New to Braces- need tips

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

GDA2515

New to Braces- need tips

#1 Post by GDA2515 »

Hello,

I'm 27 and just got my braces on today (ceramic on top, metal on bottom). I felt pretty prepared in terms of taking tylenol ahead of time, getting some soft foods ready, and knowing it would be an adjustment emotionally and physically.

But now that they're on the care seems overwhelming! My ortho sent me home with wax, and instructions on how to floss and brush. They told me to buy a flouride mouthwash, superfloss, and peroxyl mouthwash too. I added some orajel to that shopping list and a travel toothbrush and toothpaste.

My main questions- I've seen a lot about the electric toothbrushes being best for brushing with braces and I've also seen a lot about the waterpik. Are these two items I should get and if so any advice on what to get? I googled these products and it looks like their are numerous products out there and I'm overwhelmed. I also live on quite the budget and affording these braces was enough so I'm not sure I can drop hundreds on a toothbrush and waterpik right now- but might need to?

Also, I travel a lot for work and need to know the staples to keep with me. I have a toothbrush and toothpaste and plan to keep those around but what else is key when you're constantly on the go and constantly speaking in front of large groups of people?

Thank you in advance!

boodles8

Re: New to Braces- need tips

#2 Post by boodles8 »

I don't think you need to drop any amount on expensive electronics. Personally, I've made it through with a manual toothbrush, floss, floss threaders, the extra strength toothpaste from my ortho ($15/tube lasts about 9 months, I'm to use it once daily), and those itty bitty brushes (don't know the name). I just brush very carefully. I have a systematic pattern I go through every time to be sure I hit all areas. I brush twice a day. I take a close look in the mirror before and after brushing, and I use the little guys to poke junk out.

I do own a water pik, and I wouldn't have wanted to get through my jaw surgery without it. But as far as braces care, I don't use it a bit. I hear people talk about how they brush and floss and then waterpik and get loads of stuff out. I get nothing with the water pik after a careful routine with itty bitty brush, floss, and manual toothbrush. So far, no cavities, although I am not cavity-prone.

I'd say if you're on a budget, just take good care of yourself with the usual plus itty bitty brushes, and make sure to see your dentist every 6 months.
Boodles8

Braced July, 2012
BSSO August, 2013
Debraced October 2, 2014

WiredOldLady

#3 Post by WiredOldLady »

I got a sonicare toothbrush and a waterpic. The waterpic was great when I first got my braces on but I don't use it much now. My sonicare is AWESOME! I hate using a regular toothbrush anymore. I also invested in those little OralB flossers. They look like wee little brushes and are SO much easier than using floss.

When I first got my braces, my daily routine took close to 30 minutes twice a day. I now have it down to about 5 minutes.
Braces off on 8/26/14 after a year!

Gerib

#4 Post by Gerib »

I have a waterpik cordless plus, it was cheap at bed bath and beyond plus I had a coupon. Just remember, floss AND waterpiks are to be used to remove food BEFORE brushing. I use plackers brand ortho flossers, and love them. They were also cheap.
Geri

Braces on 2/18/14, elastics since day 1.

http://s71.photobucket.com/user/glcobb2 ... %20Journey
The album above is my journey in photos. I am intending to keep it updated with progress photos.

chichi

#5 Post by chichi »

I use a regular manual toothbrush and I learned to floss without even needing a threader. I didn't buy a waterpik or anything else. The one thing that has been invaluable to me since being in braces is having one of those little teepee brushes handy (my ortho gave them to me, free of charge).

It just depends on what you want to get. I'm keeping my teeth clean without the extras, but others will swear by their electronic toothbrushes or waterpiks.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

nikkibabie19

#6 Post by nikkibabie19 »

I had a waterpic as well...I found it helpful esp in those hard to floss areas...

Or when ur gums are swollen from a previous adjustment and flossing might hurt....

Other than that....for a travel pack i would suggest wax...I have wax all over...In the car, in my bedroom, in teh bathroom, in all of my handbags. Just in case.
Besides that i have the double head toothbrush i got from my ortho with the tiny brush on the end and a tube of toothpaste...thats usually all i have in my travel case...

