Austin Powers! Yeah baby!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Langers00

Austin Powers! Yeah baby!!

#1 Post by Langers00 »

Well here i am.

Hello everyone, i am Mark from Essex in the UK. Aged 37 and 3 weeks into having braces fitted. That's 3 weeks into treatment, not aged 37 and 3 weeks! If im being pedantic im 37 and 2 months.

From since i can remember i have disliked my smile and been conscious of my crooked, overcrowded smile. I obviously kicked up a fuss when a child about going to the dentist as my parents kind of gave up and stopped taking me. At the time this must have been a great result for me!

Whilst all my school friends where going through the horrible braces stage at school (yes, we do have dental care in the UK) i was laughing at them all with their train track teeth.

Well as i got a bit older, i wasnt laughing anymore! :o)

The cost of braces has always been a stumbling block for me. The NHS (National Health Service) only covers children and so the full cost of any 'cosmetic' dentistry must be funded fully by myself. Recently i just thought if i dont do it now, i never will.

So 5 extractions later and both a top and bottom brace being fitted, im on the road to a nicer smile (hopefully) Already after the 3 weeks i am noticing a gap between my front two teeth but hey, if thats all i have to worry about then i can live with that. I'll dicuss that with my Ortho when i go back for my next tightening to see if it can be closed up later on in the process.

For anyone looking for cost comparritives, all in so far it's cost £4360 ($7190) which includes braces, whitening and retainers. A lot of money, but i'm well and truly living up to the English perception of having bad teeth :o)

Suffice to say i am literally scared for my personal safety when these bad boys come off. The ladies wont be able to control themselves! :o)

When i have enough posts i will add some pictures to track my progress.

Matilda

Re: Austin Powers! Yeah baby!!

#2 Post by Matilda »

:lol: Thanks for the laugh, Mark!

Welcome to the community and best of luck on your journey!

Chicken

#3 Post by Chicken »

Welcome. Looking forward to following your progress. I used to be your neighbor in Suffolk. Now living in the U.S.

NeilH

#4 Post by NeilH »

Good luck Mark, hope all goes well.

Langers00

#5 Post by Langers00 »

Thanks guys.

Well the transformation from Austin Powers to James Bond continues.

Having really different days with the braces at the moment. Some days they are really digging in and annoying the hell out of me, resulting in me applying what seems like a whole candle accross both braces! (i snip the wick off obviously) Other days its like i have forgotten they are even on!

So what's everyones experience of gaps appearing due to having braces on? My front two teeth where slightly overlapping and then as they are moving, the gap at the top is quite noticable now. They are naturally slimmer at the top and widen at the bottom so will i have to live with the gap (as said in my initial post - not the end of the world) or has anyone had this rectified? I've stopped Water Flossing inbetween in case i blast more gum away! :o)

Sailrgrl

#6 Post by Sailrgrl »

So what's everyones experience of gaps appearing due to having braces on? My front two teeth where slightly overlapping and then as they are moving, the gap at the top is quite noticable now. They are naturally slimmer at the top and widen at the bottom so will i have to live with the gap (as said in my initial post - not the end of the world) or has anyone had this rectified?

Welcome Mark! Yes, it can be fixed. My orthodontist used what felt like sandpaper to file away a very tiny amount of the sides of the tooth near the biting surface. It felt like he was sanding half the tooth off, but I couldn't even tell when I looked. Within 2 days, the gap was gone.
Damon clear on top placed May 30, 2013. Damon metal on bottom placed September 16, 2013.

Langers00

#7 Post by Langers00 »

[quote="Sailrgrl"]Welcome Mark! Yes, it can be fixed. My orthodontist used what felt like sandpaper to file away a very tiny amount of the sides of the tooth near the biting surface. It felt like he was sanding half the tooth off, but I couldn't even tell when I looked. Within 2 days, the gap was gone.[/quote]

Ok thats good! Like i say, in the grand scheme of things, i wouldnt be too bothered considering what i currently have but i hope to only ever go through this process the once, so might as well try for the best outcome! Having said that, I'm not sure a light sanding would make much difference - it's quite a big triangle!

So did you ask for him to do that or was it something he just did as a matter of course?

Ataerys14

#8 Post by Ataerys14 »

Lol at this post - class
Best of luck Mark! I am new here and not yet braced but can totally relate to your comments about UK dentistry, hopefully I can get braced asap and join you in helping dispel the rumour that all Brits have terrible teeth!

