Uneven front teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nellarmonia

Uneven front teeth

#1 Post by nellarmonia »

I am so distraught! I had some brackets repositioned yesterday and last night I realized my two front teeth are uneven after being straight for months. The dr isn't in on Fridays, but support staff is so I called this morning. They (obviously) can't move the bracket without her and the assistant looked at my chart and pointed out a bracket on one of those teeth was moved (which really wasn't helpful because I knew that) and said I'm "just in an awkward phase right now." The dr won't be in until after New Years at this point so I can't even have her look just to make sure it's correct. For the first time in 6+ months I'm regretting this decision. I'm seeing a bunch of extended family for the first time in the next 2 weeks and now my teeth look worse than ever. I guess I'll have to practice a smaller smile for photos. :(

lambchop

Re: Uneven front teeth

#2 Post by lambchop »

I've been in braces for 29 months now. The amount of 'two steps forward, one step back' 'progress' has been amazing. It's all part of the process. Try not to worry too much about it. You are your own worst critic, and 99% of the folks you will encounter won't notice a thing. Enjoy your eggnog! :lol:

nellarmonia

#3 Post by nellarmonia »

Thanks, lambchop! I hope you're right. And thanks for reading my whiny, childish post. :)

chichi

#4 Post by chichi »

Is it possible your teeth look uneven because they wore down unevenly from all the years they spent crooked? They usually reposition brackets based on root position, so your roots may be straightening up even though your teeth look uneven.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

nellarmonia

#5 Post by nellarmonia »

Definitely not. The past 1-2 months is the first time I've been able to even use my front teeth since I was a kid. I'm correcting an open bite. I can see the brackets are on 2 different positions on the teeth.

I'm feeling better about it after a few days. Still not thrilled, but there's nothing I can do so there's no use being upset. Next time I have something like this I will be sure to not schedule for the last day the dr is in the office! Live and learn.

agrace90

#6 Post by agrace90 »

I just got two brackets repositioned about two weeks ago at my last adjustment, they are a front tooth and a pre molar, on both sides of a canine. All three of those teeth are moving and looking worse than they did before. I trust my ortho and nothing is irreversible, obviously the point of braces it to move teeth and they're doing their job. I think you'll be fine until after the holidays when you can get back in if your super concerned. Good luck!

chichi

#7 Post by chichi »

nellarmonia wrote:Definitely not. The past 1-2 months is the first time I've been able to even use my front teeth since I was a kid. I'm correcting an open bite. I can see the brackets are on 2 different positions on the teeth.

I'm feeling better about it after a few days. Still not thrilled, but there's nothing I can do so there's no use being upset. Next time I have something like this I will be sure to not schedule for the last day the dr is in the office! Live and learn.
Try not to get too worked up over it. Just remember that you're still in braces and your ortho is always able to reposition brackets or make bends in wires to fix this. From what I've seen, things like this won't really add time to your treatment unless that was supposed to be your last adjustment or something.

Keep your head up and trust your ortho. Your teeth will look amazing when you're done and these few weeks will be nothing but a story to tell. :)
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

nellarmonia

#8 Post by nellarmonia »

Thanks for the encouragement agrace09 and chichi! This board keeps me sane through this process.

WiredOldLady

#9 Post by WiredOldLady »

I was told that I'd probably go through an "ugly" stage...right now, my front teeth that used to be very tight, are now spreading out to where I have spaces that I never had before. My ortho says that the spaces will be drawn together later on, probably with power chains.

Not going to worry about it only 3 months in...now, if I was going to be debonded in the next month or so I'd be raising hades, but since I have at least a year to go, its not a big deal!

Go enjoy your family, make sure you have extra nog in your eggnog and have a blast!
Braces off on 8/26/14 after a year!

fosterp

#10 Post by fosterp »

This is completely normal. They have to move teeth into weird positions in the process of putting them in their final position. It isn't as easy as just lining the teeth up in one shot.