"Orthodontic Elasitcs" on Amazon... oh my.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sirwired

"Orthodontic Elasitcs" on Amazon... oh my.

#1 Post by sirwired »

I'm on elastics right now, no big deal. Well, I decided to search on Amazon to find out how much these things cost; I was just curious... my ortho, like all of them, gives them out for free.

The customers for orthodontic elastics on Amazon appear to be divided into two groups:

1) People that use them as rubber bands for hair braids. I don't have hair braids, but off-hand I can see why they would work well for this purpose.

2) As DIY orthodontics To close a gap in teeth. Apparently there's a significant group of people that close gaps in their smile by using elastics to simply pull two teeth together, I suppose in a vaguely similar method to a powerchain, just without the brackets.

At first, I thought: "What? Are these people nuts!?!?!" Of course, you can buy all sorts of wacky and/or useless things on Amazon, and people do buy them...

But then I realized that if I had a gap in my smile, didn't have the thousands needed for orthodontics (or hundreds needed for a bonding), and wasn't aware of how orthodontics worked, I might very well consider giving a cheap little pack of elastics a try.

I'm not endorsing this treatment; more likely than not it's not going to move the teeth correctly and they are going to end up at a bad angle, tilted, etc. But I can certainly applaud the ingenuity involved.

kittenpoint

Re: "Orthodontic Elasitcs" on Amazon... oh my.

#2 Post by kittenpoint »

Those gap bands are bad news, they can cause problems with the gums and roots leading to big problems down the line.

JohnsonSon

#3 Post by JohnsonSon »

You could buy all the brackets, wires, rubber bands, etc that you need for DIY braces on amazon if you really wanted to.

I could see the humor in that as a spectator.

kittenpoint

#4 Post by kittenpoint »

I honestly wonder if someone has actually done that and what the results were. Though how would you cure the bracket to the tooth surface...
Invisalign Started - 2/12/2014
25/25U - 5 Attachments
25/25L - 7 Attachments + 2 Metal Buttons
Elastics Started - Bears - 4/3/2014 | Latex Problem - Switched to Latex Free Jellyfish - 8/7/2014
Attachments Removed - 1/5/2015
Elastics Finished 2/9/2015
Bonded Upper Retainer - 2/9/2015
Removable Hawley Retainers - 3/5/2015

Anna5

#5 Post by Anna5 »

So here on youtube somebody who did it all himself! Very impressive how he managed to close his open bite on his own!
That must give the open biters on this forum good hope. If he can do it himself without surgery, than our ortho's must also be able to do this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txwM4N93mo8

MrsCharisma

#6 Post by MrsCharisma »

Ditto the "gap bands" being bad news and I would automatically call YouTube guy's treatment a "success". We don't really know what his bite looks like and if he caused any other issues.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

kittenpoint wrote:Those gap bands are bad news, they can cause problems with the gums and roots leading to big problems down the line.
There used to be a website where a guy sold elastics to put around the teeth to close gaps. I don't remember the name anymore. Anyway, it is a BAD idea. The elastics can get lodged up in the gumline. And as we all know, you can't just move one tooth without the rest of them moving, too. If you try to close one gap at a time, you will just create another gap next to it. And mess up your bite in the process. Bad idea all around.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

kittenpoint

#8 Post by kittenpoint »

Anna5 wrote:So here on youtube somebody who did it all himself! Very impressive how he managed to close his open bite on his own!
That must give the open biters on this forum good hope. If he can do it himself without surgery, than our ortho's must also be able to do this!

I'll admit that was impressive and I suppose if he's happy with the results and the possible problems that he might have caused then more power to him I guess. :)

Now I'm really curious on how he got the brackets to stay... I think I'll go look it up for fun :lol:
Invisalign Started - 2/12/2014
25/25U - 5 Attachments
25/25L - 7 Attachments + 2 Metal Buttons
Elastics Started - Bears - 4/3/2014 | Latex Problem - Switched to Latex Free Jellyfish - 8/7/2014
Attachments Removed - 1/5/2015
Elastics Finished 2/9/2015
Bonded Upper Retainer - 2/9/2015
Removable Hawley Retainers - 3/5/2015

ajs604

#9 Post by ajs604 »

Anna5 wrote:So here on youtube somebody who did it all himself! Very impressive how he managed to close his open bite on his own!

Haha just watched this how do these crazy people get these ideas, still looks like it worked!! May have to try this myself if all else fails :)
Started treatment to correct open bite non surgically

My Story so far: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=44572
TAD's inserted into upper pallet 9/5/13
Braces & intrusion appliance fitted 23/5/13 - journey has now fully begun.
1st adjustment 2/07/13

Anna5

#10 Post by Anna5 »

ajs604 wrote:Haha just watched this how do these crazy people get these ideas, still looks like it worked!! May have to try this myself if all else fails :)
Ha ha, just get some elastics from Amazon, Andy, and you will surely get your bite closed! :D