First adjustment and no wires changed

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dana6

First adjustment and no wires changed

#1 Post by Dana6 »

I was so looking forward to having my wires changed today. I'm 49 and even though my orthodontist has given me an estimated treatment time of 20 months, I am hoping it won't be that long. I originally had a .014 wire put in on top and a .012 wire on bottom. My bottom teeth were quite a bit more crowded. I have seen some progress this first 6 weeks but not as much as I had hoped. That's why I was hoping for a larger wire. Am I mistaken in thinking that a larger wire will make things move faster?

Anyway, after a quick look at my teeth he said they would change my ligs on bottom( I have metal brackets on bottom and have ceramic on top with metal ligs) and see me again in 4 weeks this time. I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. I guess I'm being way too impatient!

The good news however is that, unbeknownst to me one of the bottom teeth were not fully engaged in the archwire and now it is. Hopefully that will help move things along faster since I think that tooth is the main one causing the traffic jam on bottom :D

TheKT

Re: First adjustment and no wires changed

#2 Post by TheKT »

What was the reason for changing the ligs on the bottom? What type of braces do you have?

kathydell

#3 Post by kathydell »

I was a bit dissapointed when I didn't get my wire changed on the first adjustment too! But then I learned that they can't progress your wire size too quickly in the beginning or the brackets will all pop off. I also learned by doing some research that I might only have my wire changed occassionally but ligs changed every time as well as other goodies like powerchains & elastics added & taken away. And, that's indeed what has happened. I'm 10 months in and just moved into my "last wire" during my last adjustment. I've had only 5 different wires in total.

chichi

#4 Post by chichi »

TheKT - ligs lose their elasticity and need to be changed often (usually about once a month) in order to keep the wire held tightly in the bracket.

Dana - if your teeth are very crowded, the larger wire can pop brackets off or it might apply too much pressure to your teeth, possibly causing damage. I'm 7 months in and I'm on my 4th set of wires, but there is a user on here (JeniK, I believe) who had her original wires for 5-6 months before they were changed. Everyone is different and your ortho hopefully knows what he's doing. Now that all your bottom teeth are attached to the wire, you'll start seeing some pretty exciting movement :)
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

MrsCharisma

#5 Post by MrsCharisma »

Trust your ortho.

I had the same wires for 2 adjustments. At the 3rd he'd decided there was enough movement to progress.

I get my ligs changed at every appointment (which is every 4 weeks).

Everyone wants to be done quickly...but you really want it done correctly and the two don't always go hand in hand. Good luck.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

SunshineRay

#6 Post by SunshineRay »

I am going for my 7th adjustment tomorrow and have never had the wire changed. I get my ligs and power chain changed every 4 weeks and have made lots of progress.

JohnsonSon

#7 Post by JohnsonSon »

I had the same wires for my first 2 adjustments. Then the each of the next 3 times I had wire changes but since then it's just been bends in my current wires for ~6 months.

I don't think that you can really read into wire changes too much, it'll come when you're ready.

beckyboo0205

#8 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Yeah, my first adjustment was so quick! No wire change. I pretty much got my wire changed every 2 months. But now I think I have 1 more wire to go that I've been waiting for (that's the biggest then) and I've been in this 2nd to biggest wire FOREVER! Ok maybe just like 4 months.

You'll still feel some soreness from no wire change!

saraapril6907

#9 Post by saraapril6907 »

My ortho told me up front that I would probably go several months before he changes my wire. I only have braces on top so far, he said it could be 9 months before he puts my bottom ones on.

skaterpdx

#10 Post by skaterpdx »

Mine told me 3 months before a change...

Shiry

#11 Post by Shiry »

You sound like me, my ortho called me on first night and I asked him about the wire and he said it will Change later...

sara2280

#12 Post by sara2280 »

I went in to get my wire clipped and my ortho ended up just having them do a full adjustment, just after only 3 weeks. He had said that he could tell my wires were still active but told the assistant to flip my wires top and bottom and re-tie. I asked what the flipping was for and she said that by flipping the wire it reactivates them. I thought that was pretty cool. I didn't know that. I had a little tightness right after but that went away quickly. I did however have to change my first official appointment due to this to a week later. So not sure what they will have in store for me then. I may end up going back in sooner though, to get my wire clipped again. It's starting to poke but am waiting it out.

So, maybe ask your Ortho about flipping your wires if you are concerned? Good luck!

Dana6

#13 Post by Dana6 »

Im sorry I couldn't respond earlier! I had to take my computer in to get a bad virus removed. Anyway, its been 2 weeks since my adjustment. Initially, my bottom teeth were pretty sore just from getting the ligs changed. I do feel like my bottom teeth are continuing to improve but not my top teeth. My two front teeth cross slightly over each other in front and that must be something that takes time to undo. I just haven't seen that much improvement on top and they have the bigger wire, .014. Ill try to be more patient. Thanks everyone!