Brackets on second molars

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

msw

Brackets on second molars

#1 Post by msw »

At my last appointment, my orthodontist said I would be getting my second molars bonded at the next appointment, which is in 2 days. This is surprising to me, because I didn't think brackets on second molars were all that common, and I'm already 3.5 months into treatment. I don't think he'll be doing molar bands, because he didn't put spacers in, and my first molars are bracketed, not banded (I have Damons, btw). Did anyone else have to get their second molars bracketed/banded once they had already started treatment? Did the orthodontist offer an explanation as to why that needed to be done? Mine didn't offer any explanation, and I didn't think to ask.

I also have a feeling I could be moving to rectangular wires - I've been in .018s on top and bottom for the past 10 weeks - and that I could be getting elastics. Adjustment #3 - and the 5-10 days following it - could be a real doozie, y'all.

sirwired

Re: Brackets on second molars

#2 Post by sirwired »

I believe most (though not all, certainly) people have their 2nd molars bracketed. However, it's not uncommon to either not bracket or not use the 2nd molar right away as it's anchorage is often not needed during the first stage of treatment.

beachmini

#3 Post by beachmini »

When my ortho assistant knocked off the bracket on one of my top first molars, the ortho didn't even think about replacing it. It is a porcelain crown, and I guess too much trouble for not enough return. But when I knocked off a bracket on my bottom second molar, they were super quick to put it back on. It is interesting to me to see how different levels of importance can be put on each tooth.

nellarmonia

#4 Post by nellarmonia »

My 2nd molars weren't bracketed until about 3-4 months in. I can't remember which appointment it was. My ortho just said "We have work to do in the front first" when I first got the braces on. I didn't ask any further. I have bands on my 1st molars. I definitely had to adjust to eating again because I had trained myself to chew on those way back molars in that short time.

Good luck on Tuesday!

chichi

#5 Post by chichi »

The Damon system uses brackets with buccal tubes on the molars instead of molar bands. Mine have been braced since day 1, but they weren't attached to the archwire until later.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Matilda

#6 Post by Matilda »

I think they're pretty common. My second molars were bracketed when I was a few months into treatment already.

msw

#7 Post by msw »

THanks for the feedback, yall. I guess having the second molars bracketed/banded is more common than I thought it was. And, hey, I guess that means we'll be moving into the next phase of treatment, which is AWESOME.

However.... I can't shake the anxiety about the appointment this afternoon. I'm not so nervous about the second molars getting bracketed, but I'm very nervous about the possibility - inevitability, really - of elastics. I feel like I'm just to the point of being comfortable with my braces and not self-conscious. I feel like the elastics will add a whole new level of awkwardness.

My appointment is at 2 this afternoon. I would really appreciate some encouragement... :|

chichi

#8 Post by chichi »

msw wrote:THanks for the feedback, yall. I guess having the second molars bracketed/banded is more common than I thought it was. And, hey, I guess that means we'll be moving into the next phase of treatment, which is AWESOME.

However.... I can't shake the anxiety about the appointment this afternoon. I'm not so nervous about the second molars getting bracketed, but I'm very nervous about the possibility - inevitability, really - of elastics. I feel like I'm just to the point of being comfortable with my braces and not self-conscious. I feel like the elastics will add a whole new level of awkwardness.

My appointment is at 2 this afternoon. I would really appreciate some encouragement... :|
Elastics suck. There's your encouragement :wink:

Seriously though, elastics aren't that bad. They can be a pain, but I have been wearing them 24/7 since mid-October and only take them out to eat and brush. They're just part of the braces experience and you'll get used to them in no time - a week, tops.

You'll do great today and always remember that elastics are part of the process. The better you are about wearing them, the sooner you'll be out of braces :)

msw

#9 Post by msw »

So, no elastics yet. But my second molars are indeed bracketed. We stepped up the wire from a .018 to a .020.... .020!!! I didn't even know round wires came in that size! It's huge! I can feel the pressure already. I'll be moving up to rectangular wires in 6 weeks... that is, if I can make it 6 weeks without ripping these things out of my mouth.....

TheKT

#10 Post by TheKT »

My molars Re bracketed, I have Damon's and one isn't "wired up/attached" yet. I have had rubber bands since day one and my sentence is 24/7. Don't love them but they are easier to manage than the bite turbos.

kids041

#11 Post by kids041 »

chichi wrote:The Damon system uses brackets with buccal tubes on the molars instead of molar bands. Mine have been braced since day 1, but they weren't attached to the archwire until later.
That is exactly how mine are. I did not have wires attached to them until 8 weeks in, on the top, on the bottom it was almost 5 months.

anedia

#12 Post by anedia »

I got brackets on all my second molars when the braces went on. The wire didn't actually extend to them until my 2nd adjustment though.

However, I do now have molar bands on both top 2nd molars because the brackets wouldn't stay on.
First Consultation: July 16th, 2013
Second Consultation: August 21st, 2013
Extractions (Wisdom + baby tooth): August 22nd, 2013
Brace Date: September 4th, 2013
First Adjustment: October 18th, 2013.

JumpTheDitch

#13 Post by JumpTheDitch »

With my first lot of braces I had a second lot of bands on my second molars. It was some months in, I can't remember how many. No one ever mentioned brackets as an alternative, I just was told to arrive for a spacer-application appointment the week beforehand. I think it was to provide more anchorage to retract the uppers into the extracted bicuspid spaces, without pulling the molars behind forward. I had elastics also. They weren't so bad. I guess it's fairly common, though it sounds more common that the second molars are bracketed rather than banded.

kids041

#14 Post by kids041 »

I think it really depends on your ortho, and exactly what needs to be done. My ortho does not use molar bands as a "rule of thumb". My daughter and I both have braces, and spacers/bands were never mentioned. (thankfully)

chichi

#15 Post by chichi »

kids041 wrote:I think it really depends on your ortho, and exactly what needs to be done. My ortho does not use molar bands as a "rule of thumb". My daughter and I both have braces, and spacers/bands were never mentioned. (thankfully)
Mine is the same. He called the bands "torture devices" and said he doesn't use them on any of his patients anymore.