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

djspeece

#7 Post by djspeece »

It's really a matter of personal choice to some extent. I am one of those over-achiever types who loves doo-dads, so I have an oral B electric toothbrush (I had this pre-braces), a Waterpik (Waterflosser model, adjustable pressure but I keep mine jacked up to the highest setting). I had the portable Waterpik but was underwhelmed and stopped using it. I have an OralB tongue brush which I use at least once a day. I actually don't floss -- I have had great success using the interdental ("Christmas tree") brushes dipped in Listerine to clean between the teeth, and i also work them behind the archwire as well.
My routine: First, i have to remember to remove my elastics. 18 months after getting braces, i still forget and then wonder why the *&&%%$#!! toothbrush is not working right. Pathetic, I know. I then brush, use the interdental brushes and then swish around listerine, then the Crest produce with peroxide (blanking on the name, comes in a white bottle), then tongue brushing, then a pat on the back for a job well done. Oh, then wax if needed, and the elastics.
You'll hit your stride with what you are comfortable with. I would of course follow your ortho's guidance and check with him/her if you feel the need to deviate, or just want an opinion on aforementioned doo-dads. Best of luck to you. Keep smilin'.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

kathydell

#8 Post by kathydell »

I travel quite a bit for work too and have to speak in front of people all the time. You will learn quickly how to master it. Here are the necessities I keep in my travel bag: toothbrush, toothpaste, little hand mirror, GUM aloe & vitamin E wax (love this - forget the free crap they give you at the office), gum picks (the white ones with the green ends - great for quick clean up when you need it), tylenol, and a kanka softbrush gel pen - and now of course, an extra pack of elastics. Seems like a chore but you get a routine down really quickly. The miracle tool nobody tells you about - buy a brand new toenail clipper, sterilize it and put that in your bag. It's fantastic when you get a pokie wire that you just need to deal with on your own. I know, I know. But I think we all probably have to do it once by ourselves. You will also be amazed how good of a cleaner a couple of good swishes of water are when you have to eat during a lunch meeting. Don't be afraid to brush in public either. I have met some of the nicest brace faces in the airport bathroom. It seems like a chore now for sure but you'll adapt quickly.

kathydell

#9 Post by kathydell »

Forgot one thing - I keep a little tube of lip balm in my notebook. Don't go anywhere without it. I've found myself in a long meeting where I've forgotten it from time to time and it will drive you crazy. I got in the habit of taking my notebook everywhere at work so I'm never caught without the lip balm.

rowo

#10 Post by rowo »

I've got most of what has been mentioned.
For me, my essentials would be: electric toothbrush (when I have to use a manual now I don't feel as though it is thorough enough), interdental brushes (I keep 1 in the bathroom and 1 in my handbag), wax, lip balm, superfloss.

I have a waterpik too which I use semi regularly. It doesn't seem to do much more than the superfloss but I use it anyway.

GDA2515

#11 Post by GDA2515 »

Thanks for the great advice! I'm on day 3 now and I think I might invest in an electric toothbrush for sure as I'm a little nervous of damaging something when using my regular brush. I attempted to floss on night one and it's tricky and I was pretty sore. So far the little dental brushes have been all I've been able to use for flossing. Hoping to get into a better routine as I adjust a little bit more. Leaving for a work trip on Monday so hopefully I'll have everything I need. Thankfully I've been sticking with soft foods and plan to on the trip so I'm hoping to avoid any awkward moments at meal time! I have the bite turbo things on my back molars and have not figured out how to chew yet.

The last 3 days have been an emotional disaster though filled with a lot of wanting to get these things out of my mouth, what have I done, and constantly reminding myself it will be worth it in the end. Definitely not feeling like my normal, confident, social self so hoping I can adjust to this new stage!!

NeilH

#12 Post by NeilH »

I bought a Sonicare toothbrush and have been delighted with the results. It was a little expensive but the results have been impressive. I always take an interdental brush with me as you never know when you might want to dislodge a piece of food following an impromptu bite to eat. Good luck.

Woobster

#13 Post by Woobster »

I never really understood what was so special about electric toothbrushes, and probably never would have purchased one on my own. Fortunately, my ortho gives one to every patient when they get their braces on.

I'll be honest... I love that thing! My mouth feels SO clean after I use it. I also use a waterpik that I found on clearance at Target one day. Had it not been so cheap, I wouldn't have bought it. I don't think it's a necessity if you brush and floss really well, but it's really nice to have.

I also have a small bag in my purse where I keep a travel toothbrush and paste, lip balm (a MUST), wax, and interdental brushes.

And don't worry... I think a lot of us have that, "What have I done?!" moment when the braces first go on. But you'll get used to them and used to taking care of them, and your confidence will be back soon!

Good luck to you!!

loradora

#14 Post by loradora »

I found the interdental toothbrushes (the little ones that look a little like a pipecleaner) a necessity, especially after eating pork.

Sailrgrl

#15 Post by Sailrgrl »

I highly recommend a Sonicare toothbrush. I've been using mine for many years and my teeth just don't feel as clean after brushing with a manual brush (I brush after lunch sometimes). Sonicare packs easily for traveling and holds a charge for over a week so you don't need to bring the charger/base with you unless you're going to be away longer than that.

I always carry floss, wax, lip balm, proxabrush, and toothbrush/paste with me. I have a little kit in my desk and in my car.
Damon clear on top placed May 30, 2013. Damon metal on bottom placed September 16, 2013.