Eating in braces....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jb1231

Eating in braces....

#1 Post by jb1231 »

I got my braces applied on February 17th. So it's been a month...
Damon system.

Of course the first week I was very sore! Tried to stick with soft foods.

But there are certain foods that literally hurt to eat, such as most sandwiches. I'm such a sandwich person, too! I'm assuming this is normal, but has anyone else felt similar? Not even hard crusts. It was difficult for me to eat a wrap recently. So I've been cutting my sandwiches into bites and eat it that way.

My husband who had traditional braces when he was young said he ate whatever he wanted, though, I think my teeth are worse and more crowded.

sirwired

Re: Eating in braces....

#2 Post by sirwired »

Judging from the stories posted here, pain after an entire month does seem a bit outside the norm. Most people are eating just about anything (except the forbidden foods like apples, corn on the cob, etc.) by that point.

beckyboo0205

#3 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Ughh wraps... wraps are the worst! It is hard to bite into a wrap sandwich so you aren't alone. It doesn't hurt anymore but it was definitely hard. It'll get better.

You ARE only a month in so it'll get better and easier. But good job for trying! I tried not to baby my teeth either and started trying to eat with my front teeth early.

And about your husband with braces when he was younger. I think kids are just... stubborn or crazy or something! I went to a friend's house and they had another set of friends who's son just got top braces that afternoon. We went to the same orthodontist and I had an adjustment that same day (We have a traveling ortho only once a month.) Anyhow, my teeth felt sore and I struggled to bite into a chip and he was tearing through the chips and ate his burger with no problem. Maybe the soreness just didn't kick in yet but I assure you that my first meal with braces was definitely not a hamburger!

nikkibabie19

#4 Post by nikkibabie19 »

Since getting braces I stop biting directly into any and all foods. Except maybe a banana.

You never realize how "hard" bread crust really is until well u get braces.

So wraps and subs even burgers I jus cut or break into chewable sizes in order to eat them. It cud get messy. But its doable.

When u reach eating with hawley retainers...u'll realize how eating in bracers wasn't that bad.lol

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

rowo

#5 Post by rowo »

I had difficulty eating sandwiches for many months, without tearing them into bite size pieces and maneuvering them to my back teeth (front teeth were tender for a long time cos I had my upper canines extracted, and those teeth were moving the most). I can now bite into a sandwich with soft filling. Wraps are just impossible even now. But my case may be different, as my teeth are getting prepped for surgery.

Matilda

#6 Post by Matilda »

nikkibabie19 wrote:Since getting braces I stop biting directly into any and all foods. Except maybe a banana.
The same goes for me.

drbucky

#7 Post by drbucky »

I think it varies by individual. I remember losing a lot of weight in the first couple of months simply because I couldn't eat much. My teeth have been tender quite a lot throughout the whole process. They have moved pretty quickly so I take the soreness as a good sign of progress! :)

JillD

#8 Post by JillD »

I didn't dare to bite into anything except bananas like some of you, so I cannot comment if it is natural to feel sore when you bit into sandwiches.

But... do you trust your DH's memory? My DH told me that he ate anything he wanted when he had braces and he didn't have pain, blah blah. I think it is because pain from braces are so forgettable. My own memory of brace pain is fading. I think I will say soon I didn't have any pain while I was in braces.

netgringo

#9 Post by netgringo »

Coincidentally I got braces on Feb 19 so we're almost exactly at the same point. I can't bite into sandwiches or burritos yet. I have to cut them or break them up. One reason is that a little soreness remains, even back in the molars areas, and that soreness seems to switch sides occasionally. But another reason is that my archwire skips a few teeth that are currently a little too far back. I have two coil springs up top and a longish stretch of wire on bottom, so I'm not comfortable biting into very many things that might damage those.

WiredOldLady

#10 Post by WiredOldLady »

I've just now been able to start eating pizza and hamburgers. I really don't like eating sandwiches because the bread gets all gooey and in all my wires. I STILL can't bite into burritos or tacos :(

Oh well...roughly 10 months to go...
Braces off on 8/26/14 after a year!

ilovedexter

#11 Post by ilovedexter »

I'm only a week and a half into my journey but I can't bite into even a sandwich with my front teeth. It doesn't hurt anymore but it just feels very weird.

kathydell

#12 Post by kathydell »

I'm a year in and I still won't eat sandwiches in public because it's just plain gross. Other than that, I eat just about anything no problem. My ortho said trying to continue eating normally (except for the forbidden foods) would actually help me. She said that chewing with the braces helps progress. I'm sore for about 48 hours after an adjustment and take it a little easy then, but steak, pork chops, etc. come right back as quickly as I can buck up and work through it.

djspeece

#13 Post by djspeece »

WiredOldLady wrote:I've just now been able to start eating pizza and hamburgers. I really don't like eating sandwiches because the bread gets all gooey and in all my wires. I STILL can't bite into burritos or tacos :(

Oh well...roughly 10 months to go...
I've developed a high tolerance to disgusting food particles lodged temporarily here and there.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

kimbot

#14 Post by kimbot »

Best advice I got from an adult brace wearer right befor eI got mine, "Chew through the pain." I'm self conscious when I eat sandwiches and such in public too, but even when my teeth are sore I try to eat "normal" foods and get through the pain. It does get easier!

JillD

#15 Post by JillD »

The reason why I didn't bite into anything with my front teeth was not because of pain. I was just concerned that I might damage my braces. I am glad that I didn't cause any damage and didn't need to make an emergency visit to my orhto during my treatment.