Ortho MIA?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lorianne

Re: Ortho MIA?

#16 Post by Lorianne »

That's got to feel very unsettling.

Norrie

#17 Post by Norrie »

That is super weird, unsettling, and unprofessional. I would want to know exactly what you're supposed to do in the case of an emergency, and yes, I would definitely go in this week to get your records. You have a right to those records, so don't let them tell you otherwise.

While there, I would play dumb and say, "my insurance company is concerned about the two month closure and whether they should continue payment. Can you provide me with more information about what is happening so that I can relay it to them?".

Also, don't pay for any work until it has been completed. Overall, I think that I'd get my records and move to a new orthodontist ASAP. This office sounds extremely unprofessional and I can't imagine that you're getting a high level of care which bouncing between different doctors in what is an obviously struggling practice. I'd jump ship now to ensure good results and no wasted money.

mommyof4

#18 Post by mommyof4 »

I definitely would be alarmed. That is not normal. I would definitely stop paying and go up to the office and find out whats going on and if they are going to remain open. Good luck with everything.

bmueller

#19 Post by bmueller »

Doesn't sound normal to me. They should at least give some general reason why they are closed for 2 months. Heck, my office would even tell me that the ortho is out this week at a conference or on vacation or something. And they certainly should have some emergency backup and should have informed you of this when they said they would be closed.

klobird

#20 Post by klobird »

Well....the ortho could have a serious illness; the office could be in danger of closing due to unpaid taxes--there are a lot of reasons why they are being so evasive. The ortho may be looking for another ortho to take his place or buy his business....whatever the reason, you have the right to ask if you should be looking for another ortho, and be given an honest answer. They should be willing to answer that without giving you all kinds of information regarding very personal or business issues. If you feel that they are still being evasive, then ask for a copy of your records--but those might cost you. You can do this and still not burn your bridges, which is advisable (the nicer you are, the more info you might get!).