Life with braces has been good until now...is this normal?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Stef

Life with braces has been good until now...is this normal?

#1 Post by Stef »

So other than dry lips and raw cheeks the first week or so, life with braces has been pretty normal. Now all of a sudden my teeth are SO sensitive to cold. Like BAD. Drinking anything with ice is completely put of the question and even I have to use warm water while brushing my teeth. Did this happen to anyone else? It's very uncomfortable.

Lorianne

Re: Life with braces has been good until now...is this norma

#2 Post by Lorianne »

Stef wrote:So other than dry lips and raw cheeks the first week or so, life with braces has been pretty normal. Now all of a sudden my teeth are SO sensitive to cold. Like BAD. Drinking anything with ice is completely put of the question and even I have to use warm water while brushing my teeth. Did this happen to anyone else? It's very uncomfortable.
Funny you should say this cos my teeth are suddenly SUPER sensitive to cold air. It hurts. Ugh. Not sure whats causing this. I bought sensodyne toothpaste and hope it will help.

GillyWeed

#3 Post by GillyWeed »

Me too! As of just last week I've noticed that I can barely eat anything on my left side. Cold, sweet, sour....It's so peculiar because I have had these things on for over a year. I'm sure it's fine but if you're really concerned maybe make a pit stop to see your dentist? But yeah, you're not alone:-)
-Gabrielle

Click here to see my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=41964

nellarmonia

#4 Post by nellarmonia »

Yep! My teeth got hyper sensitive to cold anything a few weeks ago and I freaked out. "Luckily," it started right before I went to my regular dentist for a cleaning and I asked her about it. She even took x-rays of the teeth that hurt and said everything looks good.. must be from movement, etc. I was so scared at my adjustment a week later that everything was going to hurt extra, but surprisingly after that appt my teeth went back to normal. This braces thing is weird!!!

Timetoshine

#5 Post by Timetoshine »

I am 8 months in, and ONLY today did I get a sensitive tooth - hoping tis just 'another crazy thing' happening in my mouth since having braces on, and not sign of a cavity... I am off to the ortho for an adjustment this Friday so will def be asking him.
It is SO sensitive, even to coldish water!
[/url]

Timetoshine

#6 Post by Timetoshine »

Hmmm - my ticker says only 7 months and 2 weeks in :/
[/url]

BracesB4Thirty

#7 Post by BracesB4Thirty »

I had this hyper sensitivity for the first 4-5 months which eventually subsided. My ortho did confirm that it does happen to some people and that I shouldn't be too concerned as my teeth are still moving. Discuss with your ortho to ease your concerns...

PaisleyGrrl81

#8 Post by PaisleyGrrl81 »

Stef wrote:So other than dry lips and raw cheeks the first week or so, life with braces has been pretty normal. Now all of a sudden my teeth are SO sensitive to cold. Like BAD. Drinking anything with ice is completely put of the question and even I have to use warm water while brushing my teeth. Did this happen to anyone else? It's very uncomfortable.
Now that I've read this thread, I'm soooooooooooo glad to hear this is relatively common! I started having sensitivity in a lower lateral incisor, between my 1st and 2nd adjustments. I did make a pitstop at the ortho, as a "peace of mind" appointment. Because I had just seen my regular dentist at the time off my 1st adjustment, we assumed it was most likely not a cavity or other pathology. He unhooked the tooth from the wire and it's been a free agent ever since. It was 1 of 4 teeth (all lateral incisors) that needed the most movement, so it may have been responding extra sensitively to the strain. The plan now is to put a spring between the neighboring two teeth and spread them out a bit to make room for the rogue tooth. The sensitivity eventually died down, and only rarely occurs now. I hate having the tooth out of the wire, though. But I couldn't go on with such sharp pain for much longer -- started with cold drink or air, and moved to any temp drink. Not good! Hope yours clears up soon.
Ortho Consult: 08/05/13
Braces On: 08/28/13
Sentence: 18 months
My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =3&t=45283