New braces at 47!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WindRider

New braces at 47!

#1 Post by WindRider »

Saw I that need to make a post right away per forum rules so here goes. I've been missing both of my lateral incisors my entire life, they never came it. I've lived my whole live smiling like a Jack-o-lantern! I've always been embarrassed by it. Getting older I started noticing some gum issues, knew I had a couple of cavities and figured my teeth were pretty much shot. So I went to get them yanked out and get dentures!

The denture place dentists begged me not to do it after his assessment, said I had good teeth with a few issues and referred me to a very affordable dentist friend. He took care of the cavities and some bonding for abrasion at the upper parts of many of my teeth, and suggested I let him visit with an orthodontist friend of his.

So I ended up at that Orthodontist office, got the spacers, got a W appliance couple of months ago, and this past Thursday they took that out and put in a thick cross palate wire and all my braces. To think, about 3 months again I was settled in to getting all my teeth pulled and having dentures already.

Got a long road ahead still, which will end with a couple of implants for those incisors, but I'm excited, despite the pain and tongue ripping from that W appliance!

Found this forum and saw it was full of great information!

Lorianne

Re: New braces at 47!

#2 Post by Lorianne »

Congratulations Windrider! Sooo glad you got to keep your own teeth and now, they will look awesome to boot! Nice job! Great dentist you saw too that convinced you to keep them and really helped you out!

WindRider

#3 Post by WindRider »

Thanks. They really worked together and I was surprised it cost way less than I thought it would and could make payments. Wish I had done it a long, long time ago.

Lorianne

#4 Post by Lorianne »

WindRider wrote: Wish I had done it a long, long time ago.
don't we all! ;-)

kids041

#5 Post by kids041 »

Lorianne wrote:
don't we all! ;-)
OH yes.... We (meaning me) do!!

Matilda

#6 Post by Matilda »

Lorianne wrote:
don't we all! ;-)
I certainly do! :-+

xanidu2012

#7 Post by xanidu2012 »

Congratulations on your braces. I was 50 when I got braced up. This was my 2nd go round. You are going to love the end results. How long are you in for :?:

djspeece

#8 Post by djspeece »

Kudos to your dental team, and for you for taking their advice! Best of luck in your journey.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

WindRider

#9 Post by WindRider »

Amazing how much your teeth can change in just a couple of weeks. Already my bottom teeth are much more level than they were before. They used to be on a slope. They are certainly quite loose. It's very disconcerting!

WindRider

#10 Post by WindRider »

I've also done much better with soft tissue irritation from the braces that I expected I would. A little in a couple spots on the check the first couple of days, then nothing until yesterday, now I have a new little spot. Nothing a little wax didn't fix. I figured after how my tongue reacted to that W appliance, I would be all torn up, but happy I'm not!

SkizzyD

#11 Post by SkizzyD »

Well done! Brand new to braces as well at 32. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Ciara

#12 Post by Ciara »

I'm in my 40s too and got braces a year ago. It was a good decision even though eating is a lot less enjoyable. Do you know how long you will have braces for? I'll have mine for 3 years - 2 more to go. Oh, I also have a lateral incisor problem too. I'm missing one and have been since my baby teeth grew in. My ortho as a child moved my canine into its place.

kathydell

#13 Post by kathydell »

Welcome and congrats WindRider! I am a ripe old 47 and got my braces last March. Like so many others I can't tell you how happy I am I finally did it! This is a great forum with lots of wonderful people.

WindRider

#14 Post by WindRider »

Initial prognosis was for 24 months.

WindRider

#15 Post by WindRider »

Just thought I'd give an update. Just a little over 4 months with the braces on, incredible changes already, I just can't believe it. I only have two small gaps, one of those very small on the bottom, the other one about 1/3 width of my canine just behind it. Nearly everything is lined up pretty good. They got the gaps opened properly for the upper laterals and I got pontics in there today! First time in my life having a complete smile!! I still can't get used to it!....and in such a short time already!

So now he's finishing closing up the gaps, and I've got rubber bands on to pull the lower jaw back just a bit to take care of the rest of the underbite. Soon they'll be removing that upper cross arm thick wire and he said then the finessing starts, which I took to mean the final touches. I really don't think this is going to take the full 24 months he initially gave me. I'll be surprised if I don't have the braces off before 18 months actually. As soon as they come off I go over to get implants for the laterals. Curious to see how all that is going to work with retainers and such.

Been some unpleasantness here and there, a few days after new hardware were somewhat painful, as are the monthly payments.....but it has all be completely worth every single bit! Wish I'd done this years and years ago!