What is purpose of this appliance? Pic

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

crocodile

What is purpose of this appliance? Pic

#1 Post by crocodile »

:?:

Hi all. I am starting my brace journey (33 yrs old) in a few weeks. My ortho has installed this appliance in my upper teeth, but I'm not quite sure what it's purpose is? Is anyone familiar with it? It went on without any drama, and I haven't felt any pressure, so I don't believe it is moving any of my teeth. The ortho said it would be on for about 6 months, and she wanted me to have it for 4 wks before installing brackets & wires.

Any idea what it is for?? :tingrin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sirwired

Re: What is purpose of this appliance? Pic

#2 Post by sirwired »

That's a Trans-Palatal Arch. It can provide some mild arch expansion, or hold the arch open if there are going to be some other forces exerted by your braces that might otherwise try to narrow it. It's not going to provide as much expansion as an actual Rapid Palatal Expander would, but I assume your ortho has her reasons for not using one.

crocodile

#3 Post by crocodile »

Thanks for the info. Curious why they want to wait 4 weeks for the brackets to go on... Maybe it is doing some small adjustment.

plugnickel69

#4 Post by plugnickel69 »

You can always ask the purpose for an appliance or why your ortho is performing a particular procedure. He/she should be glad to explain it to you.

loradora

#5 Post by loradora »

Some form of torture.