Switching orthos at the last minute-advice/vent.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tobilei

Switching orthos at the last minute-advice/vent.

#1 Post by Tobilei »

Hi everyone :) Just after some other thoughts on my situation.

Long story short I've been in braces for quite a few months longer than proposed. For at least the last 8 months I've been telling my ortho that a molar at the back we have moved forward feels too long and grinds down on the tooth below creating an uneven bite and difficulty chewing. This was always met with an "it will settle down" and a slight adjustment. Usually he lays me straight down and I try to explain what's going on while he makes the adjustment. I don't ever feel listened to.

However it never settled down and as I was due to have my braces off in a little over a week I was getting concerned that it would be like this forever so I made an emergency appointment and my ortho gave me a new bottom wire and a new elastic configuration telling me that things would settle down after I get the braces off and that I was still on track for debanding. He told me we would move the bottom tooth down further to accommodate the upper tooth (which kind of didn't make sense to me because the bottom tooth feels fine, the pressure is all in the top tooth.

By last night I could not chew anything at all. Not only was the back tooth still grinding but the upper and lower tooth in front of it were clashing every time I tried to chew ensuring not a single tooth other than those 2 met up when trying to bite down (dinner was..........interesting).

I went back this morning and saw a different ortho in the same office who really listened to everything I had to say. He held little mirrors in my mouth, got me to bite down, got me to bite down where I feel like I should bite down, not where my teeth dictate I bite and had a good look. He looked quite confused about my teeth in general and said that he thinks the bottom arch has been made too narrow and that's why the top teeth keeps clashing. So another new wire and I'm due to go back in 3 weeks to see my usual ortho. Braces unlikely to come off for at least another couple of months while we fix the problem (providing if I go back to my ortho the problem actually gets fixed).

However I sort of feel a bit disgruntled at this point and like maybe my ortho (who I've commented before I think finds me a little annoying for whatever reason) just isn't listening to me and is maybe not doing the right thing by me. I would maybe like to see this other ortho from the same practice but I'm terrified it will look horrendously rude if I happen to run into my current ortho while there. Actually I'm not sure I even have the courage to call the practice and ask.

Just to cement my decision a little more I've only had that last adjustment 3 hours ago and while it wasn't comfortable, I managed to actually chew my lunch properly (which is what our teeth are meant to do after all).

Thoughts and opinions? Should I stick it out with my usual ortho or maybe ask to give this other one a try?

Thanks if you made it this far! Sorry it's long!

Bikerchick85

Re: Switching orthos at the last minute-advice/vent.

#2 Post by Bikerchick85 »

Good to hear from you, Tobilei! I was wondering about your pending deband.
My opinion is that you call the practice and tell them that you want your treatment finished by this other Ortho and that you are to only see him from here on out. I wouldn't worried about stepping on any toes. You have paid good money for your treatment and you deserve to be completely satisfied with your results.
If you do happen to run into him and he confronts you (which I highly doubt will happen) tell him that you switched to the other Ortho in the practice because you felt he seemed annoyed by you and that you were doing him a favor, smile and go on about your business girl! ;)

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

Tobilei

#3 Post by Tobilei »

Thank you Biker Chick!

Lol, yes, been crazy busy! Had my oven, my fridge and my washing machine all go or be super close to going in the last couple of weeks, still battling my health, adopted a new kitty who was sick sick sick (still trying to get her completely on the mend), 3 kiddies with never ending appointments plus battling with the teeth. I've barely had time to breathe!

Thanks for the advice. I guess why I'm most concerned is that our twins are booked in to see him as well in only 3 weeks so having to face him after I've dumped him with our kids is somewhat embarrassing (although he's not done any treatment on them so there's nothing making me keep them going to him). I am doubtful about sending them to him after my experience, although he treated my eldest and I am very happy with the work he did on her teeth. I think he realized from the start I was going to be "difficult" and sort of just tuned me out after that.

I think I'll do what you said. Just have to work up the nerve to call and say all that (I'm such a chicken!)

nikkibabie19

#4 Post by nikkibabie19 »

Like biker said. You are paying him for a service and quite frankly if you are not satisfied with it, then you should really consider switching...

