anyone tried an acceledent?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newbite

Re: anyone used an acceledent?

#61 Post by newbite »

I don't have Invisalign and I'm using Acceledent. I have self ligating metal braces (Damon). I didn't have any intrusion done (except a little bit to fix a tooth that over extruded early on). I did have an underbite and crossbite and it's all been fixed in a year and my braces will be off in a month or so. If you can get it for a reasonable price I think Acceledent is 100% worth it.
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

jfriend33

#62 Post by jfriend33 »

newbite wrote:I don't have Invisalign and I'm using Acceledent. I have self ligating metal braces (Damon). I didn't have any intrusion done (except a little bit to fix a tooth that over extruded early on). I did have an underbite and crossbite and it's all been fixed in a year and my braces will be off in a month or so. If you can get it for a reasonable price I think Acceledent is 100% worth it.
wish my learning school offered damon system. c'est la vie.

i would imagine your fast progress is due to lack of friction from bracket to archwire, and also the acceledent......sounds like a perfect 1-2 punch to malocclusion to me...

i am going to buy an acceledent if I hit a plateau.

Vive18

#63 Post by Vive18 »

Spoke to another Oral Surgeon today - advised against Acceledent.

jfriend33

#64 Post by jfriend33 »

Vive18 wrote:Spoke to another Oral Surgeon today - advised against Acceledent.
interesting. care to elaborate on that? did they say what the pros and cons were?

it wasnt some surgeon advocating for surgery or something vs traditional orthodontic treatment

Vive18

#65 Post by Vive18 »

it was for surgery in conjunction with ortho.

he was a young(ish) surgeon, who is quite up-to-date (ie willing to do orthognathic surgery with invisalign instead of braces) so i thought he'd be okay with acceledent...
i asked "what about acceldent to speed things up?" when discussing timelines, and he dismissed it straight away saying I definitely don't want to be moving too fast because of root resorption. i didn't press it any further, to be honest, as i'm not very assertive and he was obviously not a fan of it.
i'm 31, and already had braces in the past, so that might have been a factor.

DrJasonKTam

#66 Post by DrJasonKTam »

As mentioned above, AcceleDent's proposed mechanism is to speed up the movement by changing the bone metabolism. This means that the teeth move faster because the bone turns over faster, not because there is more pressure. The incorrect amount of force of the tooth against the bone causes resorption. I will say I think the surgeon may not really aware of the mechanism, but would be interested to hear what the true reasoning is.

That being said, there is also a metabolism change surrounding the surgery whereby after the surgery, metabolism changes during a "regional acceleratory phenomenon" from the purposeful injury to the bone. This is similar to Wilkondontics where your teeth will move much faster after surgery than before.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

scjake88

#67 Post by scjake88 »

I used acceledent and it worked great! Cut down my time from 2 years to 1 year. With invisalign you switch your trays every week instead of every 2 weeks, so they don't get as dirty also.

I have a used acceledent that I'd like to sell, anybody interested?

rimsha87

#68 Post by rimsha87 »

I am currently using acceledent and it really does work. speeds up the treatment and helps with the general discomfort. i am about halfway done with my treatment and thanks to acceledent I will be done with my invisalign in about 7 months. My initial treatment time was 17 months. I change my trays every 5 days! :D

I just want to get done with invisalign before my wedding in december!!!:D

Jacksanlu

#69 Post by Jacksanlu »

I have a barely used acceledent for sale with new mouth piece any size you need and whole case charger and all. It cuts your treatment time in half. Let me know if anyone interested

Jacksanlu

#70 Post by Jacksanlu »

opensourceaugie

#71 Post by opensourceaugie »

@scjake88, I can't view your email but if you have your acceledent for sale kindly drop me a note at opensourceaugie@gmail.com. I'm looking to buy a used one ASAP.
Cheers

djspeece

#72 Post by djspeece »

There has been a lot of discussion about Acceledent here; one of the orthodontists (Dr. Frey) who visits here along with Dr. Tam urged caution in purchasing used devices, as they have a limited number of uses, and perhaps more significantly are not covered for replacement under warranty. Just a "Buyer beware" caution. You can search on Dr. Frey's posts, or simply on Acceledent. In any event, best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

djspeece

#73 Post by djspeece »

freysmiles wrote:Having completed several hundred cases using Acceledent I can attest to its effectiveness. It does sound too good to be true, If you want to see a few treated cases, here is a fun video I put together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbmmhFMQl8s

There have been a lot of questions raised in this forum, so I want to try and clear them up:

-> DO NOT BUY THEM SECOND HAND. They are designed to stop working after 18mo of once daily use, so you'll be stuck with one that goes dead on you with no means of replacing it.

-> Due to more efficient treatment and better outcomes, we include Acceledent in the cost of care for most patients when tooth movement (and not growth) is the limiting factor.

-> It does allow teeth to move 30-50% faster, but much of how fast treatment proceeds has to do with the skill of your orthodontist and biologic variation between individuals. Most patients we treat with it are done with treatment in 6-12 months.

-> It also helps with comfort.

Our office is also a part of a clinical trial using photobiomodulation with a device called OrthoPulse (an LED light) to accomplish the same things as Acceledent. I welcome any questions you have.
So as it turns out, this very thread, the one you are currently reading and is 5 pages long at this point, is the one in which Dr. Frey urged caution on reusing Acceledent! I wonder if this should be made a sticky.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

metalliKa

#74 Post by metalliKa »

Those that are trying to sell their second hand device, did your ortho not warn you about the limited number of usage before it goes dead? I mean if it had reduced your treatment by half...wouldn't that mean you used it for the whole duration of your treatment? Why are you trying to sell it as "barely used"?
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

Lala082008

#75 Post by Lala082008 »

It sounds like the independent study done recently showed no benefit to using acceledent: http://kevinobrienorthoblog.com/acceled ... new-trial/