removing braces temporarily after a few weeks

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

milkteeth

removing braces temporarily after a few weeks

#1 Post by milkteeth »

Hi everyone,

I only had my braces about two weeks ago, but hoping to remove it temporarily for an upcoming work trip. It's a speaking engagement and having a 2-wk old metal in my mouth is still not comfortable. I have developed sores over the weeks and some of them are still there. Since I have only started, i think it shouldn't be much of an issue? Except maybe i'll have to pay extra. Anyone knows roughly how much?

PS: I originally wanted to get the treatment if I had about 4 weeks of no travel. But when I consulted my ortho, he said I should be fine in a few days.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks heaps!

Nozzelnut

Re: removing braces temporarily after a few weeks

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

I'd say keep them on. Of course I don't know your schedule, but that 4 week period may never arrive. Use wax, the thin plastic covers or whatever you need to reduce the mouth sores.

Practice reading aloud in the mean time.

I wouldn't be embarrassed about them either. You could work them into your speech if you need.

As far as cost; not sure, as it seems to be quite different throughout the country.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

chichi

#3 Post by chichi »

Keep them on. I have a long drive to and from work and I sing along with the radio, which made speaking so much easier. So sing and/or practice speaking. It would be a waste of time and money to get them off just for your work trip. Put wax on the areas that are bothering you and suck it up (not trying to be rude, but it's my best advice).
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

milkteeth

#4 Post by milkteeth »

Noted that. I was hoping someone would agree with me. :) Anyway, I will talk it through with my ortho before deciding. And i'll let you guys know. Cheers!

Lalaloo

#5 Post by Lalaloo »

Keep your braces on. They are part of you now. :)

Ciara

#6 Post by Ciara »

I have to do a lot of public speaking and found my braces bothersome for the first 2-3 weeks. I had a few mouth ulcers but no real pain from the actual braces. Mouth wash, salt water rinses, and wax helped these ulcers heal pretty quickly. If I have to do a presentation, I still cover any brackets that may cause a problem with wax and I make sure to drink plenty of water while speaking. I would suggest you stick with it. It does get much easier.

sirwired

#7 Post by sirwired »

It'll cost you a fortune to do this; even if the brackets are re-used, it's still several hours of labor.

Keep treating the sores; rinses every time you have a chance (I used Gly-Oxide and Rincinol) and wax during the day. Your cheeks and lips WILL toughen up.

djspeece

#8 Post by djspeece »

I don't think it would be terribly expensive, but you would probably gain a lot of confidence by leaving them on; and since speaking engagements are a regular part of your job that would be a good thing. If you are only speaking for an hour or two not much additional irritation will be done, and by then your mouth should be toughened up quite a bit. I personally would not want to go through the first two weeks of braces again. Press on! And best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

milkteeth

#9 Post by milkteeth »

I understand everyone's points here, thanks! I'm trying my best to toughen up and keep it on. The worry is I won't just be speaking for an hour or two. It will be for about 6 hours (with little pauses in between), and for the next 5 days. And I will be away for a month, which means if something falls, I can't simply run to the ortho. These are things that are running through my mind.

But thank you for the encouragement. :)

milkteeth

#10 Post by milkteeth »

Little update: I called up the dentist and spoke to the receptionist. She talked me out of it and said "NO, it's not possible" outright. When I told her I've seen it done before, the other receptionist interrupted that they actually do it, but for weddings. It will cost about $700 and takes an hour. Anyone knows if this is within the right price and length? $700 is too much! And i've seen it done for less than 10 mins on YT. Again, just keeping my options open, in case I really have to.

Norrie

#11 Post by Norrie »

I think that you need to take your other options more seriously.

1. Silicone wax. Do you have any? Use it 24/7.
2. Those plastic guard things. I have Incognito braces, so haven't used them, but I have friends who swear by them.
3. There is a prescription mouthwash (it's expensive, around $120 even after insurance) that coats, numbs, AND heals. It is a freaking miracle worker. My mom had some from her two years of chemo, and she gave it to me to try. I used it 3-4 times a day and could not believe how much of a difference it made.

Before you even consider having them removed, I think that you need to do the above three things. I had to lead an all-day conference fairly soon after having my braces put on, and while it wasn't great, it went just fine. I explained up front that I had new braces, and everyone moved past it pretty much immediately.

Nozzelnut

#12 Post by Nozzelnut »

$700 sounds ok.

From the orthodontist's perspective; you as the patient should have planned ahead better, you're doing something very uncommon, you might do this in the future, you're throwing his work in the trash; somewhat wasting his time, the original cost probably included only one set of brackets put on, I'd imagine they won't reuse them for liability and health reasons, this somewhat large amount probably deters quite a few folks from doing this...

But you as a paying customer, can have the final say in your treatment, but it will cost you.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

milkteeth

#13 Post by milkteeth »

Where can i buy the plastic guard things?
For the prescription mouthwash, can i ask my ortho to prescribe this (or something similar) to me?

Today i talked for about 6 hours. It was difficult, the braces keep rubbing on my inner lips. I hope i didn't sound like mumbling.

MrsCharisma

#14 Post by MrsCharisma »

milkteeth wrote:
Today i talked for about 6 hours. It was difficult, the braces keep rubbing on my inner lips. I hope i didn't sound like mumbling.
Wax.

Using relatively thin/narrow strips, wax your entire mouth.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

boodles8

#15 Post by boodles8 »

http://www.dentakit.com/dewaxalandli.html

There are a few varieties sold.

About the mouthwash, I suggest you start with your ortho, and if he doesn't prescribe it, talk to your family doctor.
Boodles8

Braced July, 2012
BSSO August, 2013
Debraced October 2, 2014