Never thought I'd be back...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JumpTheDitch

Never thought I'd be back...

#1 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I've been meaning to post for a little while now, sort of re-introduce myself I guess.

I had braces about 7 years ago (as an adult), and joined Archwired when I was newly-braced. Archwired was quite different then, with a really active community environment, and posts and replies were being made all day long. It was a great resource and made the time in braces fun. When I found myself staring down a diagnosis of "Retracted Mandible" some years later, along with the shocking revelation that I needed to go back into braces to fix it, I started snooping around the internet looking for similar stories. Which, of course, lead me right back to Archwired :roll:

Since then I've been mooching around the edges, meaning to post my story for anyone else who found themselves in my situation, and goes looking for info like I did. I'll get round to posting some pics and details another time. I just wanted to say something that's been on my mind since I re-activated my profile in Archwired :

I NEVER THOUGHT I'D BE BACK

Last time I was happy to be taking control and fixing a problem that had always bothered me. I didn't mind (mostly) wearing metal braces, and apart from some serious tenderness when archwires were changed (think blending sushi rolls for tea), braces didn't really bother me. This time is different. Although I made the decision to go ahead with my treatment, I felt like I really had no choice. Either dive back into the world of orthodontics (now in a very different phase of my life), or live with a jaw splint for the foreseeable future (doing nothing was literally not an option). Last time I was happy with all-metal, and was never tempted to try for inconspicuous with ceramic. This time I wish they were completely invisible.

So far I've managed to travel part of the journey (hopefully) back to orthodontic health with minimal public display. My upper expander mostly only shows if I smile, and my lower brackets while metal aren't too obvious. This all changes tomorrow though. I'm over the moon to be getting my expander out, but I'm really dreading getting upper braces again :( . While I know it's no one's business but mine (and the bank managers :lol: ), I can't help but resent having to go back into braces now. I hate to admit it but I'm embarrassed to be taking my kids to childcare and school and showing up in braces. Not that I have any opinions on other adults I see in braces, far from it. I guess part of the problem for me is that it's not visibly obvious why I have to wear braces again. Only a few close friends know my story and why I had no option but to go down this path; to everyone else my teeth look beautifully straight. Which they are. Unfortunately for me, they're also pulled back so far that my lower jaw was rammed into the TMJ sockets. Which sucks, but isn't immediately obvious to people when they clock that you have braces. You can see the confusion on their faces as their brains go "Oh, she has braces. But her teeth weren't crooked, were they? Wait a minute, they were really, really straight!". I get embarrassed when people clearly notice my expander/braces but don't mention it. I want to shout "I really did need to get braces, I didn't just want to!" Ergh. This wasn't meant to be a moan. Tomorrow is D-Day for me; I can't avoid it any longer - tomorrow I'll be fully braced. Again. Which made me wonder (and is really supposed to be the purpose of this post) - Are there any other Archwired Alumni out there?? Anyone else going through not only braces for the second time, but Archwired for the second time??

Anyhoo, thanks for reading: Good luck with your treatments :thumbsup:

JeniK

Re: Never thought I'd be back...

#2 Post by JeniK »

Welcome back!!

Anna5

#3 Post by Anna5 »

Welcome back and good luck with your treatment!

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

Sorry that you have to come back....but we're still here for you! Best of luck the second time around!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

JumpTheDitch

#5 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Thanks guys, I'm glad Archwired is still here!

xanidu2012

#6 Post by xanidu2012 »

Hi. Im not an Archwire Alumni but I too had to do a 2nd go round with braces (age 50) but it was truly worth it. I am so going to take care of my teeth from here on out. Welcome back and best to you on your journey :rose:

djspeece

#7 Post by djspeece »

My teeth wern't that bad either, so I know the look you describe. When one of my colleagues questioned me about the need for braces, I told her that I wanted to have the nicest smile in the cemetary. I use that line a lot, most often with my serious face. The look it creates in others is just priceless.
Welcome back, and best of luck.
Braces are bracier, the second time around. (Apologies to the lyricist for "Second Time Around." http://www.metrolyrics.com/second-time- ... liams.html)
:D
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

kids041

#8 Post by kids041 »

djspeece wrote: I told her that I wanted to have the nicest smile in the cemetary.
:D
That is GREAT!!! HAHAHAHA!!! :-*