A very strange permanent retainer

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

packersfan

A very strange permanent retainer

#1 Post by packersfan »

I am finishing a phd at a large school, was riding on their bus and was talking to another girl on there. As she yawned, I saw what I thought were lingual braces behind her top teeth and told her I was getting braces soon and if those were linguals, and she said "no, that is my permanent top retainer". It looked like braces, with brackets behind her top 6 teeth. I have only seen permanent retainers that were bars with glue.

Does anyone know more of this type of retainer and what the style is called, I would hate to need one of these, but would like to understand more about the reason behind one.

Julia.

chichi

Re: A very strange permanent retainer

#2 Post by chichi »

That must've been a huge yawn for you to see the backs of her top teeth.

Are you sure it was brackets? My ortho uses permanent retainers that are glued to each tooth instead of the bar that's just glued to the canines. Perhaps you saw that it was attached to each tooth and your mind decided it looked like braces?
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

packersfan

#3 Post by packersfan »

Big yawn and the angle I was at helped. I have seen the ones with glue dots on every tooth but this was metal

chichi

#4 Post by chichi »

In that case, that is a strange retainer :wink:
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

packersfan

#5 Post by packersfan »

After digging around on google, I found this is close to what I saw. Does anyone have this style of retainer and could tell more about it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.