Anyone here Dip Snuff

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

packersfan

Anyone here Dip Snuff

#1 Post by packersfan »

I mentioned this on another post, but I did something stupid in High School when hanging with the country boys and tried snuff and liked it. I want to stop, but it will take time, and I am looking at braces and invisalign soon. I would consider lingual. While I start treatment, which would be best to dip in and what style of it for braces or invisalign. Please don't judge, I need my teeth straightened sooner than later and hopefully by the end stop dipping. I don't care about staining.

Thanks

Julia

sirwired

Re: Anyone here Dip Snuff

#2 Post by sirwired »

Given that invisilign must be in for so much of the day to work properly, and your teeth brushed after every single meal, I don't think that'll be an option, as I imagine you'd need to remove the aligners, do your thing, and brush before putting the aligner back in... too much out-of-mouth time.

And I know you say you "don't care about staining", any staining you currently have would certainly be much worse with conventional braces. (and ceramics would definitely not be an option.)

That leaves lingual braces, as you mentioned. I don't see any inherent reason why they wouldn't work (as long as any stringy tobacco bits stay away from your archwire; don't see why that wouldn't be possible), but certainly dip does no favors for your gums so your ortho is going to have to evaluate your gum tissue before he/she will agree to start treatment.

This may be an excellent time to switch over to another form of nicotine delivery such as e-cigs or the patch; it will open up a lot more options, braces-wise. Linguals are certainly no fun, with problems with tongue irritation and speech that have to be overcome, not to mention the fact that no ortho does a huge number of them.

Nozzelnut

#3 Post by Nozzelnut »

Guessing something like bandits would work the easiest; I'm going to be in the same boat in a couple weeks.

I might try the patch, ecig, or lozenges and get off tobacco completely.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

packersfan

#4 Post by packersfan »

My dentist knows I dip, being a lady I am embarrassed I dip and would rather an orthodontist not know. My dentist said my gums are fine. If I wore each Invisalign tray 3
Weeks instead of two would that help?

sirwired

#5 Post by sirwired »

FWIW, the Invisilgn website says they must be worn 20-22 hours a day to work properly.

And I don't think you'll be able to hide your habit from your ortho; I'm pretty sure dip leaves a specific type of staining and pretty obvious evidence on your gums, even if they are healthy.

packersfan

#6 Post by packersfan »

I always thought it was the amount of total time one wore the aligners, so 22 hours X 14 days, or 17 hours X 21 days.

Anyone in treatment or completed treatment use dip?

sirwired

#7 Post by sirwired »

Relapse occurs at a MUCH faster rate than progress. Not sure how universal this is but I saw a 3:1 ratio quoted before.