drinking some soda so clearly not my fault in any way..
1 when the orthodontist was trying to adjust the hook into a position that wouldn't poke me, it just snapped off and flew across the room. again.. not my fault !
So far I'm innocent of any damage so I shall continue in my evil ways!

yes, I know I'm bad, but the dark side has cookies.[/quote]
Well I guarantee you this, prepare for teeth decay 100%
So on top of braces you are gonna have a new problem, your whole teeth gonna fall off amd you will need implants for sure.
I mean eating anything is fine AS LONG as you CLEAN and FLOSS after each sin.
Theres no excuse as to why you fail to do so...

jjtimken

#268 Post by jjtimken »

i clean twice a day i just don't floss! so far everything has been fine no decay or buildup anywhere when i had my first cleaning with braces last month ( :

SingleJawMelb

#269 Post by SingleJawMelb »

hazedazed wrote:
SingleJawMelb wrote:
hazedazed wrote: Yes like cornflakes.
You've been told not to eat it?
Yes unless soggy and softned with milk, yuck.
I just eat it as normal I dont see the issue..
There is nothing I avoid and my ortho said not to avoid anything. Chewing gum isn't an option, apples are a pain to clean out.... but apart from that it's all good.

alivh

#270 Post by alivh »

I eat soooo many *forbidden* things and in the forbidden way (biting). Ex: my mom makes me cut my apples, but whenever she's not around, I bite. #rebel :D
I only brush twice a day and NEVER floss