Langers00

#9 Post by Langers00 »

Join in Ataerys14! Just go for it, you won't regret it.

So I'm off for my next tightening tomorrow morning and have fully researched IPR, so will be asking about this to see if I can get shot of the triangles at some stage.

I look forward to going as I know with every appointment it means the old toothy pegs will be on the move even more!

Will update you on how it goes.

Langers00

#10 Post by Langers00 »

Well I'm back - all tightened up and ready for movement.

I have some wierd looking spring/coil thing attached to my wire which i assume helps push two teeth apart. I didnt notice until i got in my car and looked in the mirror! Inbetween these two teeth is what my 4 yr old refers to as 'Daddy's stuck tooth'. He said by the next appointment we should be able to start pulling it forwards! Whoop! (It'lll all make sense if i upload a picture - not sure how to - i'll investigate)
Thats when i'll really start to notice the difference.

Ataerys14

#11 Post by Ataerys14 »

Thanks for the invite and join in I will decided today that's it's potentially the best few grand I will ever spend and made my appointment for next Tuesday !! She did say though only extraction and upper 4 teeth to be braced, not sure if that's the norm?

Trying not to hyperventilate and keep positive - your posts are always so upbeat and it's refreshing given the number of posts and tales of woe I've encountered especially those who had braces when younger (not great for nervous patient lool)

Glad the tightening went well can wait for pics, intrigued by the spring coil thing you mentioned I've been wondering if there will be enough room for my stuck tooth between the two others even after IPR

One burning question I have is are your teeth wobbly, as in school child wobble or can you feel them moving? It's freakin me out

I am going to fall off my chair when my 4 year old sees my metal mouth for the first time! Not sure I'm ready for her honesty :D

Langers00

#12 Post by Langers00 »

Funny you mention your childs reaction as this was partly my motivation. As mentioned my 4yr old refers to one of my teeth as a 'stuck tooth' and by getting it sorted and having a brace, im being a good role model by teaching her to look after her teeth and that having a brace is really no big deal...(should she ever need one!)

Rest assured this child of mine (and probably yours) will have the most perfect smile! :D

Regarding wobbly teeth - no they dont feel like you could pull them out with string and a good shove of a door. I can only best describe it as 'clicking'. When i push my tounge against some of the teeth, they would move ever so slightly, probably a lot less than a mm, but it kind of clicks a bit. Poor decription, but the best i can do at the moment - my creative writing skills have dried up this morning!

Be interesting to see your pictures as it sounds like an interesting case being just 4 teeth. 5-6 months will just fly past. Once people have acknowledged you have braces it becomes normal and you just start to embrace it. (ooh, see those creative skills are already coming back!!)

Ataerys14

#13 Post by Ataerys14 »

Yes that was another motivator for me - I want to be able to laugh no holds barred with the little one and lead by example
And totally - find it very difficult not to be obsessed with her having a beautiful healthy smile :D
LOL at string and door, I had to move my appointment back to the week after (Tues 22nd) due to work - booo but on the plus side I can eat Easter dinner and enjoy the "Last Supper" and am off the rest of the week

But apparently yes the top 4 braces first followed by the rest
Oh thats good that they wont moving all around - made me feel quisea sick lol
I actually cant wait now - scheduled in a deep clean with hygienist ahead of braces

Haha and yes I see what you did there and those creative skills never left :lol:

Langers00

#14 Post by Langers00 »

Right so a brief update from me.

As my teeth continue to move i see more black triangles which i guess is a result of gum recess over the years of having crooked teeth. I have been told they will close up over time but the biggest one is slap bang in the middle top. I guess IPR will be coming to sort that out but thats fine.

Also had the wire just pop out of a bracket over the bank holiday weekend. They said that particular bracket doesnt matter too much at the moment ,but hey, im paying a lot of money for this so i went in and they put it back in for me!

Other than that not much else to report.

As you were. :)

Langers00

Re: Austin Powers! Yeah baby - UPDATE inc' pics!

#15 Post by Langers00 »

So, update time. So about 4 months in now.

This is what my bottom teeth looked like at the start - after extractions obviously! :shock:

And this is them 4 months on - (Love that star shirt!) :)

As you can see, quite a lot of movement which is good. Long way to go still!!