Closing extraction gaps create gaps between other teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

candle1112

Closing extraction gaps create gaps between other teeth?

#1 Post by candle1112 »

I had both my premolars extracted about a month ago on the bottom of my mouth (the ones right next to the bottom canines). I have power chains across the gaps now. I can't figure out if they will bring the molars forward or the canines back or both to close the gap? Also, how in the world is my orthodontist going to close 6-8mm gaps without creating unwanted space between all my bottom front teeth?
As my kids say, "I don't get it."

JillD

Re: Closing extraction gaps create gaps between other teeth

#2 Post by JillD »

Didn't you have extractions because your teeth were crowed?

SunshineRay

#3 Post by SunshineRay »

I had molar extractions and powerchains to move teeth back. It has created spaces for me and yesterday I got powerchains on the next teeth since the back teeth are all closed now. The gaps arent horrible....you cant see them unless you are close but they are there.

candle1112

#4 Post by candle1112 »

JillD wrote:Didn't you have extractions because your teeth were crowed?
I got extractions because my bottom teeth were a little crowded on the bottom but not horribly so -- It was really only those 2 pesky bicuspids that were crowding. But in order to move my lower jaw forward to fix my overbite with jaw surgery, they needed those 2 bottom bicuspids out out to create more of an overbite pre-surgery so they could move my jaw forward as much as possible during surgery. So now I have the extraction gaps, but the other teeth aren't crowded at all so I think I'm going to end up with space between all my bottom teeth unfortunately as they close the gap.

jessicachung

#5 Post by jessicachung »

[quote="candle1112"][quote="JillD"]Didn't you have extractions because your teeth were crowed?[/quote]

I got extractions because my bottom teeth were a little crowded on the bottom but not horribly so -- It was really only those 2 pesky bicuspids that were crowding. But in order to move my lower jaw forward to fix my overbite with jaw surgery, they needed those 2 bottom bicuspids out out to create more of an overbite pre-surgery so they could move my jaw forward as much as possible during surgery. So now I have the extraction gaps, but the other teeth aren't crowded at all so I think I'm going to end up with space between all my bottom teeth unfortunately as they close the gap.[/quote]

I am also facing the same worrying problem! My upper teeth have an overbite and my 2 front tooth has a gap to begin with. I had extracted 4 wisdom tooth and 2 upper teeth. I am really worried i will have super huge gap between all my 4 front tooth! and my tooth isn't crowded. :( I am getting my spaces on in 2 weeks time.

joeyyeo

#6 Post by joeyyeo »

Well, I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'm sure your ortho know what he/she is doing! I too had premolars extracted, in fact, 2 on top and 2 below! My teeth looked in no way crowded, except for my bottom jaw but apparently I had something called bimaxillary protrusion. Now it's about 10 months into my treatment and it's not visible that 2 teeth were taken out from my mouth!

My upper jaw:
image.jpg

I don't think there's any need to worry, everything will work out in the end :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Upper braces off after 636 days!

rowo

#7 Post by rowo »

I had my 2 upper canines extracted, and the gaps are slowly closing. It hasn't created new gaps between my other teeth, rather the front 4 are moving together backwards to close the spaces. It does take a while though.

ferh

Re: Closing extraction gaps create gaps between other teeth?

#8 Post by ferh »

I had my 4 first premolars extracted a few days ago and I was freaking out a bit since I've read that in order to prevent back teeth from moving forward a TAD would be needed but i'm more relaxed nor after reading your experiences... thank you!