Canine Exraction to Move Midline

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jessesgirl09

Canine Exraction to Move Midline

#1 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

I have a class III malocclusion (underbite) and I'm going to have my right second canine tooth removed soon to adjust my midline.

Has anyone had this done? Did you have positive results? Has your midline stayed put if you've had your braces off? Any bad pains? Thank you!
Second round of braces. 2007-2009 and again in August 2013.

GillyWeed

Re: Canine Exraction to Move Midline

#2 Post by GillyWeed »

Hey there:)

Are you sure it's a canine they want to pull or is it your second premolar (bicuspid)? I have never heard of a dentist pulling someone's healthy canine toooth. But, I had my first premolar on the top right pulled to correct my mild crowding and centre (as much as he could) my midline.

I get my braces off next week and I'm pretty happy with the results:)

Best of luck!
-Gabrielle

Click here to see my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=41964

Jessesgirl09

#3 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

It's the 28th tooth. It not the Canine, but the one just behind it. It's great you had positive results and this makes me less nervous. I get it extracted on Feb. 3rd. Did it hurt when they pulled the tooth out and when you recovered? Congrats on getting your braces off! :D

altesse7

#4 Post by altesse7 »

My first ortho pulled my bottom canine, I forgot why. It was a very healthy tooth. Now, going through treatment, as an adult, because of what the first ortho did, my line if off. I wouldn't do it, if I were you. Get another opinion....
May 6,2013- Traditional Braces applied
To upper and lower
Length of treatment- 18-24 months
No more Elastics, as of 10/20/14
Horse Lover

Jessesgirl09

#5 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

I wish there was another ortho to get a third opinion but there isn't :( Has it caused you problems? I just want my underbite gone without jaw surgery and he was super confident this will work.

Tlal23

#6 Post by Tlal23 »

I had my premolars on the left pulled a few weeks ago, braces last Friday.
I have pics under another post of mine.

It didn't hurt as such it was just the pressure and feeling of him trying to get it out and the noises. Mine was well and truly stuck. I know some people don't have much of a problem.
Mine healed quite well, the bleeding stopped after an hour.

Can't help in regards to if it worked yet though oh and I had two ortho's recommend the same.

Jessesgirl09

#7 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

Thank you for sharing! I will check out your posts. I did ask for Ativan to help calm me. I'm just a little weirded out with the fact that they will pop my tooth out of my face! Er jaw, Lol

cs2thecox

#8 Post by cs2thecox »

Not orthodontic related, but I had an extraction of a molar with a massive abcess under it.
I honestly can't remember a THING about it, so it can't have been all that traumatic.

My massive piece of advice... take your ipod with happy things to listen to, and work out some hand signals with your dentist and the nurse assisting before they start. Waving frantically should generally get them to stop!

I don't think I had any drugs beyond a whole load of dental anaesthetic, but I still felt like I'd been hit by a truck and was pretty much good for nothing for the rest of the day. I was super glad I only live a short walk from my dentist.

Good luck with it - it will most likely be a bit unpleasant at the time (mostly the noises and the pulling) - but you'll forget all about it super fast.

Jessesgirl09

#9 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

Thanks for the advice cs2thecox! I didn't think about bringing music! I'll have to blast some THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. radio. :thumbsup: I'm also hoping too since the tooth is kinda loose feeling from my braces that it will come out quickly! I'll have to post some pictures soon of what my bite looks like.

JumpTheDitch

#10 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I had 2 x upper second bicuspids extracted for overjet treatment. It was extremely quick, no trouble at all & healed quickly with no problems: you'll be fine. My tip is not to catch public transport home. I caught the tram & a train home from mine; the anesthetic hadn't worn off yet so my face was still numb - I didn't realise til I was nearly home that I had bloody drool on my chin! NOT a good look on PT! ;-)

Good luck!

Jessesgirl09

#11 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

Well, this morning at 11 I went in and had my bicuspid taken out! It was the lower right 28th right behind the canine tooth. I asked for some calming pills so they prescribed me two, 1mg generic Xanax. I took one a hour before and only helped me feel a little out of it. I didn't end up taking the other. I was super panicked today because I could only think the worst! :(

Anyway, I got there and they took me back. My poor fiancé waited in the waiting room. At that point I was still pretty panicked but the pill kept me a little off. My dentist explained she would go slow and explain the process each step she took. First, the assistant took off my elastics and wire, then she gave the laughing gas (helped me relax a bit more but was not laughing that's for sure!) and then three shots along my my outer gum line and one of them was inside the gum line. The dentist popped off the bracket gave me a bite block too because I was so nervous my teeth started to clatter. After about 15 minutes of waiting, she came back in with her assistant and was like "Okay! I'm going to take it slow to make sure you are numb all the way" and started tapping my gums to see if of felt any pain besides pressure. Then, she told me she'd start to wiggle my tooth for about 45 seconds and give me a break. She literally wiggled that sucker like 5 or 10 seconds and it was out!!! Couldn't even feel or hear anything. Not even any pressure!! It was the easiest thing ever and I cried because I was so surprised. You guys were right! :-** Not that I didn't believe ya! ;) After that, she put gauze and my wire with some ugly white elastics back on and Hunny led my groggy self out to the car.

Now for recovery, when I first got home after picking up my pain pills (Ibuprofen 800 mg) I started to freak out. I had to change the gauze because of course it was bloody, but she had put under the wire and by then it had expanded double its size and I couldn't get it out! I almost passed out from looking at the blood. I finally got it out and eventually it stopped bleeding.... From like 11:30 til 3 it did bleed. It's 8pm now and I'm doing fine. Just some mild discomfort but I think majority is from the shot areas. Numbing has wore off and just a little swelling.. I had a nutrition drink and some soft foods. I'll probably wait until tomorrow to salt water rinse lightly because I don't want to disturb the clot. I still find a little blood around my gums.

But! Good news is that there is a big ol' gross gap now to fill and officially be on my way to ending this underbite. I will post pictures of before and after once the area isn't so gorey hehe. I appreciate all the advice!!! :heart: -Alix

Jessesgirl09

#12 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

Here is my gappy!

It's been little over a week and it is almost healed. The office lady told me to put my elastics back in as soon as possible after I stop having pain..... I never really had any pain from the extraction hole which was nice. I think the numbing needle areas in my gums hurt worse!

The hole is almost healed, just a small hole at the top left to go. Does anyone think it's okay now to wear my elastics? I know the office lady said it was okay :P Just kinda scared. I put them in now. The right side where the tooth was pulled feels slightly uncomfortable on the lower jawline and goes back towards the the bottom of my ear.

I feel like there's a weak spot where the gap is, but I'm sure that's just my mind playing games :P

I have one more question, how long does it take for a gap to close? Will elastics help the progress? I have l more photos to share soon but they aren't on my phone :)