Extraction positives, celebrities with extractions!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

she2petite

Re: Extraction positives, celebrities with extractions!

#31 Post by she2petite »

i've read a lot of negative things about extractions but if you already have a really full smile, excessive crowding or protrusion issues then it totally makes sense. i'm still excited about getting extractions next month.

batwing

#32 Post by batwing »

I just got my braces off a week ago. I've had two upper lateral incisors extracted (plus upper jaw surgery.) I'm very pleased with my result!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Central Ossifying Fibroma removed from mandible 3/8/2012, braced 5/24/2012, One piece Le Fort I performed 12/11/2013, debraced 8/26/2014

Ambrosia80

#33 Post by Ambrosia80 »

Sonequa Martin-Green. (Discovered her on the show Once Upon a Time) :BigGrin:

Damon braces- ceramic uppers, metal lowers

sentence: 15-18 months (Sept.-Dec. 2014)

pamboys09

#34 Post by pamboys09 »

both my 2nd biscupids bottom and top was extracted.. i hope i made the right decision :).. thanks for this positive post :)

GameChanger

#35 Post by GameChanger »

This will be helpful as I will most likely have to get my premolars extracted too. I know that my extractioms will take place after my braces are fitted from what my ortho was telling me

Ambrosia80

#36 Post by Ambrosia80 »

Not a celebrity, but an Extraction Positive:

Ambrosia80

#37 Post by Ambrosia80 »

Also not a celebrity, but a friend of mine with a beautiful smile.

The extractions definitely did not take away her full lips.

Ambrosia80

#38 Post by Ambrosia80 »

Heidi Klum (different angles)

PerthGirl26

#39 Post by PerthGirl26 »

I had 4 teeth extracted this week and this thread was extremely reassuring! There are some great examples here (I love Emma Stone!!).

Right now I'm worried about the length of time it will take for the gaps to close but I'm overall excited about the end result due to the extractions alleviating the overcrowding. There's way too much scaremongering on the internet and not enough positivity when it comes to extractions so kudos for starting this thread. :)

lilymouth

#40 Post by lilymouth »

Thanks for the reassuring thread! I'm due 4 premolar extractions, but I keep postponing because there are so many scary stories on the Internet. I know I need it (I have severe crowding that won't magically fix itself), but when all you see are negative comments it really puts you off. I'm sure most people have successful extraction stories, but you only hear about the bad ones!

Hero878

#41 Post by Hero878 »

Anyone got any stories to share about have extractions to correct an overjet? and also turned surgery away?

From reading this forum and others it just seems to me that everyone has opted for surgery and now I am having doubts about my decision...and also getting quite self conscious about my recessed chin.

I had 2 top pre-molars to correct my over jet. Its been 6 months and I am still waiting for the gaps to close.
I have a full lip so I am not that worried about having a sunken lip.

aspiromusings

#42 Post by aspiromusings »

Getting my 2 premolars on the top row removed on the 24th so this is very reassuring, primarily i'm concerned with how long it will take for the gaps to close but I've heard the top row gaps tend to close faster ;)

I can't wait for my prefect smile to kick in!!! in the meantime :GapToothed: :GapToothed: :GapToothed: :GapToothed: :GapToothed: :GapToothed:
Blog - http://aspiroisbraced.blogspot.com/

Top Braces on 20th March 2015

Bottom braces on 28th August 2015

Top premolars extracted 25th April 2015

Debraced 15th December 2017 :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :-*

FoxyFaye25

#43 Post by FoxyFaye25 »

I had two extractions done on 3/23/15 in preparation for braces. They were two baby teeth (yes I am 20 yo) that did not have permanent adult teeth underneath them. They were my second premolars (I think!??!) on the bottom on both sides. Doing this beforehand will allow my orthodontist to move the surrounding teeth in to fill the space. This will also prevent a severe underbite that would develop if I left the baby teeth in and just changed them to white caps. They were capped in silver when I was little and I don't remember why. It also prevents me from needing implants down the road when the roots of the baby teeth would have worn out and I would of needed implants. I think extractions can definitely be for the better and have a positive outcome!

