Tightness of bite in the morning vs during the day?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sara2280

Tightness of bite in the morning vs during the day?

#1 Post by sara2280 »

I wear vertical elastics canine to canine on each side. I am expected to wear them day and night. Through my experience over the past 4 months of wearing these is that when I put new ones on before bed they still feel tight in the morning and my open bite looks almost closed. After I brush in the morning I put a new set in an periodically change them throughout the day. As the day goes on, my bite does not stay as closed or as tight as it was when I first awoke in the morning. I can't imagine my teeth would shift that much in a short amount of time? Is this normal? Why does this happen? Has anyone else experienced this?

samoorelaw

Re: Tightness of bite in the morning vs during the day?

#2 Post by samoorelaw »

I also experience this. I had a posterior open bite and now have a lateral open bite on the right side, but in the morning, that side always feels like it's more closed than it feels throughout the day. No clue why this happens but there you go.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

JohnsonSon

#3 Post by JohnsonSon »

Happened to me too, just give it time and it will start to stabilize.

Even now that I don't wear the vertical elastics my bite still feels more closed in the morning when I first wake up and feels more relaxed during the day.

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

I expect it has to do with the fact that your jaw muscles are totally relaxed at night, but have at least some tension throughout the day. As your muscles "re-train" I think you'll notice a change.