Loose teeth and debracing help!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sita

Loose teeth and debracing help!

#1 Post by Sita »

Hi all

Had fixed braces for just over two years now. Teeth are pretty much done and the braces will be coming off soon (yay).

Here is my concern... One of my molars is very loose. It wibbles and wobbles quite a bit, even with the braces still on. Yes, loose teeth is normal in the early stages, I know, but not so much where I am in treatment. I am quite concerned about what will happen when they go to take the bracket off. There is a delightful image in my brain that I can't quite shake of the dental therapist screaming in shock when she pulls a tooth out with the bracket. And then I scream and then the ortho screams and then I scream again before passing out in shock. I really don't want that to happen.

I am guessing that root resorption is a possibility here since all other teeth have settled down and stopped moving around. I will of course be discussing this with my orthodontist prior to debracing, but what I am wanting to know is if anyone here has any knowledge or experiences to share with me here. Were your teeth not quite steady when debraced? Did you end up with root resorption? What happens with treatment if resorption has occured? I have been trying to google for answers, but honestly google is a scary thing when you don't know what to search for. Most sites just say the tooth will have to come out.

So um.... help?

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

Mylovedtheeth

Re: Loose teeth and debracing help!

#2 Post by Mylovedtheeth »

Witch molar exactly are you writing. If this molar was extruded to achieve right occlusion it might be loose, root resorption is unlikely, orthodontic caused root resorption usually concerns incisors.
I'm debraced after 2 rears and 1 weak of treatment.

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

Major problems with your roots or supporting bone show up like a shining beacon on dental x-rays; if you've had bitewings or a panorex taken during treatment, it's quite easy to spot.

I don't think it's unusual for the ligaments that tie teeth into the jaw to take a while to tighten back up. In addition, the degree of deflection is often a lot less than it feels.

Sita

#4 Post by Sita »

It is the right third lower molar from the back. I have no idea what number it is or what it is called. The treatment of my lower teeth involved dragging my molars and canines forward to close a 6-8mm gap either side. It has taken well over 18 months of treatment for them to move as they were very stubborn. However all the teeth seem to have settled down except that one which visibly moves. It's a little creepy and scary to see at this stage of treatment. I don't know whether or not I will be having x-rays though I think that is part of the process with my ortho.

Thanks for the replies.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.