My extractions went well and have been healing awesome! Good luck to those of you still needing to get extractions and as hard as it may be don't be nervous and let them know if you can feel it or are uncomfortable if you are not put under for the procedure. They will definitely help make the process go as smooth as possible!

aspiromusings

#44 Post by aspiromusings »

FoxyFaye25 wrote:I had two extractions done on 3/23/15 in preparation for braces. They were two baby teeth (yes I am 20 yo) that did not have permanent adult teeth underneath them. They were my second premolars (I think!??!) on the bottom on both sides. Doing this beforehand will allow my orthodontist to move the surrounding teeth in to fill the space. This will also prevent a severe underbite that would develop if I left the baby teeth in and just changed them to white caps. They were capped in silver when I was little and I don't remember why. It also prevents me from needing implants down the road when the roots of the baby teeth would have worn out and I would of needed implants. I think extractions can definitely be for the better and have a positive outcome!

My extractions went well and have been healing awesome! Good luck to those of you still needing to get extractions and as hard as it may be don't be nervous and let them know if you can feel it or are uncomfortable if you are not put under for the procedure. They will definitely help make the process go as smooth as possible!
Congrats FoxyFaye! Good to know you're healing allright

Question - how did you clean in the first 24 hours? or did you not? Any other tips handy?
Blog - http://aspiroisbraced.blogspot.com/

Top Braces on 20th March 2015

Bottom braces on 28th August 2015

Top premolars extracted 25th April 2015

Debraced 15th December 2017 :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :-*

FoxyFaye25

#45 Post by FoxyFaye25 »

[quote="aspiromusings"][quote="FoxyFaye25"]I had two extractions done on 3/23/15 in preparation for braces. They were two baby teeth (yes I am 20 yo) that did not have permanent adult teeth underneath them. They were my second premolars (I think!??!) on the bottom on both sides. Doing this beforehand will allow my orthodontist to move the surrounding teeth in to fill the space. This will also prevent a severe underbite that would develop if I left the baby teeth in and just changed them to white caps. They were capped in silver when I was little and I don't remember why. It also prevents me from needing implants down the road when the roots of the baby teeth would have worn out and I would of needed implants. I think extractions can definitely be for the better and have a positive outcome!

My extractions went well and have been healing awesome! Good luck to those of you still needing to get extractions and as hard as it may be don't be nervous and let them know if you can feel it or are uncomfortable if you are not put under for the procedure. They will definitely help make the process go as smooth as possible![/quote]

Congrats FoxyFaye! Good to know you're healing allright

Question - how did you clean in the first 24 hours? or did you not? Any other tips handy?[/quote]

Aspiromusings For the first 12-24 hours I was very careful. I did not rinse my mouth for at least the first 12-24 hours and I only drank liquids but avoid anything with small seeds like smoothies that can get stuck in your extraction site. I advise you to eat before you go so that you are not hungry until after the numbing has worn off because you do not want to chew on your tongue or cheeks on accident. I would also take some tylenol or ibuprofen to have it in your system to avoid pain once the numbing has worn off. After 12-24 hours they told me I could rinse with some warm salt water and could brush my teeth while avoiding the site. The next morning I did softly brush my teeth because I had to go to work but I avoided the extraction site. Something I HIGHLY recommend doing after 24 hours and I wish my dentist would of given me was one of the oral syringes that have the pointed and curved end. However I used a regular syringed from the grocery store and would use it with warm salt water to dislodge food that would get caught in the holes to avoid infection. And do not spit out the water with force, just tip your head and let the water fall out. You do not want dislodge the blood clots in the first 24 hours or so or else you will get dry sockets. As the days progress you can swish and spit with more force just whats comfortable to you. Just do whatever feels comfortable for you. Right after 12 hours I felt the need to rinse with salt water and it also helped soothe the little discomfort I did have.

I did get my spacers in at my orthodontist for my molar bands and expander that same morning, so my other teeth were slightly sore from the spacers and I stayed on a softer liquid diet probably longer than you would need. My teeth I got extracted were also 2 of my main chewing teeth, which I had learned after I got them extracted. So if your teeth are premolars or towards the back of your mouth I would recommend making sure you have some soft foods to eat until your site heals enough and you feel comfortable enough in chewing normally again. It's been a little over 2 weeks since I got them out and I can eat completely normal but have avoided chips and things that could poke the extraction site and cause bleeding still. I have switched from salt water to listerine zero and use that to keep the site clean. I brush almost as normal now just soft over the site which can cause very slight bleeding but I went to the dentist yesterday and he said the site looks great!

Good Luck and don't be nervous! It honestly is not as bad as it seems. The first 24 hours are the worst just getting over the numbing and adjusting to new holes in your mouth! Once 24 hours passes everything else is a breeze!!! (Once I get access to uploading images I will be uploading some images to my story page)