Plus since its in the same practice, your record will be accessible for the new ortho to work with...

Kindly call the office and notify them..

Also i dont know how the payment plan will work out though, you should ask...Expecially if you signed a contract.
But i really feel, if you are not happy, then dont take them off just yet.

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

Matilda

#5 Post by Matilda »

As others advised you, go for it. If I were you, I certainly would. The teeth are yours and so are the time and money.

djspeece

#6 Post by djspeece »

I generally agree with Bikerchick but would probably seek a 1:1 conversation with original ortho to explain your plan, and rationale. He may respond with shock (some people are just clueless about the way they come across to others) or may be relieved if he perceives you as a "problem patient." First make sure the second ortho can handle your case, and maybe speak with him first and get his take on things. Don't burn the bridge just yet, but have matches and gasoline at the ready. :D
Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

nogoingback

#7 Post by nogoingback »

Exact same situation. After asking and asking about when x y z and a b and c would be fixed, I waited and waited. I waited a long time for the issues to be resolved then all of a sudden I was told I was done. I wrote a strong email, had a meeting, was reassured and then 4 months later things were worse. I asked to switch and am really glad I did because he could see that there were lots of things that still needed attention. I've been all paid up for 10 months and was not prepared to accept a poor result. Don't think it's rude, just remember you are paying for a service. I've been given 6 months min longer and am pissed but I set out on this journey to improve things and that's what I want. Don't be fobbed off. We are vulnerable because we want the braces off but be strong and make sure your concerns are heard. Good luck.
[/url]

nogoingback

#8 Post by nogoingback »

Ps just seen your most recent photos. Your new smile looks awesome. I'm sure it won't take long even if if you do switch orthos. My case was terrible. I literally had a worse smile than when I started. You seem to have at least ended up with a good smile. Get the braces off when you are happy. Good luck.
[/url]

SunshineRay

#9 Post by SunshineRay »

Oh goodness! :shock: I would probably call the office (because Im chicken to do it face to face) and say you saw the 2nd ortho and would it be any problem to finish your treatment with him. I dont know how the money part will work. Its in the same office but Im sure the 1st ortho already claimed your money since hes done most of the work. Sorry! Oh and I would switch your other 2 kids.

Matilda

#10 Post by Matilda »

SunshineRay wrote:I dont know how the money part will work. Its in the same office but Im sure the 1st ortho already claimed your money since hes done most of the work.
This shouldn't be a problem. The practice I go to operates on multiple locations with multiple orthodontists. I was told patients constantly switch orthodontists and the money part is never an issue.

Tobilei

#11 Post by Tobilei »

Thank you everyone! Sorry, late again, internet access has been sketchy of late (plus aforementioned fridge hunting that took 5 hours straight yesterday to come to the conclusion that we hate them all :P).

I ended up calling the secretary and asking to switch. She checked with her manager and told me they don't like to do it unless there's a good reason so I told her that something I'd complained about consistently for months had been neglected to be fixed. She double checked that the new ortho was happy to take me on, which he was so it's all good :thumbsup: Just have to be sure to avoid my original ortho because I'm a chicken! Unfortunately the new one is super busy so I don't even have another adjustment for over a month, but I'm willing to wait to have them comfortable! I need to be able to chew!

nikkiebabie, I did sign a contract, however I believe it was with the practice not the individual orthodontist. I was paid up in full so I'm not sure what happens but they've given the okay so I assume it goes to whomever treats me (or at least a portion of it).

djspece, oops, burned the bridge already! I'm pretty sure he was clueless and I would have kept with him had I not complained about this particular problem for the entirety of my treatment. The fact he was ready for them to come off (and he wasn't the one set to remove them anyway) he'll probably just assume they're off and all is good. You're right though, sometimes it's good not to burn the bridge too early!

nogoingback, oh I'm sorry you've had that happen! I still need more work done with my smile, the front needs some bonding to even it out and I have to get something done about the baby tooth that's left a gap, I was lucky though, other than the few gaps in the front most of the work needed to be done at the back (and still does). I'm sorry yours looked worse than when you started :( That's really terrible!

SunshineRay, lol I'm a chicken too! That's exactly what I did.

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate the advice!!