Wire over missing teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Beckley816

Wire over missing teeth

#1 Post by Beckley816 »

I am missing an upper premolar and molar (right next to each other) on my upper left side of my mouth so there is just the wire going across that missing area from the teeth in front and back of it. So 2 weeks ago my cheek started getting really irritated. It looks and feels as though my cheek tissue is trying to form around the wire when my mouth is closed. Does that even make sense? Lol. My wire is then literally digging into my cheek and my cheek tissue is bulging around the wire. It's been 2 weeks now and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I try to put wax around the wire at night which is really freaking difficult!

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?! I just want it to go away :(

boodles8

Re: Wire over missing teeth

#2 Post by boodles8 »

Yeah...and I never figured out a solution. I still deal with it. Although as time has gone by it doesn't get sore like it did. Maybe my cheeks got callused?
Boodles8

Braced July, 2012
BSSO August, 2013
Debraced October 2, 2014

rowo

#3 Post by rowo »

I had that issue, but now that my gaps have closed up the problem has gone away. All I can suggest is to apply wax every night, and to keep hydrated so as to stop your mouth from getting dry and your flesh sticking to the wire.

catwanabee

#4 Post by catwanabee »

What my ortho did was heating up the end of the wire and making a bend so even if it touched my cheek through movement it would not be sharp.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46203
In Ovation-C Braces
Braced on Dec 2013 for 24 Months

Tobilei

#5 Post by Tobilei »

I have a tooth missing (needing an implant or something) and the pain never went away. My ortho put a little silicone tube around the wire between those 2 teeth and I haven't had a problem since :)

Beckley816

#6 Post by Beckley816 »

Tobilei wrote:I have a tooth missing (needing an implant or something) and the pain never went away. My ortho put a little silicone tube around the wire between those 2 teeth and I haven't had a problem since :)
Oh my gosh tobilei!, I am so going to call and ask them about that. I've just had enough of it and had a complete breakdown last night over it (that and the pain I'm still experiencing from my adjustment Thursday) -I'm so dramatic lol.

Thank you thank you! Calling them Monday!

anedia

#7 Post by anedia »

Yes, I am missing a premolar on the left side. It's gotten a lot better recently (about 5 months in) but I had to just take a lot of silicone wax and cover up the wire. It definitely helped.
First Consultation: July 16th, 2013
Second Consultation: August 21st, 2013
Extractions (Wisdom + baby tooth): August 22nd, 2013
Brace Date: September 4th, 2013
First Adjustment: October 18th, 2013.

kathydell

#8 Post by kathydell »

In addition to the wax, I used "Kanka softbrush gel" in the spot where my cheek was irritated. It helps a lot with short-term discomfort related to wire pokes and elastics irritation and helps them heal a little faster than untreated.