Extraction positives, celebrities with extractions!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Angel21

Re: Extraction positives, celebrities with extractions!

#61 Post by Angel21 »

EmilyTravels

#62 Post by EmilyTravels »

Ah, thanks for the explanation! I see it now. It's amazing how many have extractions, and yes, they look amazing. I had extractions back before I got braces at age 13 (in 1974). That was just how it was done those days. You never heard about palette expansion, and I only knew of one person who had jaw surgery (and she had a severe class 3 situation).

I've never realized or thought of my palette as being narrow until I came here and read posts. Fortunately, I am very petite and have a small face anyway, so I don't think it has been a negative for me. My smile has always been my favorite feature, in fact. :D

kojo

#63 Post by kojo »

i have had a extraction and i was worried because i thought my smile would be narrow. Those images showed I was wrong. thank you guys!

Angel21

#64 Post by Angel21 »

Well Miranda Kerr is nearing her 40s, and Catherina Zeta Jones is almost 50 and they both still look great. Perhaps some people age badly but not everyone would. I don't think it's right for you to use scare tactics like that. I've seen many people who didn't have premolars extracted age very badly also.

PS: Her jaw isn't retruded, it's just a more unflattering photo.

clh5086

#65 Post by clh5086 »

This is so nice to see celebrities with extractions. It helps me feel better because sometimes I get discouraged in my decision making when I see horror stories online. I'm trying to decide and I've been pulled both ways.

entelechy12345

#66 Post by entelechy12345 »

Merryl Streep NOT a positive example of extractions.

She is so beautiful and talentedyou do not notice that she was "dished" in and her face flattened by extractions.

But look at her now that she is older. Her face has unnaturally sunk. Her recession is obvious. She has had her teeth veneered to give some more support for her lips. (Lips thin 3 mm with extractions, and as one ages, since lips shrink even more naturally, the result can be pretty ugly)

She is now using fillers for her flattened cheeks.

Check her photos when she is 15, and just got the braces off. Her face is dished in. Compare to her face form before when she was about 8, and it was not.

Yes, she was massively attractive even with or despite the dished-in look. Extraction/retraction kicks you in the face later when you are 40 or 50. Baby fat in skin is great to make MOST extracted people look pretty good when they are young. You lose 20 percent of the fat in your skin as you age, and extracted people age BADLY. Less bone and tooth support for skin equals more sagging as you age.

Look around at all the sagging faced 50 year olds (small chin, flat face, deep naso-labial folds) with straight "tilted in" teeth, and ask them how many had extractions as kids. Back in Streep's time, Imageercent of all kids in braces got extractions[/img]. This changed when "too many people's faces were flattened" and now the rate is 25%.

I would attach a photo show of Merryl Streep from age 7 to now, but don't know how to add images! you can Google them.

entelechy12345

#67 Post by entelechy12345 »

Angel21 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:35 am You can tell by the molars that are visible, as normally you'll have 2 premolars. The shapes are quite different! Also that last premolar is usually smaller. These celebs look like they have 1 premolar.

^ This might help

Shows how good the results can be as most people wouldn't notice :)
Actually you can notice the difference between a first premolar and a second premolar.

First premolar is LARGER than a second premolar, and has a different number of cusps. If you are picky with your smile, you don't want a small premolar next to a canine, as it looks slightly odd. Plus makes the smile a bit less prominent.

The difference to the smile however most reported: buccal corridors. Dark corners at the end of the smile, if the arch has been narrowed.

Way orthos are avoiding this now is by not retracting close the extraction spaces. It is the retraction that narrows and recessed the arch. The current preferred way to close spaces (although not all orthos do it as more work) is mesialization: closing forward from the molars, using TADS.

entelechy12345

#68 Post by entelechy12345 »

entelechy12345 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:21 am
Angel21 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:35 am You can tell by the molars that are visible, as normally you'll have 2 premolars. The shapes are quite different! Also that last premolar is usually smaller. These celebs look like they have 1 premolar.

