What do you think....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldfart

What do you think....

#1 Post by oldfart »

Since I finally hit a good topic on the 'What do you feel.." Here is the follow up.

The goal of this thread is to hear peoples mental thought about thier braces. Especially pertaining to real life scenarios outside of just tooth movement.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

oldfart

Re: What do you think....

#2 Post by oldfart »

My first thought is this. I need to have a Tad placed in at a cost of $200. But we are broker than broke.

But am at the point in my treatment if I don't do it now, it will postpone completely of treatment.

Thinking about if I should just do it, and place it on a credit card. (Believe it or not, we have one that can only be used for Pet care and dental work.), or do what my wife says and wait until we have the money.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

beckyboo0205

#3 Post by beckyboo0205 »

A lot of times I find myself thinking that I find this process kind of fun! It's totally weird. I've had pain but it wasn't that bad most of the time and, while I don't exactly love these things, I am not sick of them yet and it has sorta taken me back to feeling younger again (in a good way.) Almost like it's a right of passage that I missed as a teenager, so I'm doing it now. Again, totally bizarre!

Matilda

#4 Post by Matilda »

I'm thinking about my wisdom teeth removal. :GapToothed: 9 more days!

Lalaloo

#5 Post by Lalaloo »

Since I have lingual braces, I don't have any social issues ( my speech also is pretty ok). But i am impatient to see my teeth straight. Very impatient. :)

sirwired

#6 Post by sirwired »

I think the braces make me look younger, and not in a good way. My wife is 12 yrs older than I am, I look young for my age, and the braces make me look even younger. And I feel ridiculous being a 36-yr-old Computer Engineer trying to sell contracts that are worth more than I'll make in a lifetime while flashing a mouth full of metal. Luckily most of my work is done over the phone, and I work from home even...

Does it actually make a difference? Likely not, it's most probably all in my head, but that said, what do I think?:

I think I can't wait to get these *bleep!*ing things off.

ljms

#7 Post by ljms »

Right now, I'm nervous about getting my bottom braces on in a couple of weeks because I'll also be getting bite ramps (aka turbos). The next day, I have an all day working group meeting and, two and a half weeks after that, I'm going on a ski trip.

I keep telling myself that teenagers deal with this stuff all the time and survive. As a middle-aged adult, I should have the life experience to handle it. Or, to put it bluntly, I tell myself, "Suck it up, Cupcake." :lol:

SunshineRay

#8 Post by SunshineRay »

I think time really does fly by in braces!

Matilda

#9 Post by Matilda »

I think I'm obsessed with teeth. :shock: :oops:

tee

#10 Post by tee »

Now that I have them myself, I've encountered so many other adults with braces. It's like when you learn a new word, and then you see it everywhere, but with braces. The decision to start orthodontic treatment seems like a no-brainer now, especially compared to the next decision I have to make: surgery or no surgery?

It is hard to believe it's been over 6 months already, but it would be awesome if I could just fast forward the rest of the way.

Sailrgrl

#11 Post by Sailrgrl »

I got my top braces in May 2013, and the bottoms in September. I have molar build-ups, and my bite is always changing, so chewing is hard. I always have a dry mouth, even though I'm constantly drinking water, and my tongue is sore from being so dry. I hate how food is always sticking in my braces and I'm tired of brushing my teeth multiple times daily. All that said, i deal with it and I know it'll all be worth it when I get them off in November 2014. Most days I don't even think of the negatives, but it's been a difficult couple of weeks lately.

SunshineRay

#12 Post by SunshineRay »

Sailrgrl wrote:I got my top braces in May 2013, and the bottoms in September. I have molar build-ups, and my bite is always changing, so chewing is hard. I always have a dry mouth, even though I'm constantly drinking water, and my tongue is sore from being so dry. I hate how food is always sticking in my braces and I'm tired of brushing my teeth multiple times daily. All that said, i deal with it and I know it'll all be worth it when I get them off in November 2014. Most days I don't even think of the negatives, but it's been a difficult couple of weeks lately.
Aww Im sorry you are having a rough time! I got my braces in May 2013 too....just look how fast the time has gone and it will soon be over!

Sailrgrl

#13 Post by Sailrgrl »

Thanks, SunshineRay. When do you get your braces off?
Damon clear on top placed May 30, 2013. Damon metal on bottom placed September 16, 2013.

chichi

#14 Post by chichi »

I am thinking about how much I hate the triangle elastic configuration. It's so front and center and I really want to be able to lick my lips without having to work my way around the elastics.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

kids041

#15 Post by kids041 »

What I think it that my teeth are moving WAY too slow for my impatient self! When someone else (teenager) mentions the shape my bottom arch has changed to (which I am HATING right now), it makes me want to go to the ortho's office and demand that they wire tie more teeth- so they move FASTER!! UGH!!! I hate the way my teeth look so much right now. It almost keeps me from smiling so I don't have to show them. I am going to ask about it at my next apt in 2 weeks. I want him to file down the lower front teeth to minimize the "hump" that I have going on in the front!
The last time I mentioned it- he told me he was doing it on purpose so he could file them down more evenly (I have worn bevels into them with my messed up bite).
Now while I UNDERSTAND what he is going for... it looks so UGLY! I need it to look better.... :ThumbsDown: :cry:

<sigh!!!>.... rant over..... :gavel:
as well as the pity party... +\+ :-((