Midline elastics question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

samoorelaw

Midline elastics question

#1 Post by samoorelaw »

Hello all:

Yesterday, I had my first real adjustment post-surgery and was finally given elastics to wear to correct my midline, but only at night: the other elastics I wear are full time except for when I eat and brush my teeth.

Anyway, after only one night with the midline elastic, my midline was spot-on corrected and in the center! However, as soon as the elastic was taken off, as I'm only to wear them at night, the midline shifted back to its original position. Has anyone else ever experienced such quick movement with the elastic only to have it shift back immediately? How long approximately did it take you to see more permanent correction of your midline after elastics wear?
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

chichi

Re: Midline elastics question

#2 Post by chichi »

I'd like to see the answer to this one too. I wore elastics to correct my midline 24/7 for 2 months. The day after my ortho told me to stop wearing those, my midline had already shifted back.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

samoorelaw

#3 Post by samoorelaw »

Really, nobody can answer this question?

naijadiva

#4 Post by naijadiva »

I started wearing midline elastics for a second time in December, and I wore them up until February. I experienced the same thing you did; shifting after the elastics being off for a bit. After a while, they didn't shift as much as they used to. My braces came off about two weeks ago, and now immediately after I take my Essix Retainer, my midline looks slightly off, however, it goes back to being perfect after I eat or I've had it off for a bit... It's so weird, but I don't even worry about it anymore.

samoorelaw

#5 Post by samoorelaw »

naijadiva wrote:I started wearing midline elastics for a second time in December, and I wore them up until February. I experienced the same thing you did; shifting after the elastics being off for a bit. After a while, they didn't shift as much as they used to. My braces came off about two weeks ago, and now immediately after I take my Essix Retainer, my midline looks slightly off, however, it goes back to being perfect after I eat or I've had it off for a bit... It's so weird, but I don't even worry about it anymore.
Thanks for the response. Did you wear yours full time or only at night? I switched to wearing it full time and I notice the midline stays better when I remove it. I did this even though my ortho said only at night. I want these damn things off already! lol

naijadiva

#6 Post by naijadiva »

samoorelaw wrote:
naijadiva wrote:I started wearing midline elastics for a second time in December, and I wore them up until February. I experienced the same thing you did; shifting after the elastics being off for a bit. After a while, they didn't shift as much as they used to. My braces came off about two weeks ago, and now immediately after I take my Essix Retainer, my midline looks slightly off, however, it goes back to being perfect after I eat or I've had it off for a bit... It's so weird, but I don't even worry about it anymore.
Thanks for the response. Did you wear yours full time or only at night? I switched to wearing it full time and I notice the midline stays better when I remove it. I did this even though my ortho said only at night. I want these damn things off already! lol
No problem... I was told to wear them at night or as much as possible, so I wore them as much as possible... Even at work... LOL. I just wanted it over with.

samoorelaw

#7 Post by samoorelaw »

Hello all:

I had an adjustment today. Orthodontist gave me only one elastic to wear on my left side, in a Class III configuration to correct the midline. This seems a bit odd to me because everything I've read about midline correction online states that I need to have the elastic configuration that goes from the upper left canine to my lower right canine. My ortho said the Class III would shift my lower jaw to the left to correct the midline. However, my understanding is that Class III elastics seem to shift the upper teeth forward and the lower teeth back to fix an underbite, which I no longer have after my jaw surgery. I haven't read anything about this configuration correcting the midline.

Anyone here ever wear Class III elastics to fix a midline?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gramma2xander

#8 Post by gramma2xander »

Hi, when my midline got corrected I wore elastics on both sides. what you have on the left and on the right side Iwore it just the opposite. Midline is perfect now.

samoorelaw

#9 Post by samoorelaw »

gramma2xander wrote:Hi, when my midline got corrected I wore elastics on both sides. what you have on the left and on the right side Iwore it just the opposite. Midline is perfect now.
Hi,

I'm actually wearing the elastic on the left side only. By opposite, do you mean you wore Class II elastics to correct an overjet/overbite?

Anna5

#10 Post by Anna5 »

I also wore midline elastics fulltime for two months and now I am only wearing them at night.
The elastics helped to move my midline by 1,5 cm, but unfortanately my midline is still off and my ortho says he cannot fix it.
I hope after wearing the elastics my midline will not further relapse into the wrong direction!

samoorelaw

#11 Post by samoorelaw »

What I'm concerned about is my bite feels "off" when the midline is on center. With the elastic on, when I bite down, there is one tooth on the bottom that hits a tooth on top but when I remove the elastic, my bite feels much more natural and no teeth hit. Granted I just got the elastic yesterday but I'm wondering if this "edge to edge" bite going on with that one tooth is a sign that I'm not meant to have a perfect midline? I honestly don't care about my midline being a bit off: all I ultimately care about is having a good bite. Don't know what to do: orthodontist's office told me to give it time, and that the ortho put some bends in the archwire to account for the midline elastic, but the fact that my bite feels this off only one day after the adjustment, well, I'm having significant doubts.

gramma2xander

#12 Post by gramma2xander »

No, I didn't have overbite/overjet. When my midline was corrected on one side I wore elastic back top molar to front bottom canine. Other side was back bottom molar to top canine. And its perfect.

chichi

#13 Post by chichi »

samoorelaw wrote:Hello all:

I had an adjustment today. Orthodontist gave me only one elastic to wear on my left side, in a Class III configuration to correct the midline. This seems a bit odd to me because everything I've read about midline correction online states that I need to have the elastic configuration that goes from the upper left canine to my lower right canine. My ortho said the Class III would shift my lower jaw to the left to correct the midline. However, my understanding is that Class III elastics seem to shift the upper teeth forward and the lower teeth back to fix an underbite, which I no longer have after my jaw surgery. I haven't read anything about this configuration correcting the midline.

I had class III elastics to fix a midline. It worked great, but my midline shifted again once my ortho had me stop wearing that configuration. I would personally take class III over anything that goes across the front of my teeth any day. It'll do the job, so don't worry too much about it :)

samoorelaw

#14 Post by samoorelaw »

chichi wrote:
samoorelaw wrote:Hello all:

I had class III elastics to fix a midline. It worked great, but my midline shifted again once my ortho had me stop wearing that configuration. I would personally take class III over anything that goes across the front of my teeth any day. It'll do the job, so don't worry too much about it :)
That's good to know. Did you experience your bite being off with the Class III? The two teeth clashing together is driving me crazy! But the ortho put bends in the archwire on that side so I'm assuming the bends will try to move one of the teeth on the lower jaw so it won't clash with the tooth on top.

chichi

#15 Post by chichi »

samoorelaw wrote:That's good to know. Did you experience your bite being off with the Class III? The two teeth clashing together is driving me crazy! But the ortho put bends in the archwire on that side so I'm assuming the bends will try to move one of the teeth on the lower jaw so it won't clash with the tooth on top.
At the time, my bite was pretty much perfect. My midline has shifted since then and I haven't found a comfortable resting position in the past couple months, so I feel your pain with the clashing teeth.