So no one was able to talk me out of it...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tqz

So no one was able to talk me out of it...

#1 Post by Tqz »

I finally did it. The tops are on.

I can say that it is NOTHING like what I thought it would be. But it's not as bad as I thought it would be either.

They feel tight, more scratchy than anything else. The tightness has nothing over the scratchyness.

No one has seen them yet, but I'm scared to see reactions.

But here is the kicker. Now that I have them on, and they make my bite problems more obvious, I am already coming to some sort of closure or acceptance. At first I was reluctant to get them because I wasn't so sure I "really" needed them... As in, I could live with what I have, right? Well now I can't wait to make progress.

So with that being said, I feel like it really isn't gonna matter what people think, cause now I see how bad my teeth really were. And now they are gonna be perfect.

Of course I say that now.... Let's wait to see how others react. And how sore I am in a few days.

I do want to know now how long until I forget about them.

Matilda

Re: So no one was able to talk me out of it...

#2 Post by Matilda »

Yay! Congratulations!

mapleleafman888

#3 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Tqz that's awesome!!!! I remember last summer you were one of the first people who I spoke with on here about braces. I'm glad you got your braces at last!!!!

You'll do well, the first 1-2 weeks are the hardest pain wise, it gets then it gets better after that. Hang in there and eat soft foods and use wax.

And really, it doesn't matter what some folks would think...honestly I've had braces for over 5 months and no one ever has said anything negative. The people who ask about 'em are usually the ones who have had braces or want to get them themselves. Braces are common and a good percentage of the population has had them, stay confident about your decision.

Good luck, please keep us all updated! :jump:
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

beckyboo0205

#4 Post by beckyboo0205 »

YAY! Congrats!

I bet most people won't even give much of a reaction. Just have confidence with them! Once you start seeing progress, you'll start feeling even better about them! (Though, just know that they might look a little worse before they look better!)

millersgirl

#5 Post by millersgirl »

Yay! Good for you! You will not even notice they're there in a week or so.
Advice, don't be a tough guy, use the wax!! ...just remember to remove it before eating otherwise you will swallow it. I ate a lot of wax at first.

DaisySmith

#6 Post by DaisySmith »

Congratulations, it will all be worth it. I really agree about the wax. Use it, use it, use it. Eventually your mouth will get used to the brackets and toughen up and things won't always be so scratchy. Good luck on your journey!

jamie vs

#7 Post by jamie vs »

Congratulations, you should get used to them very quickly after a couple/few weeks. You wouldn't worry too much about people's reactions. For the most part mine aren't exactly visible since they are clear but when people do notice or I show them that I am wearing braces, they seem to hide their teeth if they also need braces but haven never gotten them. I think it's due to seeing that you are on your way to a perfect smile while they haven't done anything to fix theirs. Kind of makes someone without braces who needs them feel guilty. That's usually the reaction I get.

kathydell

#8 Post by kathydell »

Yeah! I'm so glad you took the plunge. The first couple weeks will be a challenge but you'll get used to it. And, it doesn't feel like it in the beginning but try not to let the length of the journey scare you. It feels very overwhelming sometimes but I will guarantee that it goes by faster than you would ever imagine. I can't believe I am approaching the "birthday" of my braces shortly. It feels like yesterday that I got drunk the night before getting them on because I was afraid of what I'd look like at 47! We're all here to help if you have questions or get frustrated.

djspeece

#9 Post by djspeece »

OMG what were you thinking?
Just kidding.
I still get puzzled looks from time to time. I just assume people are thinking why such a good-looking guy would need braces. :roll: . Most people really don't seem to care. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Lorianne

#10 Post by Lorianne »

awesome, congrats! that scratchiness lasts a couple/few weeks but definitely goes away as you get used to the feeling. I hated that at first. I worried about what people would think for years, but once I got them, I really didn't care. I guess once you make the commitment to yourself, you are all that really counts.

SoCalUniveristyLed

#11 Post by SoCalUniveristyLed »

I'd say it took just a month before I finally forgot about them. Initially they felt huge! But now, to be honest, I've kind of gotten attached to them in w weird way lol. I was so terrified of getting braces as an adult, bit people are so understanding. Hey, a lot had their braces as a teen...imagine what they felt then lol.

I actually reared up a lil thinking that they'll be off in a couple months. They have actually given me the courage to smile more than I ever had before them. Although my teeth were pretty straight, I showed a lot of gum so was very very self conscious about my smile. Crazy that I would smile more with braces on!

Last thing...I was really self conscious about eating in front of others with braces on initially because I was afraid food would get stuck and I wouldn't know, but you learn to eat with them on really quick :D

Tqz

#12 Post by Tqz »

So... They don't really fee huge in my mouth. Nothing I can't overcome there. The scratchiness is on and off, and the occasional dull pain. They don't really feel tight. Just tender.

I can't bight down all of the way, because a molar band won't allow me to. With that being said, if I can't bight down, I wish I could go ahead and get the bottom braces on. Weird I guess, but let's go full bore, I already took the plunge.

The only people who have bothered me about it, are the people at work. I'm on day two, and some people won't drop it. They keep asking me about them. And joking about them. Now I'm not going to lie, I thought I would be much more conscious, but I'm not. I just want everyone to drop it.

On the flip side. I get a bit more weirded out when someone DOESN'T notice. Never thought I would say that.

So really, the only thing that hurts... Is my ego.

I still can't get over the fact of how uneven the wire is. My teeth are worse than I had originally thought.

jamie vs

#13 Post by jamie vs »

[quote="Tqz"]So... They don't really fee huge in my mouth. Nothing I can't overcome there. The scratchiness is on and off, and the occasional dull pain. They don't really feel tight. Just tender.

I can't bight down all of the way, because a molar band won't allow me to. With that being said, if I can't bight down, I wish I could go ahead and get the bottom braces on. Weird I guess, but let's go full bore, I already took the plunge.

The only people who have bothered me about it, are the people at work. I'm on day two, and some people won't drop it. They keep asking me about them. And joking about them. Now I'm not going to lie, I thought I would be much more conscious, but I'm not. I just want everyone to drop it.

On the flip side. I get a bit more weirded out when someone DOESN'T notice. Never thought I would say that.

So really, the only thing that hurts... Is my ego.

I still can't get over the fact of how uneven the wire is. My teeth are worse than I had originally thought.[/quote]

I haven't had anyone make any fuss whatsoever in the 7 months with braces but some ppl are immature. Just own it so they'll drop it. If they get a reaction from you they might not let it go so easily coz it's fun for them. If someone is overdoing it just turn around, smile, and and say "show me your teeth" to switch the table around on them. Hopefully they won't have perfect teeth and will quit bugging you. Don't get your ego down either, just think about what your teeth will look like when you're done with your treatment ;)

ljms

#14 Post by ljms »

Tqz wrote: The only people who have bothered me about it, are the people at work. I'm on day two, and some people won't drop it. They keep asking me about them. And joking about them. Now I'm not going to lie, I thought I would be much more conscious, but I'm not. I just want everyone to drop it.
Your co-workers are immature dorks. Just sayin'.

kathydell

#15 Post by kathydell »

OMG, I remember that squigly wire in the beginning. I thought it looked so awful and it really emphasized how crooked things were. I was really surprised how quick it straightened out though. Orthodontist said I would see huge changes in about two months time and she was right. And, I do still get annoyed myself when people don't notice. I wouldn't think twice about your co-workers. A lot of people ask or get fixated on them either because they're just plain curious, they think you're cool because you did it, or they've even thought about it themselves but never had the courage or made the investment.