^ This might help

Actually you can notice the difference between a first premolar and a second premolar.

First premolar is LARGER than a second premolar, and has a different number of cusps. If you are picky with your smile, you don't want a small premolar next to a canine, as it looks slightly odd. Plus makes the smile a bit less prominent.

The difference to the smile however most reported: buccal corridors. Dark corners at the end of the smile, if the arch has been narrowed.

Way orthos are avoiding this now is by not retracting close the extraction spaces. It is the retraction that narrows and recessed the arch. The current preferred way to close spaces (although not all orthos do it as more work) is mesialization: closing forward from the molars, using TADS.
The most important issue with premolar extraction is NOT aesthetics. It is function. You have researched the function of premolars? They work in pair of two. They break down the food for the molars. You need two premolars on each side of the arch, as each is designed differently to function with the other. Without their partner, the premolar cannot function well, so other teeth have to help out and teeth over the years will be more worn down. Plenty of extraction people in my generation now needing lots of crowns, and also reporting less chewing ability. When you;re young nne of this stuff matters, but when people get older, some people miss those teeth. I need 60,000 dollars of restoration for all my teeth, at age 48.

entelechy12345

#69 Post by entelechy12345 »

It is crazy that orthodontists and dentists--who know all this stuff about premolars (they tell me NOW that my teeth are worn down)---don't ever tell patients anything about the necessity to have premolars, when they pull them out. Afterwards, charging thousands of dollars to crown and cap the teeth, they all cluck their tongue and say, "oh yeah, this is normal you are worn down, you have 4 premolars extracted" as if it is MY fault that I had this done.

Read a first year dental book and it is all in there.

Angel21

#70 Post by Angel21 »

entelechy12345 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:27 am It is crazy that orthodontists and dentists--who know all this stuff about premolars (they tell me NOW that my teeth are worn down)---don't ever tell patients anything about the necessity to have premolars, when they pull them out. Afterwards, charging thousands of dollars to crown and cap the teeth, they all cluck their tongue and say, "oh yeah, this is normal you are worn down, you have 4 premolars extracted" as if it is MY fault that I had this done.

Read a first year dental book and it is all in there.
I realise you're having a difficult time and extractions were not the best solution for you, but this thread was made to focus on the positives. There are plenty of other topics against having premolar extractions, and you're welcome to make your own. For some people, extractions are a good treatment option, and do not have a significant impact on their appearance and oral health in the future. Assessment should always be made on a case by case basis. For me, the choice was either jaw surgery or extractions. I consulted with a number of clinicians and most agreed surgery wasn't necessary. I know others who had this surgery and suffered with complications and long term effects from it, so the alternative path isn't always ideal either.

Aging WILL change your cheeks, lips, etc, regardless. Sure, most people will probably look better as they age with as many teeth in their mouths as possible, but it's not always as significant of an impact for everyone. And actually, some people can look better for it. I don't think my face will have that sunken look when I get older, though I've always had full cheeks. I'm sure if we asked every person who had extractions whether or not they regretted it, the majority will be glad they had them.

You say to compare Meryl Streep's face from age 7 until now, but how can you really assess this when she was a very small child? You cannot say for certain that the extractions are the reason she's having these treatments at her age. She's in her 70s! If she's having fillers, I'm sure she'd have had them regardless of whether or not she had extractions.
entelechy12345 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:21 am

^ This might help

I did say the shapes are different, and that the last/second premolar is usually smaller, so I'm not sure why you're repeating and trying to correct something I had already said?
Lots of people have small premolars that are the same size, and it doesn't look odd beside their canine.

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you're facing. I'm sure these days people are giving more thought into extractions, but sometimes these comments just scare people and put them off having any treatment at all. I feel like if it was that detrimental, dentists wouldn't be doing them at all.

Surprised this thread is still going, I made it almost 10 years ago now...

djspeece

#71 Post by djspeece »

Angel21, well said.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying