Ceramic braces on top, metal on bottom. Is this the norm?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sita

Re: Ceramic braces on top, metal on bottom. Is this the norm

#16 Post by Sita »

My ortho rarely puts ceramics on teenagers because they're more inclined to break them but most of the adult patients opt to have ceramic uppers. He doesn't do ceramic lowers at all because of how easily they can be broken. Even if he did do it I am sure he wouldn't have recommended it for me given how deep my bite is. :-)

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

dono

#17 Post by dono »

Ceramic on top and bottom for me.

28monthjourney

#18 Post by 28monthjourney »

According to a few friends who had ceramics, when ceramics are taken off they break into several pieces, which is just about the opposite of what you want to happen when wearing them, because that could prolong your time in braces.

playmaker7206

#19 Post by playmaker7206 »

For those of you that had upper and lower ceramic brackets, what brand did you use?

chichi

#20 Post by chichi »

playmaker7206 wrote:For those of you that had upper and lower ceramic brackets, what brand did you use?
I only have upper, but my ortho offered upper and lower ceramic Damons
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Fidget77

#21 Post by Fidget77 »

Ceramic top, metal bottom seems pretty common. My ortho told me they won't put ceramic on the bottom because there is too much risk of the top teeth hitting against them and knocking the brackets off. Not to mention, most lower lips cover all of the lower teeth so you still won't see the metal. My ortho only uses self ligating braces, but said that I can get the coloured ligs for the bottom if I want them. I'm still undecided at this point. I had originally thought I would go with a light blue, but now I might go clean until the first adjustment and get them put on then. The ligs just seem to make them a little more "fun".

MrsCharisma

#22 Post by MrsCharisma »

Fidget77 wrote: The ligs just seem to make them a little more "fun".
For the first 5or 6 months I'd get pearl uppers, silver lowers. Then I decided to go with color. it's been fun!! The lower teeth are primarily hidden for me so it isn't weird at all. I think this adjustment I'll get a dark color because of some important client meetings I know I have at the end of the month.

But next month I might get something bright! :)

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

amm531

#23 Post by amm531 »

I also have the ceramic on top and metal on bottom. I can tell why this is the norm as the ceramic brackets are a little bigger and I doubt they would even fit on my teeth with all the crowding and overlapping I have going on with my lowers.

I'm really happy with the ceramic on top because it really is much less noticeable. You can't really ever see my metal lowers.

amm531

#24 Post by amm531 »

I also have the ceramic on top and metal on bottom. I can tell why this is the norm as the ceramic brackets are a little bigger and I doubt they would even fit on my teeth with all the crowding and overlapping I have going on with my lowers.

I'm really happy with the ceramic on top because it really is much less noticeable. You can't really ever see my metal lowers.