Debraced! And a retainer question!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

furious george

Debraced! And a retainer question!

#1 Post by furious george »

So I just got debraced yesterday! Woohoo! I can't believe braces are finally behind me!

Here is the before and after, sorry about the quality. Please note that my left central incisor is a crown, which is why there is some discrepancy in my front teeth. I'm thrilled with the result, I never thought my teeth would look so nice!

Now here's the interesting part...I've been debraced for a day, and my teeth are already shifting. I have a hairline gap between my two front teeth that wasn't there yesterday. I don't have an appointment to get my retainer for two weeks! I mean, what the heck are my teeth going to look like in two weeks? I'm trying to call to hopefully schedule an appointment when they have a cancellation, but what is involved with the appointment? I mean, is there fitting involved? If I can just swing by and pick it up, I'll do it tomorrow. Because YIKES! I'M FREAKING OUT HERE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Female, Age 37
Braced: 6/13/12
GAC In-Ovation C Top, Metal Bottom
Initial Estimated sentence: 12-14 months
SENTENCE EXTENDED: 18 months

redwine

Re: Debraced! And a retainer question!

#2 Post by redwine »

Can't help you with question except to say that if braces can move teeth quickly, surely the retainer can do something as well? In any case, congratulations! Your teeth look amazing! (Does it feel weird?)

furious george

#3 Post by furious george »

It feels fantastic! Nothing poking or scraping. Nothing getting stuck when I eat. No brackets distorting my mouth. No worrying about what I eat staining my chains. Plus my teeth just look NICE. After a while your braces just become part of your identity and I just figured I'd feel the same with nicer teeth when they came off. But I actually feel prettier!

Those pictures don't do the changes justice, FYI. I had huge gaps between my lateral incisors and canines, major overbite AND overjet and janky bottom teeth too.
Female, Age 37
Braced: 6/13/12
GAC In-Ovation C Top, Metal Bottom
Initial Estimated sentence: 12-14 months
SENTENCE EXTENDED: 18 months

MrsCharisma

#4 Post by MrsCharisma »

Beautiful! Congrats!!

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

DaisySmith

#5 Post by DaisySmith »

Your teeth look lovely, congratulations! Sorry don't have anything helpful to say about the other thing but had to comment on your wonderful smile :D

mcb012

#6 Post by mcb012 »

Congratulations!

sirwired

#7 Post by sirwired »

You'll only be able to bump up your retainer appt. so much. Assuming you are going to be fitted with a Hawley and/or bonded retainer, that has to be sent out to a dental lab, who will fabricate it and send it back to your ortho. Retainer construction takes a lot of skill, and it's not a skill it makes sense for an ortho to have in-house. Once the retainer arrives, fitting only takes a few minutes.

Since your new retainer will be fitted to what your teeth were on de-bracing day, they should do some scooting of their own.

Matilda

#8 Post by Matilda »

Congratulations on your new smile!

TheKT

#9 Post by TheKT »

They look incredible. Congrats!

djspeece

#10 Post by djspeece »

You look great, congratulations!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

roxie2519

#11 Post by roxie2519 »

Omg I'm jealous lol. Don't worry , as you start wearing your retainers your teeth will close up again.

KatrinkaNoir

#12 Post by KatrinkaNoir »

Congratulations, they look great! :jump:

Featheryy1221

#13 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Your teeth look amazing! :) congrats!

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

Tobilei

#14 Post by Tobilei »

They look wonderful! Congratulations! I have a week between getting debraced and picking up my retainers, however in the meantime I will have permanent fixed retainers top and bottom. I'm worried about things moving too!