Brackets on second molars

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Orwellian

Re: Brackets on second molars

#16 Post by Orwellian »

My second molars are just barely coming in, I sought my 2nds will be involved in treatment until later. Maybe even never!
Sentence:18 months
Full metal braces
Consultation: January 15, 2014
Bonding: March 4, 2014
1st adjustment: ?
My Story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=46420

Ciara

#17 Post by Ciara »

chichi wrote:
kids041 wrote:I think it really depends on your ortho, and exactly what needs to be done. My ortho does not use molar bands as a "rule of thumb". My daughter and I both have braces, and spacers/bands were never mentioned. (thankfully)
Mine is the same. He called the bands "torture devices" and said he doesn't use them on any of his patients anymore.
I have molar bands on my 1st molars (due to having porcelain fillings) and the bands have not been painful at all. I haven't noticed them or had any problems with them since they were put on about a year ago. Certainly not torture devices for me.

Yes, I have brackets (not molar bands) on my 2nd molars - on my upper jaw, they were put on about 4 months later than the rest but on my lower jaw, i had brackets placed on all teeth at the same time

vampirefangs22

#18 Post by vampirefangs22 »

I got my lower 2nd molar bands a few days ago, although I'm surprised it was done so late into treatment. I still haven't gotten the upper ones yet though.

Lower braces - Halloween 2019
Upper braces - January 9th, 2020
Debonded since May 4th, 2023

trifecta

#19 Post by trifecta »

Hi Vampirefangs, I hope your frustration with braces and wanting to remove them early has passed.
I have my second molars bonded with a tube bracket. It was placed about 6 months into treatment.
Last time in braces the second molars were bonded right from the start. Not sure if that is what
caused the anterior open bite mid treatment. Best of luck! Hopefully the end is near.