How long before needing to change elastics?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jtsang

How long before needing to change elastics?

#1 Post by jtsang »

Hi! I just got elastics today. How long can I wear them before putting on a new pair? Thanks!

chichi

Re: How long before needing to change elastics?

#2 Post by chichi »

I usually change mine twice a day. I started out changing them once a day because that's what the assistant said to do, but they lose their elasticity pretty quickly.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

mapleleafman888

#3 Post by mapleleafman888 »

I was told by my ortho that I would need to change them about 4 times a day. I change them after every meal, and at night before bed so this works out to 4-5 times per day.
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

jtsang

#4 Post by jtsang »

chichi wrote:I usually change mine twice a day. I started out changing them once a day because that's what the assistant said to do, but they lose their elasticity pretty quickly.
chichi, I should had google searched before posting here.

http://www.getyourbraces.com/elastics-( ... ands).html

Answered most of my elastic questions :)

jtsang

#5 Post by jtsang »

mapleleafman888 wrote:I was told by my ortho that I would need to change them about 4 times a day. I change them after every meal, and at night before bed so this works out to 4-5 times per day.
I got two baggies of elastics. Would it last me until next month if I change them 4 times a day?

chichi

#6 Post by chichi »

jtsang wrote:I got two baggies of elastics. Would it last me until next month if I change them 4 times a day?
It depends on how many elastics are in your baggies. Mine come in packs of 100.. not sure whether that's standard or not

jtsang

#7 Post by jtsang »

chichi wrote:
jtsang wrote:I got two baggies of elastics. Would it last me until next month if I change them 4 times a day?
It depends on how many elastics are in your baggies. Mine come in packs of 100.. not sure whether that's standard or not
should i pour them out and count?? it's not labeled on the bag..

TMJJill

#8 Post by TMJJill »

I only ran out once. I'm 45 minutes away from my Orthodontist. I called them when I got low and they just stuck a couple packages in the mail for me. No charge, no hassle. :)

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

jtsang

#9 Post by jtsang »

TMJJill wrote:I only ran out once. I'm 45 minutes away from my Orthodontist. I called them when I got low and they just stuck a couple packages in the mail for me. No charge, no hassle. :)
Nice!!

chichi

#10 Post by chichi »

jtsang wrote:should i pour them out and count?? it's not labeled on the bag..
haha that might be unnecessary. Just do what TMJJill says and ask for more if you're running low.

sirwired

#11 Post by sirwired »

I'm pretty sure just about every ortho will mail you more if you ask; they really want you to wear them and they are really cheap. Personally, I changed them every time I had to take them out... that meant after every meal (or snack) and at bedtime. I kept a pack in each bathroom at home, and a pack in each car.

jtsang

#12 Post by jtsang »

sirwired wrote:I'm pretty sure just about every ortho will mail you more if you ask; they really want you to wear them and they are really cheap. Personally, I changed them every time I had to take them out... that meant after every meal (or snack) and at bedtime. I kept a pack in each bathroom at home, and a pack in each car.

Thank you! I will call them when I am low. They are only a couple miles away so I can just drop by for more. :)

mapleleafman888

#13 Post by mapleleafman888 »

jtsang wrote:
mapleleafman888 wrote:I was told by my ortho that I would need to change them about 4 times a day. I change them after every meal, and at night before bed so this works out to 4-5 times per day.
I got two baggies of elastics. Would it last me until next month if I change them 4 times a day?
If you change your elastics 5 times a day that's 300 elastics per month ((150x2)this includes left and right sides). I think the bags are filled to 100. I got 3 bags to start, and I got my ortho to mail me out another 3...I have exactly 2 months between appoinments so 6 bags will work out perfectly.
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

jtsang

#14 Post by jtsang »

mapleleafman888 wrote:
jtsang wrote:
If you change your elastics 5 times a day that's 300 elastics per month ((150x2)this includes left and right sides). I think the bags are filled to 100. I got 3 bags to start, and I got my ortho to mail me out another 3...I have exactly 2 months between appoinments so 6 bags will work out perfectly.
Awesome! Thank you maple!!

Anna5

#15 Post by Anna5 »

The ortho assistant told me to change them once a day, but I think it is much better to change them more often, so I asked for a few extra bags of elastics which was no problem. I change them about 4 times a day.