Will I regret metal braces on the top teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Katzchen

Will I regret metal braces on the top teeth?

#1 Post by Katzchen »

I'm going for records in mid May and will be having braces put in in July. Right now the prices from my consult are based on standard metal braces-- top and bottom. The orthodontist I am working with strongly suggested having ceramic brackets on top as they are less visible. He said that I will be one of his only adult patients to go with metal on top.

Has any one regretted having metal braces on the top? Are the ceramic really that much less noticeable?

Bracedforthewedding

Re: Will I regret metal braces on the top teeth?

#2 Post by Bracedforthewedding »

Katzchen wrote:I'm going for records in mid May and will be having braces put in in July. Right now the prices from my consult are based on standard metal braces-- top and bottom. The orthodontist I am working with strongly suggested having ceramic brackets on top as they are less visible. He said that I will be one of his only adult patients to go with metal on top.

Has any one regretted having metal braces on the top? Are the ceramic really that much less noticeable?

I have metal brackets on top and will be getting them on the bottom soon... I think its just a personal (and budget) preference as ceramics are more expensive...

I can't believe he said you would be his only adult patient with metal brackets on top!! Since I got my brackets put on I have noticed so many adults with just metal.... I even have a 65yr old volunteer where I work with metal hardware LOL

2.25.14 Top brackets and arch wire placed
7.1.14 6 Spacers on bottom teeth
7.10.14 Bottom brackets
12.23.14 First power chain on left upper
2.18.15 Propel Treatment on upper right jaw
3.12.15 Wisdom teeth extraction/ TAD placed in pallet

helricha

#3 Post by helricha »

I don't know if you will regret it? I paid $600 more for my ceramic even though my orthodontist recommended that I get metal. The ceramic are much less noticeable and I was not willing to have metal on top for the next couple years.
Hope you make the best decision for you

November 15, 2012: 4 extractions and brackets placed
November 29, 2012: wire placed
Sentence: 36 months

ST24085

#4 Post by ST24085 »

What's your reason for not going ceramic on top? If it's money, they are not that much more at ~$600 or so. This $600 will seem like peanuts if you go metal and look in the mirror everyday wishing you'd gone with ceramic, or being self-conscious forcing yourself to hide your smile every time you're out and about because you think the metal brackets are really noticeable.

Ever since getting braces and seeing other people with them I really do notice how much less visible ceramic braces are.

I almost went with metal after reading on these forums people saying they went with them for one reason or another. At the last minute I decided to go with ceramic and I'm extremely relieved I did. Well worth it in my opinion.

If you go with ceramic, have your ortho wire tie your front six teeth or so in favour of clear ligatures to avoid the staining problem. Works like a charm. You're paying thousands of dollars. If they won't do that for you, find another ortho.

Lalaloo

#5 Post by Lalaloo »

I went with linguals just because they are hidden. I don't know if the treatment time will be longer, I spent a little more money, but at least they are not visible. That was my #1 request but...that's me. The decision is yours, depending on what is more important to you. Best luck on your upcoming journey!

Katzchen

#6 Post by Katzchen »

[quote="ST24085"]What's your reason for not going ceramic on top? If it's money, they are not that much more at ~$600 or so. This $600 will seem like peanuts if you go metal and look in the mirror everyday wishing you'd gone with ceramic, or being self-conscious forcing yourself to hide your smile every time you're out and about because you think the metal brackets are really noticeable.

Ever since getting braces and seeing other people with them I really do notice how much less visible ceramic braces are.[/quote]

Part of it is cost, but the other part is that I've been told that ceramic brackets are bigger. I'm a children's mental health assessor and talk to kids and there families all day, so I want whatever will allow me to talk most comfortably.

Katzchen

#7 Post by Katzchen »

[quote="Lalaloo"]I went with linguals just because they are hidden. I don't know if the treatment time will be longer, I spent a little more money, but at least they are not visible. That was my #1 request but...that's me. The decision is yours, depending on what is more important to you. Best luck on your upcoming journey![/quote]

I would love linguals or Invisalign, but I am not a candidate per two orthos.

sirwired

#8 Post by sirwired »

I would have gone with ceramic if I could have. (Surgical patient; surgeons don't like ceramic braces... too fragile during surgery, which puts a lot of stress on the hooks.)

djspeece

#9 Post by djspeece »

I went with ceramics on top because they are definitely less visible, and that provides some extra measure of confidence although in general I am not lacking in that particular department. To me the extra money was worth it.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

boodles8

#10 Post by boodles8 »

If you work with kids, I think you'll find your work is enhanced by metal brackets. I had a pediatric clinical rotation last semester for my graduate program, and my metal braces opened up at least one conversation with a teenager which otherwise might not have happened.

As for comfort, I think you'll find it doesn't really make a difference which one you choose. Either one will be very irritating at first, and you will adjust to either one.
Boodles8

Braced July, 2012
BSSO August, 2013
Debraced October 2, 2014

MrsCharisma

#11 Post by MrsCharisma »

My ortho gives adults free ceramic on the front 6 teeth. He gave me ceramic on top completely (except for molars) for free.

I don't think you'll regret it though.

The thing is, you will likely be self conscious for awhile and then eventually stop caring once you get accustomed to your braces. You will have the benefit of not worrying about staining and having smaller brackets (the ceramics feel SO bulky at first!!!).

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

kids041

#12 Post by kids041 »

I am an adult and I have all metal braces. I don't mind in the least. I enjoy using colored ligs and powerchains. I figure if I am going to have braces, I might as well em"brace" them ;)

Bracedforthewedding

#13 Post by Bracedforthewedding »

kids041 wrote:I am an adult and I have all metal braces. I don't mind in the least. I enjoy using colored ligs and powerchains. I figure if I am going to have braces, I might as well em"brace" them ;)
I felt the same way! Might as well do it the fun way!

2.25.14 Top brackets and arch wire placed
7.1.14 6 Spacers on bottom teeth
7.10.14 Bottom brackets
12.23.14 First power chain on left upper
2.18.15 Propel Treatment on upper right jaw
3.12.15 Wisdom teeth extraction/ TAD placed in pallet

sara2280

#14 Post by sara2280 »

I have ceramic tops and bottoms. At my ortho's office the price difference between metal and ceramic was only $500. When you are talking about $5000 on ortho work, $500 seems like nothing. I liked the clear at first because it was less noticeable which was nice at first due to my own self confidence issues. The one thing I didn't like was how badly the clear ligs stain over time no matter what you try to do to prevent it. So after having clear ligs for 2 adjustments I opted for a color this time. I was tired of how yellow and yucky my teeth looked with the stained ligs. My adjustments are every 6-8 weeks so you ca only imagine how gross they get despite a lot of brushing. Plus, my braces were always noticeable because of the vertical elastics I have to wear to close my open bite. So now I have blue ligs and a part of me wishes that I would've just opted for metal from the beginning. Hope this helps.

bbsadmin

#15 Post by bbsadmin »

I had ceramics on top and metal on the bottom for almost 3 years.

In the end, I wished that I'd had metal all over. After I got over the initial "shock" of seeing myself with braces, I realized it really wasn't such a big deal. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with metal all around and save the extra money that the ceramics cost.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!